Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

Good luck with your project - the hobbit holes look very good so far.

I like the idea of having dwarves running the railway and the narrow gauge decision suits the theme nicely. I don't think hobbits would be mechanically oriented enough. I think you are heading in a direction that hits the right notes - which is tricky.

Because with the Shire, Tolkien romanticized bucolic village life before the industrial revolution and he despises the 'infernal engines' of Saruman's invention, it is very hard to marry steam engines (the very embodiment of the industrial revolution) with Middle Earth.

It is easy to imagine an alternative Sharkey's Shire with trainloads of hobbits being packed off to work slavishly in some dark Satanic mill atmosphere. Steam engines fit well into this nightmare vision, but it would be quite an unattractive topic.

It looks like you are walking this tightrope quite well and I look forward to your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

The project is progressing, the loco is now all but complete with a handfull of wagons. I have also been painting Hobbits, as they are large figures, they take a lot of time each.

I will set up the camera, take some piccies and add them over the weekend.

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Looking interesting.

If things aren't too far advanced, have you thought about doing something very different with the track? Perhaps looking more like an early tramway/plateway, with short rails and stone block sleepers. Stub points, with rotating sections to avoid crossings would be interesting. Many alternatives to the familiar mechanisms were tried in the early years of railways, and lighter stock, slower speeds allow

different choices to be made.

Dave

Looking interesting.

If things aren't too far advanced, have you thought about doing something very different with the track? Perhaps looking more like an early tramway/plateway, with short rails and stone block sleepers. Stub points, with rotating sections to avoid crossings would be interesting. Many alternatives to the familiar mechanisms were tried in the early years of railways, and lighter stock, slower speeds allow

different choices to be made.

Dave

I am playing with ways to replicate baulk road with some form of bar or timber cross members but my track making abilities would not result in a layout which ran too well if I had to make my own points etc hence the trails.

Best wishes

Simon

I like the look of this, you seem to have made a good start at keeping the unreal 'real'

it reminds me of the Far Twittering and Oysterperch Railway in a strange way.

cheers

I like the look of this, you seem to have made a good start at keeping the unreal 'real'

it reminds me of the Far Twittering and Oysterperch Railway in a strange way.

cheers

Thank you, I saw that one once and loved it. It is too easy to get too serious about a hobby, I am really enjoying the opportunity to let my imagineation run riot and as somebody has mentioned, nobody can say I have the wrong number of rivets on the models!!

Simon

• 2 months later...

I think I said something about, regular updates to keep the motivation etc going - FAIL!!!

Anyway, the first loco is now all but complete, things have been really busy with my N gauge exhibition layout and lots of shows all over the place, a couple of weeks holiday and then back to work to construct the boards for Hobbiton End - working in a woodwork workshop has lots of advantages!!

Yer tis -

post-3347-0-26475400-1312671261_thumb.jpg

More soon

Simon

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

Following our conversation yesterday at Minehead, good to see an update.

I do remember reading this thread a while ago and admiring your buildings. Certainly a change from your N gauge!

Funnily enough, family just watching Lord of the Rings (Part 2) whilst tapping on my laptop!

• 11 months later...

ooer, nearly a year to the day since the last update, oh dear mega bout of shame my way please!!!

Anyway, I have a batch more hobbits painted as well as a couple more buildings. I also have now completed the construction of the main scenic board for the project complete with curved fascia and open frame work ready to start laying track.I will add a couple of piccies tomorrow assuming there is no rain and I can set it up outside to photograph.

So the p[roject is now back on track, sorry terrible use of phrase there!

Regular updates to follow..,.,

Simon

• Like 1

Here are the piccies as promised,

firstly during the fitting of the curved backsacene, one advantage of constructing them at work, space and loads of clamps!!!

post-3347-0-45483200-1344105236_thumb.jpg

This is the completed framework with the structures loosely in position.

post-3347-0-35644700-1344105084_thumb.jpg

Now an overview of the layout on its legs, I know this will upset some people as I am building it at such a height, around 1 metres to track height but it is my preferred level to work at.

post-3347-0-09743400-1344105145.jpg

The station will be nestled into the side of a hill with the hobbit holes burried into the hillside, from below track height to around 15" above it at the highest I am thinking.

