NERAG

The Black Hat

Well, I don't know about you, but Black Hat's post looks tongue-in-cheek to me ... and as if the manufacturers read and take note of every post ... you're painting a picture of some kind of modelling "Big Brother" with its eye on every minor thread on a web forum, taking note of off-the-cuff random remarks, and then saying, "Well, that's it, no toys for the rude boys in the north-east". I didn't realise that posting things on a public forum as part of an on-going conversation constituted an "approach to the manufacturers"?* rolleyes.gif wink.gif

David (another one)

Tyneside

*Well, seeing as the all-seeing eye of officialdom is apparently reading this thread, can I have my bins emptied a couple of hours later, and would the Bridge Hotel put Old Rosie back on the bar please? Thankyou, the used fivers are in the envelope in the usual place. wink.gif

Yes the original post about Midland rubbish and dross being produced was meant to be more witty and light hearted. If other people want those models fine, but for those of us up here.... its going to be a quiet year...

So I'd recomend Camerons Strong Arm, or some Theakstons rather than Old Rosie!

Hmm, as I've got a Derby Lightweight kit ready to start, I'm a bit miffed...

Midland 3F? Popular loco, although I do take the point about it not being from this area :) . Ugly? Well, not as much as the 4F, for sure, but that's another topic ;) . I'd have preferred the H-boilered one, but there you go :)

I'm sure that the J21, J27 etc will appear in due course though.

Guest Max Stafford

I really do reckon we'll get some more suitable 0-6-0s for our own manor if the 3F is a success.

Think of it as a test prototype for greater things! :)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I dont know why areas with rich industrial heritage are not modelled, especially those with such a long relationship with railways. Like the North East...

Hi,

not wishing to point out the obvoiuse but it is a limited market.

Don't get me wrong there are people out there who want industrial items but compaired to the overall market share then i would sick my neck out to say its 1% or even possibly less of the SMALL railway modeller market in the UK.

cheers

Simon

Guest Max Stafford

Hi,

not wishing to point out the obvoiuse but it is a limited market.

Don't get me wrong there are people out there who want industrial items but compaired to the overall market share then i would sick my neck out to say its 1% or even possibly less of the SMALL railway modeller market in the UK.

cheers

Simon

I don't believe David was specifically requesting 'industrials', Simon. I think the remark was lamenting the fact that an important industrial area (specifically in railway terms the North Eastern), is largely unrepresented in terms of off-the-shelf model railway equipment.

That however, I am convinced, will change significantly over the next two to three years though. Change is most certainly in the air!

Dave.

Hey Id love to see both.....

I was not thinking of many industrial locomotives, such as Peckett saddle tanks, or Hunslett ones too... but rather the fact that a lot of industrial heritage like of coal mines, railway sidings like those of Shildon, wagon works, steel plants, steel foundires rarely gets a mention, nevermind being modelled. As a result, the scene isnt there for the North Eastern engines Id like to see made, but neither really are branch line operations possible, given the lack of locomotives there too. While other regions engines found their way to our part of the world, you still need kits to make a NE region layout look the part....

• 3 months later...

So.... how are all those North Eastern area modellers doing at the moment, whether your modelling the north east like me, or are in the north east modelling somewhere else......

Right now, being a stauch supporter of north eastern heritage, and the advancement of the ideas that north east engines should be produced for the masses in model form.....

Ive got a BR Green Early crest, Castle class locomotive on the desk! blink.gif

So.... how are all those North Eastern area modellers doing at the moment, whether your modelling the north east like me, or are in the north east modelling somewhere else......

Right now, being a stauch supporter of north eastern heritage, and the advancement of the ideas that north east engines should be produced for the masses in model form.....

Ive got a BR Green Early crest, Castle class locomotive on the desk! blink.gif

Well, the North Eastern had brass cabside numberplates...

Alas, "life" has got in the way - no modelling at all for about a year. BUT, I have boarded out the loft, so sooner or later I'm going to get around to something. Afraid it will be well south of the River Tees, however. More south of the Thames in fact ...

Alas, "life" has got in the way - no modelling at all for about a year. BUT, I have boarded out the loft, so sooner or later I'm going to get around to something. Afraid it will be well south of the River Tees, however. More south of the Thames in fact ...

