DLT's NG Workbench - Back to The Hunslets

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Whilst still prevaricating, I made some finer replacement cabside handrails, using Gibson short Handrail Knobs and 0.7mm brass wire.

As four identical parts were needed, I did them in one go.  Threaded eight knobs onto the wire, placed two inn the holes and soldered them; move on to the next two and solder them, move on etc.

168425111_IMG_1459small.jpg.10ba39c8263093048c2571f0c56d56cf.jpg

Cleaned up and blackened the whole lot in one go

542491330_IMG_1469small.jpg.2969cfe90526528b59139ccd9297bc9f.jpg

Cut to length and ends cleaned up.

877578997_IMG_1481small.jpg.44218506546a3bcb923fc90a5f735a2a.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

At last made a start on the lining, using a GW Loco Lining sheet from HMRS.  

As it looks when applied, with the corners reversed:

857608516_IMG_1486small.jpg.c0efe6d5b939724792ba78380729160d.jpg

And with the outer lines painted over to create black borders:

1707959885_IMG_1492small.jpg.b3430cb874e57dfca69d0a96a9800736.jpg

I think it looks ok (if horribly enlarged!).  Tranfers and brushed paint will be varnished when dry.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Finished one side, now need to psyche myself up to do the other!

1310001335_IMG_1503small.jpg.749d7c123c318f6860a2be2b99b72370.jpg

I re-did the border along the top of the tank so its deeper and below the line of rivets.  

The curve around the cab-cutout was a right pig.  There isn't a curved bit on the sheet of the right radius, so its a bit of a cobble-up using three separate pieces.

Also need to go over the black again, as the closeup photos show the orange coming through.

1723228054_IMG_1507small.jpg.c92f47bee45331fe168cf076e2ddffcc.jpg

The frame colour looks a bit bright now, its Railmatch Goods Brown/Bauxite.  Maybe I'll mix some Indian Red with it to darken it down.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 12

Very nice Dave - would I be right in thinking (I seem to remember a Don Townsley article about Austerity saddle tanks*) that Hunlset liked to paint everything black with coloured panels? In that case would the tank fronts and upper cab panels be black? The tank turn-ins and cab entrances certainly look a bit odd at present but maybe that's just me?

Adam

*I've always fancied doing a Hunslet saddle tank in a Hunslet factory scheme - nicely fussy to my eye.

Edited by Adam

• RMweb Premium

Hi Adam,

Thanks very much.  I wasn't aware of that painting policy, but it would certainly make sense.  

Photos of Gowrie show it as I have painted it, with the tank turn-ins in colour.  When I do the other side I will probably do it you suggest. and compare the two.

All the best, Dave.

Have to admit, this is the sort of thread that prevents me ever getting any modelling done. Reminds me how far I am from the expertise I need to do it to the standard I'd wish, to be satisfied with anything I produced.

Also, doesn't it point up how different 0 gauge looks in photos, to smaller scales? I can definitely see why it's having such a revival at the moment

• RMweb Premium

Have to admit, this is the sort of thread that prevents me ever getting any modelling done. Reminds me how far I am from the expertise I need to do it to the standard I'd wish, to be satisfied with anything I produced. 

Err, not sure how to respond to that Mr. Rockershovel.  I certainly hope my work doesn't actually prevent anyone else modelling, but I have been at this loco building lark for over thirty years so I guess I've progressed a bit in that time.

Also, doesn't it point up how different 0 gauge looks in photos, to smaller scales? I can definitely see why it's having such a revival at the moment 

I take my hat off to anyone who undertakes a lining project like this in smaller scales, this one made me go cross-eyed!

Anyway, back to the loco.  It's all back in one piece, and will make an appearance at the ExeterGOG tonight.  Theres still a few more bits to stick on, and thoughts needed about weathering and a bit of polishing perhaps.  I've filled in all the black bits around the cab entrance and the tank fronts as Adam suggested.

Need some new plates for it, I'm sure Narrow Planet will oblige.

I will try and get some photos done later.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Err, not sure how to respond to that Mr. Rockershovel.  I certainly hope my work doesn't actually prevent anyone else modelling, but I have been at this loco building lark for over thirty years so I guess I've progressed a bit in that time.

I think that's where clubs and enthusiastic exhibitors can be a boon and convince people to have a go. Dave is always up for encouraging people and very modest about his fine work so it's not intimidating. I found with my Swiss layout that once you told them the rocks were Das clay it was like an ice breaker because it was a material they were familiar with. One of the reasons I like RTR and RTP stuff is it is a good first step to get something running then encourage them to experiment and be prepared to try again.

I was lucky to start kit building with a lot of encouragement from experienced modellers who said don't worry you can sort it if it goes a bit wrong. I don't know why people think they should be good straight off when you have to practice a lot at any skill, be it maths, driving or most importantly baking cakes ;)

I think that's where clubs and enthusiastic exhibitors can be a boon and convince people to have a go. Dave is always up for encouraging people and very modest about his fine work so it's not intimidating. I found with my Swiss layout that once you told them the rocks were Das clay it was like an ice breaker because it was a material they were familiar with. One of the reasons I like RTR and RTP stuff is it is a good first step to get something running then encourage them to experiment and be prepared to try again.

I was lucky to start kit building with a lot of encouragement from experienced modellers who said don't worry you can sort it if it goes a bit wrong. I don't know why people think they should be good straight off when you have to practice a lot at any skill, be it maths, driving or most importantly baking cakes ;)

Indeed. I've been learning to lay track at the club, which I would never have done on my own. But soldering has always defeated me, at least to any sufficient standard, and the same goes for painting.

• RMweb Premium

Lining is done thank goodness, went cross-eyed with that lot, bit I reckon it was worth it.  Still lots of places where some touching up with black paint is needed, and various bits and pieces still to stick on

I've repainted the frames a bit darker, the colour is Bauxite and SR Goods Brown (both Railmatch) mixed 1:1.  Name and worksplates are the old ones, just held on with Blue-Tack for the photos.

802366982_IMG_1515small.jpg.5d8e1fb2c7535f7b50db98ecb50b9865.jpg

The other side looks slightly different, with black frames

1325255679_IMG_1520small.jpg.c114e656a48538e14c3b15d94f57df2c.jpg

Sorry, can't resist a couple more photos....

965666495_IMG_1513small.jpg.d81dadbfffff10e90a2e1e4de00bb766.jpg

2104580715_IMG_1517small.jpg.df28a272cffb256ea615dccf7e0facd2.jpg

All the best, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Looks fantastic. I think I like the side with black frames and green cylinders the most. In fact it is your locos and rolling stock that inspired me to also do some locos in pre and post-war liveries on different sides!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Following the success of this one, I'm going to repaint my other Hunslet tank Boadicea and consign the malachite to history.  I will probably go for a lighter green, and I bought a pot of Railmatch 621 LNER "Darlington" Green yesterday to try out.  Wanted to get 620 "Doncaster" green as well to compare, but the shop was out of stock.

There seems to be just as many arguments about the exact shade(s) of LNER green as there are about what "Crimson Lake" actually is or was.  My guess is that the North Eastern and Great Northern works simply carried on painting locos the way they always had.

Anyway the paint looks a reasonably good match for the Isle of Man "Ailsa" green, so I'll give it a try.

See:  https://www.accucraft.uk.com/products/mona-iom-live-steam-2-4-0t/  and a little way down this page:  http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/Isle%20of%20Man%202013.htm

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The old girl is pretty much finished now, apart from awaiting some new nameplates from NarrowPlanet.  All the bits have been stuck back on, and a modicum of weathering and toning down of the brightness has taken place.

The various plates are temporarily fixed for the photographs.

1436764919_IMG_1801small.jpg.c6802c25758b49ecf63ea96a612c3107.jpg

202897396_IMG_1804small.jpg.d45eb781f7733776d11cd3c9516d3d08.jpg

447791652_IMG_1810small.jpg.d70d861501e04ecb7f9ce17d85b58205.jpg

I thought I had overdone the weathering on the smokebox and surroundings and cleaned it off again.  Looks too clean again now...

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Right, on to Boadicea.

This pic shows some of my painting and lining tests, the colours are from left to right:

Railmatch BR Loco Green (as used), the dreaded Malachite, Precision Paints GCR Green, and far right Railmatch LNER "Darlington" Green.

234126232_IMG_1818small.jpg.bda909e0aeab5dd33e9856f1e7597376.jpg

Boadicea will most likely reappear in the "Darlington" Green, either with LNER black & white lining:

1010372693_IMG_1824small.jpg.f3c48abaf3757533918b8a60e5cd8d94.jpg

Or LMS black & pale yellow

588807426_IMG_1819small.jpg.c2c70248e8591396c5e1f358ccce455a.jpg

I think I prefer the second.

Railmatch don't supply "Darlington" green in a spraycan, only "Doncaster", but that won't matter as Boadicea will probably need to be brush-painted anyway; it doesn't come apart so well.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 4