Next job is to sort out the spare room to get enough space for this and Polpendra at the same time, ooer!!

Then I will get started on the trackwork, longitudinal timbers with occasional cross members deeply ballasted intot eh scenery is what I am thinking at the mo, peco rail and buried peco pointwork with sleepers removed. Deep burying the track will help hide all that away as I do not have the confidence to build my own track, I actually want this layout to run well!!

Simon

• Like 6

hehehehe, I totally agree. I would love to think this will get to a standard high enough for the shows. I get the feeling that it is different enough to get the interest for invited as well!

Having now sorted out how it is going intot he stare room, trackwoirk can begin.

Simon

A few additional piccies for your comments/enjoyment/disgust etc...

Some of the new characters ready to move into Hobbiton End

post-3347-0-05074800-1344288327.jpg

The second locomotive is on the way again it is Dwarf driven.

post-3347-0-80904800-1344288309.jpg

Stockwise, although no passenger stock has been constructed, I have started with the goods stock, SDR wagons from Dundas kits and a pair of scratchbuilt wagons for the bales of pipeweed.

post-3347-0-12374700-1344288334.jpg

I have even found some toadstools to paint up for possible use although some are way too large for the layout so will not be used, they are the same height as the hobbits!

post-3347-0-41346100-1344288318.jpg

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

This is outstanding stuff. Just goes to show what can be achieved when imagination is let off the leash. Please can we have more pictures? I have a daughter who's an avid LOTR fan and something of a closet railway modeller. She will love this.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words, I appreciate it. Yes I will be adding more piccies as the layout develops, now that I have the scanic board built, the development will be rather quicker than just 1 update a year!

I wanted to build this layout for several reasons, Lord of the Rings was my favourite book when younger, I have read it numerous times and was rather concerned when they decided to make the films. I think LOTR is the best trilogy ever produced and have watched them on numerous occasions as well! At around this time the games workshop started their massive range of LOTR miniatures which is what really got me thinking but then iI came across the range of halflings form a company called 'Of Flame and Fire' who trade through ebay, I love their miniatures because the are not only very well modelled but he are almost characitures so give a whole new depth of fun to the project.

The design lends a lot to a layout by Chris Nevard called Cement Quay, it was one of the few layouts I saw that had a fully curved backscene but totally open one end -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevardmedia/3918740659/in/set-72157612040179807

This style would suit my plan really well so has been incorporated!

Simon

Lord of the Rings was my favourite book when younger, I have read it numerous times and was rather concerned when they decided to make the films. I think LOTR is the best trilogy ever produced and have watched them on numerous occasions as well!

Funny you should say that. Said daughter first read LOTR at the tender age of nine. Since then, she's made a point of reading it once a year (she's now in her 20s). And like you, her trepidations about what the film was going to do to the book were swept aside when she actually saw them.

To get back on topic, I think what you're doing is very original. If you decide to exhibit, I'm sure it will go down very well with the viewing public. I'll even make the effort myself to get back to Old Blighty to come and see it.

A few additional piccies for your comments/enjoyment/disgust etc...

Some of the new characters ready to move into Hobbiton End

post-3347-0-05074800-1344288327.jpg

The second locomotive is on the way again it is Dwarf driven.

post-3347-0-80904800-1344288309.jpg

Stockwise, although no passenger stock has been constructed, I have started with the goods stock, SDR wagons from Dundas kits and a pair of scratchbuilt wagons for the bales of pipeweed.

post-3347-0-12374700-1344288334.jpg

I have even found some toadstools to paint up for possible use although some are way too large for the layout so will not be used, they are the same height as the hobbits!

post-3347-0-41346100-1344288318.jpg

Best wishes

Simon

Magic :)

• Like 1