The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

I bought some of the flux a few months back, and I am now a total convert, no more nasty fumes when soldering, is a good enough reason if any to use it.

As regards to dirty tips, I no longer use a sponge, but follow some advice given on the old RMWEB by Jazz (if I remember correctly) and that was to use a tip tinner/cleaner (got mine from maplins) and a stainless scouring pad from Asda. My tip is now like new, always shinney and ready to pick up any solder. I cannot recomend this technique enough.

J.P.

• Like 2

Hi Tony

I've had another look at the pics, and noticed that 42085's cab differs from 42073's in that the bottom does seem more square, as you have modelled it.

For everyone else, the earlier picture was of 42073, while the one attached here is of 42085.

post-3059-12654464178967_thumb.jpg

It just goes to show what a minefield the research is.

I wonder whether Dibateg will put the driving wheel splashers on.........

Richard

I've worked out how to attach the roof - the old tried and tested brass tube in each corner with wire pins soldered to the roof to locate in them. The main problem I have, is that the bunker sits about 1mm lower than the cab sides - how did that happen? So that will have to be built up somehow. Minor hinge and other detail added to the front of the lockers. The hinges were made from Comet 4mm coach door handles.

post-6972-1265885536307_thumb.jpg

Vents and bunker re-enforcement added, the rear lifting eyes are in different positions ( after studying numerous photos of the preserved locos ). That might not be the case originally, who knows, but I guess it is dependent on the differing washout plug positions.

post-6972-12658856046537_thumb.jpg

I wanted a lower 'floor' in my bunker than the kit design, so I've added the 'towers' made from brass section below the 'D'shaped castings. That roof still needs some fettling! The side step castings that are inside the sides of the bunker had the horizontal surface to low, so they've been built up with plastic card. Some squadren filler has been slapped around and now needs cleaning up!

post-6972-1265885637851_thumb.jpg

The supplied white metal tank vents seem a bit short, so I fabricated a pair from some square brass stock, they will be more robust. It's always usefull to have a good varied stock of brass sections to hand!

post-6972-1265885573443_thumb.jpg

Not too much now until the main work on the body is finished...

Front end Detail , a result of Saturdays work:-

The lubricators have been moved forward 2.5 mm.

Sides of the steam pipes ahve been 'flattened' to give a more squarish shape.

The Griffin buffer beam brackets ( you can only see a bit of the upper gusset ) have been hacked to make the lower strengthening gusset slope upwards towards the back of the loco.

Griffin Ivatt front steps.

Ribs on the steamchest front bit below the smokebox.

Griffin lamp brackets.

Scratch coupling strengthener.

DMR Heating pipe.

Thats enough to be going on with, I really need the chassis bits now!

post-6972-12662376146468_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst we are awaiting parts for the Fairburn, I decided to make a start on my Ballast Brake, for my engineers train. This is based on a Great Northern 6 wheeler. I have photos of 2 different vehicles of the same diagram performing this role at Woodford and Annesley.

This is a D&S kit, which is going together nicely. It makes an interesting change to do a vintage piece of rolling stock. I have used the water based flux throughout, which gives a good clean finish.

If anyone knows what should be inside, I'd be most gratefull. The partitions were obviously taken out, and a stove among other things added. Some sort of layout would be most interesting. Otherwise I'll have to make something up!

post-6972-126747635986_thumb.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Lovely, reminds me, I must start thinking about a quad-art !

I'll need to draw it up in Autocad though so that I can get some etches created, which in turn needs a trip to NRM to get some drawings.. rolleyes.gif

Do you know what diagrams you want Jonathan ?there is a good chance Bill Bedford will already do them, should save you some hassle.

http://www.mousa.uk.com/Cat7/Catalog7.pdf

J.P.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a great little kit this D&S coach, it went together well. I just have to work out some of the final details. The floating axle carriers negotiated a test on Heyside with no problem. I'm still researching interior details, one photo I have shows all the blokes jackets hanging up inside!

post-6972-126830563689_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely work on the Fairburn, looking forward to seeing the chassis progress

I've just gone and ordered a bottle of that magic flux you have all been raving about. I too am getting a little fed up of the fumes and oxidation which accompany other fluxes, and so am willing to try something new. I have found that the Frys flux, although kinder to my lungs, leaves a tacky residue after use which requires a little scrubbing to really shift, so if this one is as easy as you say it is, well h'alleluia

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure you'll be pleased with teh flux gaf2u - I certainly am.

After a massive 3 day spraying session in the workshop which saw 2 loco's and 3 coaches varnished, 16 wagons, 3 containers, 7mm signals and the GN 6 wheeler sprayed, I can finally get on with some finishing off.

