Jerusalem Works - Withdrawn

Pinkmouse

Its looking rather good I'd say, I am abit worried because my plan is very similar to yours (well it has a traverser). I just hope I ccan match your superb stanadrd of modeling.

Thanks Will. Remember I'm relatively new to all this as well, this is the first layout I've made for thirty years! The only real advice I can give regarding modelling is twofold - firstly really LOOK at the prototype, and secondly, always strive to do your best, even if it means ripping something apart you thought you'd finished if it doesn't look right or work properly. Of course, it's pleasing to have nice comments from others, but don't forget that your opinion is the only one that's really important when it comes to end results.

Anyway, I look forward to your progress, and the world really needs more traversers! :)

Al,

Great to see you back in action on Jerusalem Works. Certainly DCC does make the wiring much easier on a shed; way, way, way easier! Are you going to start working on the Eridge chaps........?

Dunno yet, I'll have to see if I can get the hang of it all first! :)

Have you conquered the traverser yet?

I have a cunning plan. But, that's about all currently...

If you want more variety on the rock face, either look at cork bark (that is the basis of mine on Portchullin) or go and get some big lumps of coal and make rubber moulds from these?

I'm happy with the relief of the rocks ATM, I just need to play with the colouring. Still, give it a month and I might be ripping them out and changing them again.

The proposition that I gave you in respect of Jerusalem Works some months back is still there by the way..........!!!!!

Yeah, still need to build more stock though. ;)

Well, I'm waiting on relays from Maplins, so once again, time to shift jobs.

I whacked a coat of paint on the shed this morning, and now it's dry, I've been installing the lighting, and making a start on the roof.

And an overall view:

post-6908-12621847803341_thumb.jpg

Here's a quick pic looking in the door:

post-6908-12621849076126_thumb.jpg

Still to do - lots!

Make the doors and windows, build the smoke vent louvres, (not looking forward to that one!), tile the roof, add internal and external detail, finish painting and weather...

Today, I've been playing with memory wire, and built the four TOUs needed for the layout:

post-6908-12623854618609_thumb.jpg

Still need to add mounting brackets, but all the major work is done.

I've also added a 5V bus, in black and yellow, for powering the TOUs and lighting, etc. This is again 2.5mm squared, running off a switchmode PSU. All relays for switching the polarity of the Vees are now in place and wired, so tomorrow should see the first points up and running:

post-6908-12623857716989_thumb.jpg

Oh, and I also wired in the Bachmann loco decoder to the T/T, so that whizzes around quite nicely too!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been playing around with some other bits and pieces whilst there was little distraction from RMweb. :)

First up is one of the yard shunters. It's a High Level RSH 14" kit, and it went together superbly. I've customised it a bit with different detailing parts, and I'm redoing the handrails on the cab doors rather than at the back of the cab, (they just looked wrong there!) - I just can't leave things alone! Chassis is next up, and I'll crack on with that this weekend.

post-6908-12635104112673_thumb.jpg

Next up, made whilst watching the snooker, the coaling stage for the little shed. Offcuts of embossed plasticard, cut up lolly sticks, and a little bit of beech veneer for the steps. A fun little project. The lighting in the pics has rather overemphasised the weathering, it looks a lot more subtle in real life.

post-6908-12635106900495_thumb.jpg

And a rear view - a little iron strapping has been added to reinforce the corner where all the coal will be stacked.

post-6908-12635107670575_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Nothing like a bit of RMweb down-time to get us all modelling, eh :D Although your progress here is really fast anyway, at this rate you can build another challenge layout before the deadline :)

Really looking forward to seeing the shed with the lighting. That RSH tank looks rather nice too,am I wrong or have you extended the cabsides to accommodate the new position of the handrails? As for the coaling stage, I thought lolly sticks were round :blink:??

