The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

Catching up with the Derbyline' today made for a pleasant Boxing morning read.  You make a very good job of lining the locos considering the difficulties with transfers. Locomotives and rolling stock always looks good in an unpainted state because one can see the work that has gone into them, nevertheless, those weathered examples in post#144 look the bees knees too.

You seem to be a prolific builder. I expect that is something to look forward to once a layout is completed and up & running. I tend to spread things out a bit by doing a bit on the layout, doing something for clients then adding an extra coach to my own collection ready for when Greenfield services start!

All the best for 2013 Tony.

Thanks Larry - I'd love to claim credit for lining the loco's, but I sent them away to Paul Moore to be done, as for me it more cost efficient timewise to get them done by an expert. Earlier ones I did with transfers, but it took me so much time. I weather everything, so even the lined loco's get done, and I have to be careful not to obliterate Paul's excellent work..

The railway is on hold at the moment, until after Heyside visits the Aylesbury show in May and also the railway room will be needed to store furniture in the spring as we intend to refurbish our lounge ( the last room in the house to be done ). So this has allowed me to concentrate on stock building for the time being.

Best Regards

Tony

One thing that lacks in the available 7mm scale wagon range, is the availability of decent vac fitted 5 plank wagons. There were still plenty of these around in the early 60s, and I have been bolstering my stock of unbuilt kits over the years with any I see second hand. So while the 2P is awaiting testing, I though I'd knock together a few ABS kits, two BR Diag 1/044 or 1/039 ( I think ) and an LMS D1839, of which there were only 100 built. The castings are so nicely done and even have a capping strip. First job is to clean them up.

post-6972-0-74835500-1356958776_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

No problem Peter - Happy New Year too - to you and to my thread readers!

Getting hold of ABS seems to be pretty difficult. I sent several orders to the address and never heard anything and eventually gave up. So I just pick up s/h kits at shows now. Adrian does attend shows, but it seems to be pot luck in what is available on the stand... A quick scan of the Guild traders website doesn't even list ABS!

Sorry I couldnt be much more help.

Regards

Tony

I did ask about my orders with ABS at a show - the answer was vague!

It's always good to start off a project with a good botch. I mistakenly cut off the lashing hooks off the solebars, thinking they were feed pips. I thought they were rather neat. I spotted this, post event whilst I was perusing the Paul Bartlett site! So they were re-instated by drilling holes and soldering 1x1mm 'T' section.

I havn't enough hands to hold 4 sides with mitred corners together whilst I solder. So, I use scrap etch to form a floor. The initial corner is soldered with 100 degree solder and the brass tacked in place with the same. Once the whole thing is together and square, I finish the white metal joins with 100 degree and solder the brass in place with 145 - with the iron just hot enough to melt it. Finally - any filling is completed with 70 degree solder. Then everything is cleaned up.

I also see Dapol have announced an RTR Clay liner wagon, which would fill the 5 plank gap so to speak.

Here is the initial attempt on the first of 3.

post-6972-0-01056800-1357219149_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibateg
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

This seems to be project where my ham fistedness comes to the fore, as vacuum braked 4 shoe vehicles need a tie bar between the axleguards, I cut and drilled a set of 6, all the wrong length and had to start again, with some 1.5X.5 strip. So here they are being fitted and being soldered in with 100 degree solder. They are drilled and pinned with 0.7mm brass wire.

The next problem is that one pair of solebars seems to be short by about 1.5mm at each end! I'm still thinking about that one...

post-6972-0-40538100-1357566889_thumb.jpg

One thing that lacks in the available 7mm scale wagon range, is the availability of decent vac fitted 5 plank wagons. There were still plenty of these around in the early 60s, and I have been bolstering my stock of unbuilt kits over the years with any I see second hand. So while the 2P is awaiting testing, I though I'd knock together a few ABS kits, two BR Diag 1/044 or 1/039 ( I think ) and an LMS D1839, of which there were only 100 built. The castings are so nicely done and even have a capping strip. First job is to clean them up.

attachicon.gifP1010070_wt.JPG

I have pointed this lack out to Slaters. Because of their shock open and BR van kits etc. they have every component necessary for a kit except the sides, at least for the unfitted and Morton vacuum braked versions. I think Slaters have lost interest in 7mm wagons, not enough profit, Gauge 1 and big vans seems to be their scene now.