Hope you enjoy building your layout but can I ask....

1. Is your choice of area based or influenced on what stock and locomotives are available to model that area?

2. That you might want to model the North East but no models are available to model the full range?

3. Theres more of a family/childhood/personal connection involved and its a matter of preference?

4. Or a combination of all of the above?

Hope you enjoy building your layout but can I ask....

1. Is your choice of area based or influenced on what stock and locomotives are available to model that area?

2. That you might want to model the North East but no models are available to model the full range?

3. Theres more of a family/childhood/personal connection involved and its a matter of preference?

4. Or a combination of all of the above?

No problem asking!

1. No. I laid the basis of my plans well before everyone and his modelling dog starting producing RTR third-rail EMUs and Southern locomotives. Hornby had only just upgraded their original Bulleid pacific!

2. I've thought that a model of part of one of the colliery lines would be interesting, but I'd build kits if necessary.

3. I used to live south of the river.

4. This wasn't a series of questions was it? ;-)

No problem asking!

1. No. I laid the basis of my plans well before everyone and his modelling dog starting producing RTR third-rail EMUs and Southern locomotives. Hornby had only just upgraded their original Bulleid pacific!

2. I've thought that a model of part of one of the colliery lines would be interesting, but I'd build kits if necessary.

3. I used to live south of the river.

4. This wasn't a series of questions was it? ;-)

Thanks for that.

Its just that I understand people want to model different areas, even if they are not from there. Modelling is all about individual choice and that difference is a cause for celebration. We can all admire each others perspectives on layouts and how they are run, engines used, etc. Yet, I think that the availability of stock to model an area is a factor in the decision for whether people choose some areas. While a fair few, like yourself would have a personal reason and connection with an area, it means that its possible that other people in other areas, could choose to model the North East, should the appropriate stock and locos be made available.

Im passionate about the north east, and champion the idea that it would not take much to make modelling the north east easily possible, if a few engines of north eastern heritage were produced for steam locomotives. Its easier as DMUs and standardisation in locomotives mean that modern image caters for just about everywhere. My real interest is in being able to run both steam and diesel and my layout is based upon a preserved railway meeting a national connection. The thread for it is here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/14497-bishop-auckland/page__p__133758__fromsearch__1&?do=findComment&comment=133758

Even preservation has problems with the sheer number of north east engines, and wider eastern region area locomotives that were scrapped too quickly. Darlington, for all its finesse at building locomotives, was also too eager to rive them appart. As a result, a Black 5, being a lovely workhorse is now as much an adopted Eastern loco for the sheer frequency with which they are assosiated with preserved lines, such as the NYMR, deep into the North East shedcodes. We now see other region engines there to boost the numbers. If its in BR green with a crest most people dont notice the difference. Standards certainly look right anywhere. I was impressed with Olly Cromwell at Battersby... looked very nice! As a result, my choice for the engine "thats definately looking out of place" has become a Hornby model of a Great Western Castle class locomotive... which are fine locos too. Ive chosen the preserved 5080 Defiant to be the subject for the model, the name seeming fitting given its appearence up no'th on my line. I like looking at other areas, models of them too, and personally sypathise with areas that are clambering for the models theyd wish to have too.

Id just hope that companies see the prospects for growth and the scope of models that could be made for a north eastern ish area layout... being down to the likes of Yorkshire, Humberside etc too. That way people both from round here and in other areas could model the area more.

That said if people want to model other areas, then as I said at the start its up to them. Together, we are here to admire each others work, and to share an interest....

very true, thanks David! along with lots of Austerities (including standard, gas producer and giesl fitted ones), an orange Jinty, blue and green panniers, maroon 04 and blue class 14 (a North Eastern survivor transferred south) plus a Knightwing Sentinel and whatever else I decide to do horrid things to...

very true, thanks David! along with lots of Austerities (including standard, gas producer and giesl fitted ones), an orange Jinty, blue and green panniers, maroon 04 and blue class 14 (a North Eastern survivor transferred south) plus a Knightwing Sentinel and whatever else I decide to do horrid things to...

Sounds like an impressive group of locomotives. Just wondering what shade of grime some of them might end up as, or is your Colliery the one that prides itself on its fleet and they are all clean?

Archived