Nothing like a bit of RMweb down-time to get us all modelling, eh :D Although your progress here is really fast anyway, at this rate you can build another challenge layout before the deadline :)

It's only fast because I have no work on at the moment, once that picks up I'll slow down to my usual glacial pace. ;) However, if I do finish early, I do have a cunning plan

Really looking forward to seeing the shed with the lighting. That RSH tank looks rather nice too,am I wrong or have you extended the cabsides to accommodate the new position of the handrails?

Yup, so am I. Still need to work out how to do the louvres though, first experiments have not been totally successful. The loco is a very nice kit, I was going to do a build thread, but it went together way to quickly and easily, I got into the flow and just forgot to take pics!

Cabsides are original, I think the size of them is one of the reasons why the existing handrail looked wrong. I haven't fitted the handrails yet as I plan to do this in a fancy livery with lots of lining, but that has to wait until the weather warms up enough for spraying.

As for the coaling stage, I thought lolly sticks were round :blink:??

Well, the ones I have are rectangular in cross section - they are for ice lollies rather than the boiled sweet on a stick type. ;)

Are you using switches to control your points turntable and traverser? or are you going to use the dynamis?

I'll use the Dynamis. The T/T is a bit of an experiment as it has less needs in the way of indexing. I'll use the decoder chip to drive it, with a microswitch to cut power when in alignment. A relay driven from the function output will then bypass the microswitch when I want it to start moving again. It may work, it may not. we'll see! :)

Not had the modelling mojo today, but here's a pic I took, (and played with a little), a couple of days ago:

post-6908-12636609678579_thumb.jpg

The sepia was to try and distract from the unfinished bits, but I think it's gone a little too Edwardian! Perhaps I should put a nice Midland compound on the build list. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Work was cancelled today, so in between housework and stuff, I started on the low relief workshop. After much playing around with SE Finecast arches and suchlike, perusal of books, and website searches, I came up with a Midland influenced architectural style. It's not completely accurate, but I think gives a suitable feel:

post-6908-12662622212136_thumb.jpg

So far I've just assembled the foamboard structure and made the main wall panels. Still to do, cut out the rest of the windows and make up some pillars to fit between the panels. Oh, and design and build the windows themselves.

If you look closely, you can also see a small doorway, with a circle in front. This is a mock up for a wagon turntable/capstan shunting affair. It won't operate, but should add a little interest to the internal narrow gauge system.

• RMweb Premium

I've just been through this thread from top to bottom, and I love it. I especially like the sepia photo (and don't care if it takes a little too far back in time) and for some reason the iron strapping on the back of the coal stage struck me as a particularly well observed bit of modelling.

The downside is that I am beginning to realise how far I have to go, and the standards I will have to meet...

Keep it coming,

George

...and for some reason the iron strapping on the back of the coal stage struck me as a particularly well observed bit of modelling.

Thanks George, but it's just putting yourself in the situation and thinking what you would do - the coal stage is a bit rickety, the gaffer won't authorise the docket for some new timber, I know, I'll pop down the works and get the machinists to drill out a few holes in some scrap strapping and nail it on, it'll do for the time being... ;)

The downside is that I am beginning to realise how far I have to go, and the standards I will have to meet...

The only standards you need to meet are your own, but if I've inspired you to push yourself a little harder, then my work here is done! :D

Seems to be bursting beyond the confines of the coffee table Al? Can you use the wagon t/t as a coaster? tongue.gif

Very nice though smile.gif

Nope, it's still strictly in the 4x2. So far....

The wagon t/t is a bit too small for a mug, but would just about work for a small expresso cup, quite fitting for a coffe table really, I might have to laminate it up for when I'm finished!

• 1 month later...

Well, time for another update. Not a huge amount done since the last post, buts here's how it stands so far.

First up, the RSH. A really cute little engine, and a pleasure to build. Having a few issues with paint, (first time I tried acrylics), so I may strip it down and redo it. But it runs like a charm with a TCS MC2 decoder:

post-6908-126884723979_thumb.jpg

Next up, a little detail touch, a wooden walkway across the tracks, usual business, cut to length point timbering with a bit of woodstain. The far end by the low relief workshop will lead to a cobbled surface:

post-6908-126884745151_thumb.jpg

Next up, a diminutive continental visitor!

post-6908-126884771033_thumb.jpg

Yup, it's N gauge! I was out buying a new kettle after the last one blew up this morning, and on the way home decided to pop into the local model shop to see if they had any of the Peco underframe kits to use for making my narrow gauge stillage wagons for the works line. Found the kits, but also spotted the green bogie thing on sale for cheaper than two of the Peco jobbies. So, a little screwdriver work later, and we have a suitable underframe ready for mutilation:

post-6908-126884802521_thumb.jpg

I've also laid the narrow gauge track, infilled the centre with Das and scribed the cobbles. Das is laid and setting for more of the cobbled walkway. Here's a pic with the RSH investigating the new arrival:

post-6908-126884835575_thumb.jpg

Back soon!

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear you now have a new kettle, the future of the layout is safe again smile.gif

I like the cobbles. I notice you haven't laid them completely flat between the rails. Is that prototypical or just the way it came out? (that's a genuine question, not a critique!).

Glad to hear you now have a new kettle, the future of the layout is safe again smile.gif

It was a close run thing for a while, I can tell you! :D

I like the cobbles. I notice you haven't laid them completely flat between the rails. Is that prototypical or just the way it came out? (that's a genuine question, not a critique!).

An artistic interpretation. ;) I wanted to suggest age and wear, and to get an impression from normal viewing distance I had to slightly exaggerate the effect. we'll see how it looks once the rest is done.

• RMweb Gold

"Artistic interpretation" - I like that, must take notes for future use biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I know what you mean about sometimes having to distort things to make them look real. It's a very interesting aspect of modelling that is sometimes forgotten in our efforts to model the real thing as closely as possible.

Guest jim s-w

Indeed so

Sometimes something in the real world is so subtle that when translated to model form it can often look just like a mistake or poor building.

As always great stuff on this thread B)

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Great layout Mr.Mouse, looking very effective. Can I ask you a question on a different topic?

Did you finish your 4MT kit that you were describing on the old forum? I've lost track of it, and it was a thread I was following closely.

Cheers,

Dave.T

Hi Dave, the 4mt is currently on hold, I need to get down to the Bluebell to take some detail pics of the topside, and time and weather have been conspiring against that recently. However, I've noticed one of the others is running at the end of the month, so I may well pop down and see how I get on. So stay tuned, that thread will come back from the dead! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thought it was about time for a new progress update.

As its been a nice day today, I took the opportunity to move outside, and I've been making a start on finish painting the stone retaining walls.

post-6908-127081690116_thumb.jpg

A view through the access to the fiddle yard. I think I like it! :)

post-6908-127081697814_thumb.jpg

The trusty M7 is still hanging around, the traffic office obviously haven't found it a return working back to Tunbridge Wells West yet. The stonework is definately coming together, but the brickwork needs a little more work yet. Painting is a mixture of pound shop acrylics and Wickes tester pots.

And on to the other side:

post-6908-127081724223_thumb.jpg

Main painting has been done on the low relief works, a bit more blending is required though, but I'll do that once the windows, (hopefully etched from my artwork by PHD of this parish, once I get some spare cash), and internal lighting has been installed. I'll also add coping, downpipes, etc.

post-6908-127081742483_thumb.jpg

Here's a little more detail, showing the scribed cobbles and the Mikes Models watercrane, modified with a working lamp using a warm white LED. Just out of shot is a concrete pad set in the cobbles where a yard crane, (much modified Ratio) will be fitted.

So, an overall view so far:

post-6908-127081766918_thumb.jpg

And to finish, a cruel close up:

post-6908-127081771128_thumb.jpg

Wot no padlock??? :D

Archived