So 3 coach interiors to finish and paint - don't they take an age. The detail finishing of loco's also takes a long time, with the window fitting being the most tedious. The study stinks of paint!

post-6972-127002559497_thumb.jpg

One side of the 6 wheeler went horribly wrong, the second can of JLTRT maroon wasn't warm enough, so it went orange peely. After leaving it overnight, and thinking about it ( and the leak in the roof ) I gently used a half inch brush and cellulose thinners to strip the bad side, being careful not to get any on the plastic roof! One succesful respray later it looks ok. Now to fit out the interior, I already have fitted a rickity table and Slaters brake van stove.

It is sen in company with an ABS ex LMS unfitted medfit in engineers black.

post-6972-127002563469_thumb.jpg

Next, to number the 16 wagons, then on to the good bit weathering everything!

• 3 weeks later...

My signature engine makes an appearance at Lesterby on a DCC demo train!

post-6972-127132515762_thumb.jpg

Lettering departmental vehicles always seems tricky, there is a mixture of Pressfix wagon ( numbers and 'Ballast Brake', Parkside (nottingham cut from individual letters on the NE fruit van sheet ) and Fox ( MP from 4mm diesel headcodecharacters ) to make up the various markings - work very much in progress...

post-6972-127132521668_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The good weather has put paid to any significant modelling, however work on the Derby Line extension has begun ( despite the Derby line not being built yet! ). Having had the loan of a mini digger and dumper truck for 4 days, we've been busy removing a spoil tip from the vegetable garden, pulling out tree stumps and knocking down our stables to be replaced with a double garage - but most importantly a foundation has been dug to potentially extent the railway room to 40 feet by 16'. All I need now is 48 hours a day!

post-6972-12723133357_thumb.jpg

Lol! I'll tell him that - it's about time he got back in touch with reality!

I know it's not true modelling, but it shows what some of us are prepared to do to build our railways...I thought having some machinery would make it easy, but it's been 4 days hard graft!

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst waiting for Dikitriki to lead the way on the Fairburn - I've had time ( between gardening ) to start finishing stuff off. The six wheeler is nearly finished, despite airbrush problems:-

post-6972-127443754396_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very nice work Tony. cool.gif

Being quite into wagons, I especially like the conflats & containers. I have an unfinished Slater's conflat & container knocking around somewhere, but to save me digging it out and looking in the box, do the shackles and chains come with the kits?

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan - the shackles are seperate - Slaters part number M7022. The Conflat takes some work as it has over 130 parts! Great kit, but having done four - no more.

Hi Mike - I've done one Parkside Grampus, with 3 more to follow. the engineers train will consist of those, the GN six wheeler, an Ex LMS dropside wagon and an SR brake van.. The Grampus initially goes together quickly. Then there is all the additional detailing to add!

Cheers

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dan - the shackles are seperate - Slaters part number M7022. The Conflat takes some work as it has over 130 parts! Great kit, but having done four - no more.

Thanks for that Tony. I'm sorry for not responding to you sooner, but I'd totally forgotten I'd asked you the question. blush.gif

Four Conflats is enough to give a little variety and it's four more than I've got at the moment..... laugh.gif

Regards

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Having at last finished off a load of the ongoing projects, I decided to carry out some planned re-furbs. My 15 year old ( or is it mor?e ) Oakville WD was built with Walsall Models wheels and they don't like the 31.5mm turnouts on Heyside. I also took the opportunity to add the cab roof ventilator, and change the beading on the tender which was horribly coarse and has been bugging me for , well 15 years! So here it is awaiting some running trials before patching up the paintwork.

post-6972-12793544506_thumb.jpg

post-6972-127935449591_thumb.jpg

post-6972-127935454146_thumb.jpg

Dikitriki has overtaken me with the Fairburn, now its time to start catching up. I lengthened the Sanspariel bogie, but drilled and pinned the frames to attach them to the central block. My workmanship is not as tidy as his, but ultimately it will be covered in crud! I also drilled some strip to act as the mounting place for the bearing retaining rods.

post-6972-127935480164_thumb.jpg

Coachmann look away now! The LMS coaches were finally finished after many trials and tribulations, pity about that overspray from the roof colour..I'll have to do something about that. I need to build the other two now to make the 4 coach set.

post-6972-127935621533_thumb.jpg

post-6972-127935497929_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

And does anyone know how to change the title of this thread? As it's plainly not GN 6 wheeler now!

I wouldn't worry about changing it. At least I know the name of the thread and can have a look, from time to time, at some really first class modelling. By the way, did you manage to find details of the interior of the 6 wheeeler?