Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

• RMweb Gold

D9531 & D9537 illustrated on the Hatton‘s site with pictures of the prototypes. Sadly, no picture at all for the Ashington one.

There's a picture up now on Hatton's

http://www.hattons.co.uk/283644/Heljan_1411_Class_14_National_Coal_Board_Ashington_No_4_in_NCB_blue/StockDetail.aspx

Good to see.

Cheers,

Keith

There's a picture up now on Hatton's

http://www.hattons.co.uk/283644/Heljan_1411_Class_14_National_Coal_Board_Ashington_No_4_in_NCB_blue/StockDetail.aspx

Good to see.

Cheers,

Keith

Thank you. I see that the pictures of the originals have been replaced by sketches (or whatever the techie term is). The price has risen by £10. Well done to anyone who got in quickly!

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have a Heljan 14 on pre-order coming next year :-)

I understand the 14 has had some problems in it's past.

Does anybody think Heljan will have fixed these issues for this next batch?

I suspect they will, but got to ask   :biggrin_mini2:

I really am looking forward to my 14, but it's nice to be prepared.

I understand they have been known to adjust models on a second batch, I'm thinking class 33 roof.

Sorry if this has already been asked or offending to Heljan.

Thanks.

Edited by swiftbeam

Loctite Super Glue Plastix is the stuff.  It glues all my Kadee couplings onto kits and models that do not have coupler pockets.  It does wonders for gluing on those little bits that keep getting knocked off.  It is what I have used to glue on the brake hangers and steps (too many times, fat fingers) and answers the question.

Edited by MG 7305

Loctite Super Glue Plastix is the stuff.  It glues all my Kadee couplings onto kits and models that do not have coupler pockets.  It does wonders for gluing on those little bits that keep getting knocked off.  It is what I have used to glue on the brake hangers and steps (too many times, fat fingers) and answers the question.

We're gluing plastic steps to a metal chassis; would the Loctite glue still work for that?

• 4 weeks later...

I have just bought second hand a Class 14 complete with Ultrascale wheels in P4. The next job is to make up some of the recently introduced coupling rods from Brassmasters for this loco. The photos taken  taken off the Brassmasters web site.

post-20690-0-82505600-1513627016_thumb.jpg

post-20690-0-27844700-1513626991_thumb.jpg

I remember the locos as when I went to University in Cardiff in 1967, I saw a row of these locos at Cardiff Canton depot, never saw one move though!

David

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

AAArgh.....

They've done D9555.

That was the one I rode on from Burradon Colliery to Backworth C Pit, and even got a chance of a drive.  Stopping was interesting as the brakes didn't work too well.

One model ordered.  My poor aching wallet.

Les

Hopefully it won't have as many parts drop off it as the class 05 (which is a nice running model when it doesn't derail on dropped parts - such as cab steps and bufferbeams).

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Managed to get around to filming a short video of my Ashington No.4, which arrived last week. Really is a fine model. Not only is it my first Heljan Model, but also has to be one of the smoothest runners I've ever had straight from the box! Was a bit worried after hearing stores about the first batch, but seem the mechanism has been overhauled completely.

Here's my short video of the Class 14 in action, shunting a short rake of NCB stock. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI8I6gFXx3Q

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My NCB version is on its way back to Hattons tomorrow. Asked Hattons to fit a decoder (as I've usually found that fitting decoders in Heljan models can be a pain) which they did but as soon as I put it on the programming track it shot off like a rocket. Tried again putting it on the layout and it did the same. I've never seen a Heljan model go so fast.

Phoned Hattons on Saturday and the young lady I spoke to said it must be something wrong with my control system but tried to explain to her that that is not really possible as all the locos placed on the programming track before and after the teddy bear acted normally and did not try to take off.......

Be interesting to hear what Hattons say when they get the model back.

Keith

PS: Must say its a beautiful model and will make a good partner for the recently acquired NCB Janus

PS: Must say its a beautiful model and will make a good partner for the recently acquired NCB Janus

Got mine today but had no time to test but looks great with the previous NCB class 14. Shame we have another 12 months to wait for the Bachmann NCB 03 shunter

Got mine today but had no time to test but looks great with the previous NCB class 14. Shame we have another 12 months to wait for the Bachmann NCB 03 shunter

The provision of NCB locomotives is a start but can we have some NCB internal user wagons to accompany them?

So far Bachmann have produced a Manvers triple pack and Accurascale to do a triple pack of Onllwyn HUO's.

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

The provision of NCB locomotives is a start but can we have some NCB internal user wagons to accompany them?

So far Bachmann have produced a Manvers triple pack and Accurascale to do a triple pack of Onllwyn HUO's.

Mark Saunders

I'm looking forward to the appearance of these

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/ncb-internal-user-or76mw7030

and also bought some Railtec NCB transfers to make up a few internal user wagons of my own:

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2199

and now to buy one of the new NCB Class 14s to go with the Janus... should make a nice pair.

cheers,

Keith