DLT's NG Workbench - Back to The Hunslets

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

Ah! makes me feel better about my soldering brass - I usually end up with too much solder.

Thats fine, as long as you don't end up with more solder than brass!

• RMweb Premium

Hope to see it out again on the circuit sometime soon, i'm sure you've got a few bookings up your sleve!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Barnstaple in July; and just been confirmed for Railwells in August. Better get it finished by then.

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Nice work on the cow catchers. They will be very visible.on the finished loco so well worth the effort.

Thanks very much Rob, I knew that as a "signature" item they would have to be good.

I looked around for a comercial item, to no real avail. Chivers produce a very nice cast brass cowcatcher for their Tralee & Dingle loco kits, but those locos were over 7 feet wide and it would look all wrong if it was cut down. I'm talking to a friend about etching, but I'm not sure how practical that is; the bars are bent in both planes and the ends are twisted in opposite directions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With the cowcatchers finished (at last) and fitted, it was time for some clearance trials.

The loco ran all round Charmouth without fouling anything, so its time to get on with the detailing.

Cheers,

Dave.

1714309267_P1040516Small.jpg.468ac0c41f9b3ffc9b7859a451d58c15.jpg

1417158202_P1040522Small.jpg.bcda6759d8ea31f2b83f9de3dd4093c2.jpg

1438098903_P1040518Small.jpg.83aee14e59bcc9cf4f5f03f1b38cc755.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The engine looks great Dave. Even looks like that it is 'floating' over the road crossing!

Are you going to bring along to Exeter, as I would like to see this one (will look a little of place on my layout and will not pass through the bridge!)

• RMweb Premium

Can't help thinking if Daleks made steam locos, would they look a bit like this ?:unsure:

But I havent used a sink-plunger or egg-whisk in the construction :D

• RMweb Premium

no, for that it would need guns instead of buffers.

Buffers ?? are they deliberately missing?

Hi Kenton,

Centre buffer/coupling, "chopper" type, represented by the Fleischman hook & bar coupling. Not perfect, but it passes muster and works well.

If the chimney mounting looks a little strange, its because its not fixed yet, its sitting on a blob of Blu-Tack.

Cheers,

Dave

Centre buffer/coupling, "chopper" type, represented by the Fleischman hook & bar coupling. Not perfect, but it passes muster and works well.

Looka a bit like a tension lock nasty little hook to me and rather small to withstand buffing up against a full wagon - especially in proportion to the heavy substantial presence of the loco.

• RMweb Premium

Looka a bit like a tension lock nasty little hook to me and rather small to withstand buffing up against a full wagon - especially in proportion to the heavy substantial presence of the loco.

Yes its a tension lock, but in the flesh its not too obvious. There isnt a "standard" coupling for 7mm narrow gauge. Many folk use the Kaydee system, but the buckeye style looks too "un-British" to me.

There are various couplings on the market nowadays, but when I started there was nothing remotely suitable, so I began with the Airfix & Fleischman narrow hook & bar. Very successful it was too. Trouble is, I've gone too far to change now; refitting all my stock would be a major task.

Several years ago I experimented with producing my own chopper couplings in cast brass. They looked nice but needed very accurate alignment for auto coupling, and the mould/casting cost was prohibitive, so I didnt persue it.

Don't know if you read Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review, but in the latest issue a freind describes the development of his own scale coupler system for 7mmNG, also in cast brass. He is having considerable success, and they look great, so things are happening.

Cheers,

Dave.

Don't know if you read Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review, but in the latest issue a freind describes the development of his own scale coupler system for 7mmNG, also in cast brass. He is having considerable success, and they look great, so things are happening.

No I don't, sadly, there is a limit to the number of associations, magazine subscriptions that I feel able to keep up with (and not really into 7mm NG .... yet) it is possibly a way down the list. (as good as it is, from the odd copy I've seen)

Perhaps a word in your friend's ear to come on RMWeb and tell us about the couplings.

It is an area in OO9 that I am constantly fighting with and in both 4mm/OO and 7mm/O am not 100% content.

• RMweb Premium

Working on all the detail bits seems to take for ever, but I couldnt resist taking some more photos of the loco with more of the pipework added.

It looks even more Dalek-like now!

Cheers,

Dave.

PS Some of the pipework looks a bit droopy because it hasnt been fixed in place yet (and wont be until its painted)

65569066_P1040527Small.jpg.cb67208d986043713a62c689bb960185.jpg

1071698216_P1040528Small.jpg.098aa445105ffc4e843277d133cb8c8c.jpg

604585311_P1040535Small.jpg.3bf37f4e63d6b61e9848bd0099f3465a.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looks great Dave. Are you going to bring it along to the show at the weekend?

Yes, but its not dcc fitted (yet) so I cant test it on your layout. It would foul the loading gauge anyway...

• RMweb Premium

With almost all the detail bits done, its time to think about painting. First job is cleaning and blackening. The whole loco was scrubbed with scouring powder and an old toothbrush, rinsed off and cleaned in an Ultrasonic cleaning tank.

Once dry, all the bits were dunked in/brushed with Carrs Metalblack for Brass, rinsed and dried again. Blackening is beneficial as it prevents the bright shiny brass showing through should you happen to chip or wear off any paintwork later on.

Cheers,

Dave.

495192886_IMG_9826Small.jpg.5648265abc5a36cd802ca1352d43cebe.jpg

1415700169_IMG_9828Small.jpg.709bc2fb690b74b3507083ff02c5cdf1.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Moved on to the the painting stage now.

The whole thing was sprayed matt black with a Halfords spraycan, and the colours applied by brush.

The body colour is LMS Red from the old (and much missed) Humbrol "Authentic" range. One coat today, another one tomorrow and that should suffice.

Buffer beams red and cab interior buff.

Looks a bit plain at the moment, but will look a lot better when lined, weathered, all bits added etc.

Cheers,

Dave.

1761660151_IMG_0382Small.jpg.a320aa5bb5d6b054953211c16d610036.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Had a few problems with the red paint used, it never really hardened properly. And as I wasnt entirely convinced with the colour I washed it all off again :(

Once I'd done this I realised how nice it looked in plain black, but I persevered with red and its now been painted with Railmatch Indian Red.

Looks great, photos later.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

The Railmatch Indian Red seems to have been a good choice, and its been followed up by some HMRS Pressfix Lining; GWR Looc to be precise.

Boiler and one side lined so far, then eyesight needed a break!

Cheers,

Dave.

708993360_P1040616Small.jpg.5816dbf49263e567f6895b6e19510784.jpg

721710942_P1040617Small.jpg.053c3616081eaf24ddf5bf2a7762e71c.jpg

815835521_P1040621Small.jpg.462c491d34580e5e8aa898586db5673a.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 2

HI Dave

That loco is looking very good and yes i think the new red looks a lot better as well, the other red in my baggy eyes just did not look right to me.

Can not wait to see this loco at the Branstaple show , keep up the good work.

All the best

Darren

PS the cleaner must have worked over time on thta brass dome :lol:

• RMweb Premium

I wasnt sure whether the sideskirts should be lined, so I've tried it on one side only.

I need to carefully varnish over the lining as its very shiny at it is, and catching the light too much, playing havoc with the photos.

By the way, the sandpot is just perched there at the mo, and not fixed at a wonky angle!

Cheers,

Dave.

662128146_P1040624Small.jpg.116892b829c25504a524ff266ef338eb.jpg

1958045707_P1040625Small.jpg.8309a8094c8f9ba270129ddda1cb64a6.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1