The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

This is breaking the rmweb version of Facebook perfect life syndrome.

It has turned out well. I learn more from saving a botch up rather than it went together perfectly.

Still jealous of your lifestyle though. You build models, ride bikes and get to go out on nights out, pipe dreams for me at the moment.

Keep up the good work.

Richard

• Like 1

Thanks Richard -

when I was at the bank, and things were going badly I used to say 'I just wanna go home and build railway engines'. I'm very lucky - living the dream! Redundancy can be a good thing!

Regards

Tony

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

There's been a bit of a gap, for various reasons, one of which was getting poked in the eye hacking out brambles at the bottom of our garden. No damage fortunately, but I wasn't able to do any close up work for a few days. The dangers of gardening...

I've spent the odd hour on 10001 and she is ready for a track test at last. There has been quite a lot of extra detailing.

post-6972-0-01318000-1525194468_thumb.jpg

The engine print arrived, but is not fitted yet and there are various parts that will be fitted after painting, including the cab handrails, which will be pinned. I've seen a few of these models with these missing!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The good weather has taken me outside either on the bike or catching up on outside projects. I've had the odd moment to make a start on my 3rd and probably final ever JLTRT diesel - the magnificent class 40. It's shame that we probably won't see these again. There was less work to do on the body than 10001 and so progress has been pretty quick and it is almost ready for the paintshop.

post-6972-0-24975700-1526628076_thumb.jpg

I'm using ABC power bogies and there will be some pretty hefty carving to do on the chassis moulding. The fan is mounted on an old tape drive motor of some sort. I have drawers of old stuff like that,that might come in useful one day!

post-6972-0-17793200-1526628143_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

After working away, I'm back and I'm continuing to tinker with this and made up the frame extensions for the leading wheelset. The resin of the bogie frame looks a little flimsy to me for heavy loads, so the bracket with the little hole is for anchoring the coupling hook.

post-6972-0-61315900-1527748224_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Four Horseboxes

This is an LNE Diag 5 D&S kit. I suspect it was blown up from 4mm, however, the castings are pretty tidy. The construction diagram is printed in reverse, so it has to be held up to the light to see it from the other side! The kits are a little basic and lack some detail. The underframe makes up ok, but lacks any of the rodding detail which has been scratched up. I've simplified the cranks that are hidden behind the wheels. The half diamond brake stretchers are made from scrap etch strip, the rest from scrap etch. Tidy and safety loops still to add as well as the springs.

post-6972-0-83890300-1528183926_thumb.jpg

I'm in the process of putting the roof ( which was oversize ) on. I added some brass strip to the top of the body side as the roof fits closely to that with pretty well no overhang. I've added Griffen lamp irons, drop door bumps, interior partitions. The top door latch was representational, it's been modified. The resistance solderer has come in to it's own!

post-6972-0-32568100-1528183953_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Guest Isambarduk

Resistance soldering, dark art or seeing the light?

The way forward brother, allelujah!!

Mike.

Just like the soldering iron and the torch, it has its uses ;-)   David

• 1 month later...

Rain = work .. for me, so after quite a break..

I 'm now on the two Diagram 4s. The kits are ok - but could do with some more detail level added. I've ended up scratching up a lot more than I'd like. The bottom hinges of the top doors, the top locking strap, the addition al strip below the roofline, interior partition, top door hinges. I ended up grinding off the bolts off the top hinges and then drilling out all the top door hinges and using 0.7mm wire to represent the bolts. I've also added the bottom door bump strips fro 'U' channel. Coach door handles are from Sidelines.

Now to get the roofs on..

post-6972-0-20013400-1531484304_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The forecast of rain kept me inside, although we just had a quick heavy squall for about 10 minutes in the afternoon... So the Diagram 4s bodies are nearly finished, the roofs have to be seriously trimmed to fit. They come very close to the extra battens added around the tops of the sides with virtually no overhang.

post-6972-0-23019000-1531810683_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

My client was dissatisfied with the etched brakes ( as was I ) and I spent quite a time coming up with schemes to beef them up. After various enquiries, I came up with these excellent items from Ragstone. They are not quite right for these vehicles, but with a little file work - they've been re-shaped. I've snipped off the etched brakes and can mount the cast ones on the hangers..

post-6972-0-96641800-1531986155_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

And a rainy ( well, mizzly ) Friday sees the brake gear assembled on the two Diag 4 underframes. Points of note - I had to drill the holes on the spring mounts, scratch up clevises , beef up and put pins in the link arm between the two V's and add the safety loops. The cross shaft crank was also scratched up.

post-6972-0-00118300-1532331020_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a push to get these done now, and the extra parts I need are trickling in. Enhancements include Ambis brake guards, Slaters vac pipes, Sidelines alarm gear and vents. Label clips from Hobby Holidays. Only one set of buffers in the three were right for BR period - so some from the stock box and more coming from Slaters. Ragstone steam pipes.

post-6972-0-56932600-1533033308_thumb.jpg

I've been mulling over the spring mechanics for the drop down door. The etched plate in the kit is probably fine in 4mm but in 7mm looks awful. After a look through Geoff Kent's wagons books, the brass box, the spares drawers I finally hit on scratching them up from two pieces of brass angle. Once soldered on the holes can be drilled through and pins added to represent the bolts. Removed example nearby...

post-6972-0-24820200-1533033342_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tony,

I went and looked up the LNER horseboxes in Larkin's BR Parcels & Passenger-rated Stock, and all of them put the footsteps under the door. That is the logical, if not neccessary, arrangement as anyone wanting to open the door from ground level has to climb onto the first step, hold onto the handrail with the right hand and open the door using the left. As the door opens outwards and swings to the left, they have to lean back to let it pass. With the arrangement you have, holding on to the handrail is a big lean to the right, and then once the door catch is released, the door swings right ino the person trying to open it. Because he is to the left of the door, the opening door prevents him hanging on to the handrail as it is beyond the door and now obstructed by it. The arrangement would work only if the door was hinged on the far side from the footstep, except that it is correct in being a left hinged door. Put simply, for the arrangement you have, and which is presumably as the kits were designed, 2 + 2 is not equalling 4.

Jim