Dapol have announced a clay open, if the photos they have used is correct, then it is a short, end door wagon and not one of these. (Admittedly other photos they used for the CCT and Fish don't appear to have been a good guide to their plans).

Paul Bartlett

PS the LMS did, of course, have many more than 100 corrugated ended open merchandise, but the VB ones had auxilliary suspension. I hadn't noticed that unusual D1839 with VB but without auxillliary suspension.

PPS many of these wagons lasted into the 1980s usually in engineers use.

Edited by hmrspaul

Thanks very much for your input Paul, it is most welcome, yes I saw the Dapol announcement.

I've pressed on with assembling the bodies and underframes, brakes etc. For the BR open I scratch built the bar, although some castings were included for the mechanism so to speak. I notice in some photos that the bar can be quite battered looking. There seems to be a strange discrepancy with the 2nd BR open in that the solebars are too short - or the body is too long! I'm still working on a solution to that one.

If we get snowed in this weekend, then they will be finished bar buffers I expect.

So this is where we are up to, just the buffers to source and the vac pipes and fittings to add:-

post-6972-0-54558200-1358445192_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-63147500-1358445217_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing the wagon theme, I've been doing battle with a Pow Sides 14t tank wagon. Not the easiest of kits and when it came to the tank I almost gave up, as the resin one in the kit had a slight taper to it. Maybe I should have sent it back, or maybe I am too picky, but I went on a hunt for some suitable size plastic pipe in all our junk, but to no avail. Then I remembered that the MMP tanks have a brass barrel, so why not this one? There wasn't any scrap sheet brass big enough to do the whole tank, so I made up 3 rings in the same manner as the prototype. Inner rings act as joiners for each section.

So the rings after passing through the rolling bars:-

post-6972-0-59801800-1359201392_thumb.jpg

And a test fit to the wagon chassis

post-6972-0-10294300-1359201440_thumb.jpg

Being stuck at home on call for the weekend and rain/snow/sleet/mud/ice not to mention cold, curtailing outside activities I also spent some time making a servo mount for the 9 arm gantry on Heyside:-

post-6972-0-59327900-1359201681_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Rapidy heading towards a conclusion now. tank ends fitted and fettled. Axlebox tie bars added, I drill these 0.7mm into the axleguard and pin with brass wire, using 100 degree solder. Discharge pipe added. Just retaining straps,bars and tank top detail left. This will be an ex Air Ministry wagon with a welded tank, though I'm not sure the scalloped ends of the support beams are right.

post-6972-0-89171800-1359301818_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So there have been further tweaks and additions, the securing bars have been added as well as the tank top fittings and I squared off the ends of the tank supports. I thought I might get away with not having ladders, but the more pictures I see of these tanks, most of them were fitted by the early 60s, so that is the next task. And I thought I was nearly finished...

post-6972-0-14283700-1360256502_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

They both look lovely. A little too pricey for me at the moment. I have an old Beattie resin version that I bought already built but it's very rough and I'm thinking of a rebuild with some JLRT and MMP bits. Cheers for the pics.

Whilst I'm awaiting the Flying Pig and other jobs to materialise - here is a kit that can be knocked out in a couple of days - the Connoisseur BR Bogie Bolster E. A great build, it fits together and the instructions are very very good. I changed the white metal buffers for nickle ones I had in the spares box as well as turning up my own posts.

Recommended!

post-6972-0-30785300-1360865273_thumb.jpg

• Like 9