The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

Or is it the Heyside line?

And this is a more interesting pic than the LMS coach that has been here for years

post-6972-0-64060400-1484119530_thumb.jpg

Anyway - time to get back on line after hanging about for ages. Having been busy with house and work stuff. Now with a bit more time available, and after completing some Heyside homework, I have lots on the workbench at the moment.

The Sidelines LMS coaches are just in the processof being painted, now the underframe detailing and interiors are complete. I just used up 3 cans of Halfords paint in the workshop doing the underframes and bogies!I added the fusebox made from brass channel filed up and some brass wire poking out of the lower edge, and what appears to be some sort of switch box on the inner rail.

post-6972-12587222454382_thumb.jpg

The interiors are pretty well complete.

post-6972-12587223515206_thumb.jpg

So I've got these to line ( after getting the dust off!:-

post-6972-1258722829315_thumb.jpg

And all these wagons to number and weather!

post-6972-12587229214153_thumb.jpg

The Ivatt 2-6-0 is now complete, just needs painting, the final act was to add Scale Hardware rivets to the rather plain tender top. Preserved loco's seem to have welded tops to their tanks i.e no rivets!

Latest arrival is the Tower J39, a great model, which will receive a little tinkering before entering service.

post-6972-12587225788394_thumb.jpg

So as you can see - lots on the go!

post-6972-125872320218_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibateg
title
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Clemf - I'm pleased with them - they go together well, and I'd say that they are like a big 4mm Comet kit. The main things I've changed are to add cast door stops, and some extra details on the underframes - fuse and switch boxes. I've also bought the suspended gangway kits from Sidelines, extra expense, but that's my choice. The trickiest bit is forming the tumblehome.

• Like 1

Hi, what colour are your coaches they look crimson (BR) or are they maroon (BR) ? , whatever they are they certainly look great. And could I ask what supplier you used for the paint and was it tin or aerosol ?

All the best, Martyn.

They are Maroon Martyn - the lighting makes them look a lot lighter than they actually are. The paint is JLTRT Maroon sprayed over Halfords grey acrylic primer.

Cheers

Ha ! Ha ! and they say the camera never lies, I have enclosed a picture of a " Van BY " which I finished in crimson ( Vauxhall carmine red ) and to my eye it was much to loud so I had to give it a good weathering to tone things down a bit. I am off to Reading on the 5th December so I will have a look at the JLTRT range of paints as I am not that happy with Vauxhall's rendition of crimson.

All the best, Martyn.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pic Martyn - nicely dirty!

I seem to have been lining and numbering for days, but I'm getting there.

The Pressfix lines are not to bad when viewed side on, I line them up by looking along the coach. Just waiting for the numbers to come from Fox - its pretty well a next day service:-

post-6972-12590134230728_thumb.jpg

Most of the wagons are done now, I just need to seal the transfers with some clear acrylic before they can be weathered.

post-6972-12590135119739_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ian - possibly camera angle, they are 0.7mm heads, the heads are fully domed. I needed something there after seeing Dikitriki's Chinese RTR one, that has them in place, so they were fitted as an after thought! The fact that the DJH etched rivets are a little flat probably doesn't help. I think they do make smaller ones have a look on their site:- www.scalehardware.com.

Regards

Tony

Thanks JB - I too, am hoping that the paint will subdue the rivets!

More transfers, it's the first time I've used Cambridge Custom transfers for the container, they seem quite delicate, but go on well and look good. They are wetted on the model rather than soaked in a dish. Some weathering will tone them down.

In the background, I'm also lining Steve's San Cheng Black 5 with Fox lining, just the grey is done so far, which is a fiddle, but looks ok when complete. I must learn to use a bow pen!

post-6972-1259326480493_thumb.jpg

The Ivatt is undercoated, but I'm not happy with the fire iron tunnel and a couple of other gaps, so a little remedial work is required before the top coat.

post-6972-12593265799086_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I must agree that Ivatt looks good, it definately pays to add as much detail as possible to really bring it to life. And that's the trouble when you put the primer on every little discrepancy then stands out, but I'm sure it will all look OK once the top coats go on, I use a fine filler that I brought in Halfords that does the job.

All the best, Martyn.

Hi,

I do not know if it is of any help but I had that problem a while back, and even after I'd let it all dry for 24 hrs it was still lifting the 1st layer. So what I did in the end was to spray a fine coat of satin varnish over the 1st layer and let it dry over night, and then the second lining went on no problem at all.

Martyn.

Hi Clemf - I'm pleased with them - they go together well, and I'd say that they are like a big 4mm Comet kit. The main things I've changed are to add cast door stops, and some extra details on the underframes - fuse and switch boxes. I've also bought the suspended gangway kits from Sidelines, extra expense, but that's my choice. The trickiest bit is forming the tumblehome.

Hi Dibateg, could you tell me where you got the cast door stops and the lost wax brake standard that is visible in the brake coach?

Thanks

Thanks for your interest chaps:-

Martyn - that might be a good idea, I was considering Micro-sol to try and set it, so I will try a small sample section this morning, varnish might well be required. Thanks very much for the advice!

Hello Mike - I shall have to check progress on your 40! The Black 5 is a mates, and I have a David Andrews kit in the cupboard to build. So it is an interesting comparison ( see Charlie Kings DA 5 build in Dec BRM ) . The Chang 5 is very nice, for me ( and I'm picky ) there are a few minor detail compromises such as there is only the outer side of the valve guide and the motion lacks forked joints and other details, also I don't like visible cross head screws - but this is a ready to run model, so you have to be realistic about the commercial viability - it would probably cost twice as much as it does with what I would want on it! Having said that, from normal viewing distance it is a fine model and it would be difficult to resist one at a good price!Steve has already added some extra detailing to it.

Rob - the cast door stops I get from Westdale - you have to ask for them and they are a tad pricey! The brake standard comes with the Sidlines LMS inspection coach, it would be worth checking with Malcolm Binns if he would sell one seperately.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply about the san cheng, Im interested in the David Andrews kit too so looking forward to seeing that, would love to see whats in the box to start off with.

I agree about the rods and valve gear etc, for me it would be a kit.

No real progress on the 40 at the moment, but some stuff to finish it is on its way :)

Mike

After a 'mare with this Black 5 Fox lining I've finally cracked it. I cocked up the tender lining completely on one side, so took it all of and started again. What did I do? Got the white line on the wrong side of the grey line, D'oh! I remember now how I did it before: grey line on first, leave overnight to set. Next day, add the white/red part, this butts up to the grey line. If necessary the grey line can be loosened and adjusted to fit next to the red/white if there are any wiggles. Leave to set - then varnish ASAP! I couldn't use Fox on the running plate, it is too wide for starters, and the way the model is made, the vertical flange is slightly curved in where it joins the underside. That means the red line folds in and goes almost invisible. So I had to resort to Pressfix, which although a little cruder goes on well and sticks like the proverbial. So just the tender, and some tidying up to do do today, and a sigh of relief. Weathering will cover up ( I hope ) any untidy bits. I must learn to use a bow pen, though my efforts on the Standard 5 were hopeless, and I used Fox on that. I keep telling myself I will do unlined loco's next!

Retail therapy at Reading tomorrow will help.

Rubbish photo - but you get the idea!

post-6972-12599257910812_thumb.jpg

• Like 2