S&DJR Special interest group

Tim Hale

• RMweb Gold

OK OK Guilty as charged...

...firstly to see who would bite first... so well done Ian!

and yes secondonly I was taking a liberty with the J and was refering to the nothern S & D as some one on here once got very upset that S & D was used for anything other than Stockton and Darlington...

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't help that the Somerset and Dorset is commonly referred to as 'the S&D', and I've never heard the Stockton and Darlington referred to that way in common usage, only as 'the Stockton and Darlington'.

To my mind both the S&DJRs are proper :D and I like them both.

• RMweb Gold

The particular appeal (to me) of the Salisbury and Dorset (JR), is that it is typical of other South Western cross-country routes that existed in the central rural area. They were large enough to attract some decent size through trains, both freight and passenger, and small enough, with basic branch line trains, to have that indefinable "character". The infrastructure was so individual that a well-thought-through freelance layout could be convincing.

Quite right Peter. It is certainly an interesting little line and although the trackplans of the majority of the stations are very simple, there is still ample operating interest from through trains and branch trains of varying length. Also there are examples of light engine workings and large locomotives hauling small trains (a Bulleid Pacific with 2 coaches comes to mind). And of course, if you were to model the last days of the line, you have Bulleids hauling single brakevans and also length demolition trains. As well as a contractors Simplex which was also used for said trains.

As you say, the infrastructure was also very varied for such a short branch line. Although Breamore and Verwood are very similar in appearance, others such as Downton, West Moors and Fordingbridge had completely different styles.

Hopefully I will be able to portray some of this in my layout (still unnamed at present).

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking at satellite imagery along the old route today and was reminded that the railway bridge that crossed the Avon south of Downton was no longer there. After looking through reference books I am still none the wiser as to what this bridge actually looked like. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it looked like and was made of?

Also, there appears to be numerous overbridges south of Alderbury Junction. There is one that appears to be fairly narrow but quite long as it has to bridge the gap between what looks like a cutting - again, any ideas as to what construction it was of. It looks to be brick. It is still there and can be seen on satellite imagery.

TIA,

Jam

• RMweb Gold

The particular appeal (to me) of the Salisbury and Dorset (JR), is that it is typical of other South Western cross-country routes that existed in the central rural area. They were large enough to attract some decent size through trains, both freight and passenger, and small enough, with basic branch line trains, to have that indefinable "character". The infrastructure was so individual that a well-thought-through freelance layout could be convincing.

There's a rich seam here, methinks.

Very much my take. Having only worked on the SE and the Central, the lost lines of the SW are a bit of a grey area for me. I knew vaguely of Castleman's Corkscrew, but this thread has amplified my knowledge in a most positive way. And some of the modelling we are seeing is top-notch, too. A mist is lifting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This just about completes my father's collection of images from he S&DJR during the 50's, there are a few more of West Moors.

Is anyone still interested

Tim

Definitely!

Guest Belgian

I've just noticed the bit earlier about the "three S&D" lines started by Muz.

If one is going to talk about the two S&DJRs as S&Ds then no-one has made the point that they are actually joined to each other by the S&D - the Southampton and Dorchester Railway, otherwise known as Castleman's Corkscew, or The Old Road.

JE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having travelled to West Moors from Waterloo via Brockenhurst for school holidays in the late fifties and later living in Moorlands Road from 1965 to 1976 I've found this thread very interesting. My maternal grandfather Ernest Stone opened the first chemists shop in Verwood and frequented the Albion pub in the station yard.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few more images I came across while browsing

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream West Moors

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream Wimborne

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream Wimborne again

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream all Wimborne

Edited by Blandford1969
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any info as to the nature of structures at the MoS buffer store at Burgate and any photos of the Skew Arch nearby as well?

I am thinking about modelling both since I have started construction of Breamore Station and would really appreciate further details if there are any out there.

(Click on the image in my signature if you have not already had a look at the progress I am making of Breamore Station and are interested)

Oh dear, whys that Tim? Seems a pity after you put all that time and effort into it. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying thats disappointing.

Hopefully it returns soon, I'm off to Wikapaedia in the meantime!!! :derisive:

Tongue stuck firmly in cheek!!!

Edited by aussiebrfan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As someone who lives pretty much next door to the old line, I thought I'd go out and explore for an hour, just to see what is left after the section from Breamore to South Charford had been reopened as a footpath/cycle way. I had done part of this section before, but as it was during summer when the nettles were as high as I am tall I didn't get too far.

What struck me was the sheer number of bridges and level crossings along just this one mile stretch. Although it was getting dark so I am probably inaccurate, I counted at least 12 bridges/culverts and 5 level crossings. Most of the fencing is still there, and there are a couple bridges still standing. There are also many abutments where bridges once stood. I was saddened to see that the combined beam/brick arch bridge at South Charford has gone, but I'm grateful the route is passable and is a lovely little cycle ride. It has inspired me no end! Some photos:

post-6776-0-84865100-1327531203_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-75946300-1327531232_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-11331100-1327531255_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-88686400-1327531299_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-46618700-1327531325_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-44724500-1327531346_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-00901700-1327531369_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-90183600-1327531394_thumb.jpg

By the way, I will probably be visiting the large metal and concrete bridges near Ringwood (as I will hopefully be building one) sometime soon, so I hope that will be of interest too. I'm hoping to cover a lot of the route, and cycle as much as possible in the coming few months.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This week has seen what appears to be the demolition of the majority of the northbound platform at Breamore to make way for access for housing. The site plan can be found on the NFDC website here:

http://web3.newfores...es/197071_2.pdf

What a shame! I had heard rumours about housing being built, but didn't realise it was actually happening.

The site has quite poor access, so I'm surprised this is going ahead in all honesty.

There appears to be 5 plots for houses in the pipeline, and by a quick glance of the plans it appears as though they are keeping the face of the northbound platform, it didn't look like that when I glanced over the bridge today. Will have to double check as the view was slightly obscured by the amount of soil at the site.

All I can say is thank goodness the station building is a listed building!

EDIT - in my panorama above, basically the platform left of the land rover has gone leaving just that white fence as the end of the platform now.

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam