White Pass & Yukon

dibber25

I recently bought a second Railmaster kit for the White Pass & Yukon GE 'shovel nose' diesel. This has prompted me to get on and complete the one I started building several years ago. They look better in pairs although, on my trip in 2007, I did also see them in use singly. The models are S scale (1:64)and run on 16.5mm gauge track (14.5mm is more accurate but involves a lot of modification to the RTR Atlas chassis). Railmaster makes the Anvil ore cars used for freight traffic until 1980, and a caboose, but today's trains are virtually all passenger trains and there's no suitable passenger stock, as far as I am aware. Does anyone else out there model WP&YR in this scale? If so, what do you do for passenger stock? If I was to get some passenger car sides and ends etched, might you be interested (no obligation)?

CHRIS LEIGH

(now let's see if I can post this on Andy's newfangled site!)

I don't model it but I have ridden on it. Under steam power to boot. Must have been about 1997.

I have a feeling that Frateschi at one time produced some stock for this line. i think that they would have been H0.

My lasting memory is of a couple of Baldwin locos from about 1947 lying on their sides half buried in the undergrowth near the terminus.

Bernard

A sheet of styrene, an X-Acto knife, a bottle of MEK and a plan is all you need

true.... and lots of time. I was hoping someone might know of a shortcut (ie kit) but didn't hold out much hope. There could be a run on the Evergreen 'car siding' styrene sheets at T4U but only if I can find some time.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The White pass sell some things in HO, namely overton passenger cars and a Bo Bo that is a bit like the newer GE's but is just a repainted standard HO product. They also have a steam loco in their catalogue. All available in the White pass website. I would be interested in where you got the loco kit from for the shovelnose.

Jamie Guest

The Railmaster 'shovelnose' is a pewter kit in S scale (1:64. It is a fine kit with last wax brass details. It is intended for 14.5mm track (scale 3ft gauge) but can be put on an HO chassis for ease. Railmaster also makes a WPYR Alco kit (for use with a custom-made North Yard chassis, and a pack of three flatcars with lead-zinc ore containers. However, they don't make any passenger cars. Oh, and there's a Baldwin 2-8-2 kit, as well.

Website at:

www.railmaster.co.nz

CHRIS LEIGH

Railmaster makes the Anvil ore cars used for freight traffic until 1980, and a caboose, but today's trains are virtually all passenger trains and there's no suitable passenger stock, as far as I am aware. Does anyone else out there model WP&YR in this scale? If so, what do you do for passenger stock?

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris,

You might find something suitable amongst the several makers of kits for D&RGW passenger cars. The Cimmaron kits are sadly out of production but there are others available from wiseman model services

http://www.locopainter.com/store/category.php?id=34

and trout creek

http://www.troutcreekeng.com/tcsn.html

or if you're feeling really extravagant PBL

http://www.p-b-l.com/

Hope this helps. You might also try asking the question on the Sn3 Yahoo group (although they are mostly D&RGW types there must be someone on there doing WP&Y).

Andy May

(Hon Sec SSMRS)

Thanks for that. I shall try one of the Wiseman DRGW open platform coaches. looks pretty similar to some of the older WPYR cars. I had to work late on the magazine a couple of weeks back and took the pair of GE shovel-noses in to run on our test track. Two Atlas RSD 4/5 chassis (the old Kato-built ones) with quite heavy pewter bodies on. They ran beautifully all evening, so it'll be worth assembling a decent train for them to haul.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived