ID backscenes

hi

last year i built my layout fitted a ID backscene used wall paper paste did not come out to bad (odd ripple)

On my new one this year done same rippled everwhere to a point it looked pathetic,so i had to remove it and paint boards

that also was a disaster no luck at moment?(to dark) i now have wasted time & money.

Anyone else had problems with id backscenes or should i use some other paste/glue/adehsive/prit stick/velcro/pegs/clips/nails/screws/staples/brads?

Yes i am cheesed off???? as i think these look great and want to buy another after Derby show and try again.

hugh

Hugh - I'd try some other adhesive - I suspect that the wall-paper paste makes it too "wet" - I'd suggest one of the 3M spray-mount adhesives but I think they are a get-it-absolutely-right-first-time job and needs about 3 pairs of hands, one to position the start - one to hold up the far end, and one to smooth it down as you go with a cloth. as it is lowered gently into contact with the back board

Hi Jack

thanks never tried spray glue i still have a off cut so will give it a go on offcut of wood

But as you say will have to be right first time.As i know they do not like much rubbing on surface(easy mark)

I will send for another it might come in a few days and try again.

Hugh

• RMweb Gold

Hi Hugh,

I started with harboard painted white (I cheated and bought it ready done in white from a DIY store as it was on offer).

I then painted the harboard with ready mixed wallpaper adhesive (it looks like dilute PVA) and applied the backscene to it very carefully without getting the surface wet. I ended up with a few very small bubbles, most of them dried flat, the odd remaining ones will have a tree or something in front.

I think the trick is to have enough paste on the hardboard to allow the paper to be moved a bit (or in one case to be removed and reapplied straight!) without saturating the paper.

The hardboard did not warp - but it is held in place top and bottom.

David

I've just done six of these for my own layout. If you're used to wallpapering then you shouldn't have too much difficulty, but I wasn't and the first couple where a bit of a struggle. I consulted my wife, who's very good at wallpapering, and she told me that I just wasn't using enough wallpaper paste. From there on I used more paste and everything became so much easier.

I did follow the instructions on International Models website for fixing the backscenes and I used the ready-mixed paste they recommended.

Something I did notice was that the sheets 'stretched' once pasted and put into place - not so much that the picture distorted, but enough to give a slight overhang, despite my carefully cutting each board to the correct length. Cutting off the excess meant that I lost some of the continuation of the picture across boards. D'oh!

Try not to touch the backscenes too much after fixing in place. As you noted they are extremely delicate, but a lot of the bits that don't look too good disappear as the sheet dries.

Good luck!

Charlie the Cat

I had fun and games with these but eventually got a reasonable result. Yes, the paper stretches when wet but then shrinks again as it dries - the dimension of the image as received from the supplier is close to what you'll end up with. Bubbles formed when the wet paper is put onto the board will disappear as it dries - as long as the bubbles are fairly small and there are no sharp creases. The biggest problem I had was due to the 3mm MDF I was using to mount the backscene - the shrinking of the paper as it dried caused significant warping of the wood. If I was going to use these backscenes again I'd use thicker wood or try to put them directly onto a wall.

Graham

Archived