Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

A GWR type instanter at that but with the RIV top shackle. So still within wear tolerance at shopping or salvaged and transferred from another bit of Rolling stock.

Thanks to John Turner for a cracking picture.. https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/36850069846/

The coupling is really interesting.  Not sure if it's a true RIV drawhook as I have seen other couplings on UK wagons without the slot for the coupling, just a hole.  I will look harder at other pictures.

post-2484-0-06343000-1521634603.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

16 tonners on the move.

The Royal crossing keeper speaks with a jolly good English accent for a Pole. I wonder if she ever retrieved her millions?

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/98971

P

Some more footage here, this time in colour....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z2R5hr-eqh8

Regards

Dan

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

What a good YouTube clip, and a great view into the past, it's sad really when you look back, so interest when you have it on video of that era, so good you have them, not many can say they have movies dating back that length of time. keep them safe!

Regards

Jamie

I apologise for asking a VERY basic question, but I still have left over from my British modelling days a rake of 20 16t minerals. 

On BR tracks was the concept of a train purely of 16 tonners a regional thing? In other words, I associate trains purely of 16 tonners with NE death steam; would it be appropriate to run them with western, southern, midland steam as well?

• RMweb Premium

I apologise for asking a VERY basic question, but I still have left over from my British modelling days a rake of 20 16t minerals. 

On BR tracks was the concept of a train purely of 16 tonners a regional thing? In other words, I associate trains purely of 16 tonners with NE death steam; would it be appropriate to run them with western, southern, midland steam as well?

The 16 ton mineral wagon was the most produced wagon for BR, over 300,000. Class J (later class8) mineral trains were common from collieries to the customers on all regions well into the mid 1970s when the larger power stations were using MGR trains and most domestic coal had ceased.

Certainly common enough to not even be noticed, I suspect.

Here's a view of a train on the branch that passed my childhood home:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10421460473/in/album-72157636831415256/

Another, from rural Somerset:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10421644964/in/album-72157636832246046/

One from the Thames Valley (sorry about the Plate, breaking up the uniformity:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10421689343/in/album-72157636831654216/

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely; while more common in the coalfields, block trains of 16ton minerals were a very common sight just about everywhere on BR that freight trains ran, a staple traffic.  The traffic typically worked from the pits to a marshalling yard on or closer to a main line, from which it was forwarded to somewhere that was not in a coalfield, in block class 8 trains of mostly unfitted 16tonners with brakevans; the Hymek in the photo probably has the plate wagon to increase it's brake force to run at class 8 timings.  This continued into the 70s and well into the 80s with block trains of fitted wagons.  It has a long history rooted in the reluctance of both the private and nationalised coal industries to accept larger wagons than 9 foot wheelbased ones.  This would have entailed them spending money, something a mine owner who might be put out of business tomorrow by a collapse or explosion hates doing, on new loading gear and possibly having to relay some of their internal trackage, a problem not fully addressed until MGR days and surviving for a very long time after MGRs started running. 

The one area which had few 16 tonners was the North East - the NERly had introduced large numbers of hopper discharge facilities and BR continued this, even to the extent of having a fleet of air braked domestic/industrial coal hoppers from the later 1970s - HBA (later HEA).. By the mid 1960s BR had extended the idea to a lot of coal concentration depots in various metropolitan areas, but there were still hundreds of thousands of flat bottom mineral wagons operating. End unloading was usual in the South Wales ports well into the 1980s.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

We used to get a steady stream of them into Washwood Heath for Nechells Power Station and Saltley Gas Works, usually about 40 or more at a time depending on the type of loco. They also came on to be marshalled into block trains for other places. One I remember was Bath Gas Works.

• RMweb Gold

Man, I wish I'd thought to look for a thread like this yesterday. I was weathering a 16-tonner and flicking through book after book looking for a decent side-on colour photo of one. Oh well.

Youtube is your friend. I'm currently muddling through a rake of 12 & 16 tonners. The tutorials are first rate. Get yourself a cup of tea/coffee/whatever, and spend an very instructive and constructive hour or 4.

Cheers,

Ian.

Ernie's put up a few more of John Boyes photographs of Scottish 16 tonners during 1960's.

Forward from this pic:

https://flic.kr/p/28dTYsB

Anyone wanting to see more of John Boyes phot's (and the rest of the Armstrong Railway Photographic Trust Archive) on the big screen along with some models of mineral wagons could do no better then get yourself along to a free model railway show this weekend at the Mining Cathedral adjacent to Newcastle Central Station.

Mr. David Dunn will be trying to suppress his irrepressible urge to show off as many of the ARPT's photographs in as short of time as possible.

A few more details here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134867-mining-institute-newcastle/&do=findComment&comment=3196788

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a simplistic question on 16t minerals... is there a difference in the time period for different liveries of greys?

For instance Dapol seem to utilise two shades here: https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/o-gauge/O-Gauge-Wagons-and-Freight/16t-steel-mineral-wagons?limit=50

Granted it is probably a silly question because they wouldn't have stayed that colour for very long at all!!

As a supplementary, these were not the most common on coal traffic in the North East due to the use of 21t hoppers and coal drops, but presumably 16t minerals were to be seen throughout the area on a wide variety of other traffic flows?

Edited by south_tyne

As a simplistic question on 16t minerals... is there a difference in the time period for different liveries of greys?

For instance Dapol seem to utilise two shades here: https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/o-gauge/O-Gauge-Wagons-and-Freight/16t-steel-mineral-wagons?limit=50

Granted it is probably a silly question because they wouldn't have stayed that colour for very long at all!!

As a supplementary, these were not the most common on coal traffic in the North East due to the use of 21t hoppers and coal drops, but presumably 16t minerals were to be seen throughout the area on a wide variety of other traffic flows?

There seem to be a few shades of grey, though perhaps not fifty. BR would have used up pre-Nationalisation stocks, which varied between companies, and I suspect the Grey Funnel Line had lots of assorted greys surplus to requirements as well. 

16-tonners were used around the NE for coal; neither Blaydon nor Heaton coal yards had drops. They were also used for scrap and limestone traffic.

There seem to be a few shades of grey, though perhaps not fifty. BR would have used up pre-Nationalisation stocks, which varied between companies, and I suspect the Grey Funnel Line had lots of assorted greys surplus to requirements as well.

16-tonners were used around the NE for coal; neither Blaydon nor Heaton coal yards had drops. They were also used for scrap and limestone traffic.

Thanks, I thought as much. As always colours are seen by each of us differently in any case!

Thanks for the info regarding NER stations. Another sticking in my mind is always Sleights on the Whitby branch which seemed to receive coal in 16tonners until the 1980s. So this wasn't exclusively 21t hopper country!

Thanks, I thought as much. As always colours are seen by each of us differently in any case!

Thanks for the info regarding NER stations. Another sticking in my mind is always Sleights on the Whitby branch which seemed to receive coal in 16tonners until the 1980s. So this wasn't exclusively 21t hopper country!

Hoppers or minerals it was customer requirements by the 1980's many of the coal depots were road served and the coal drops were out of use and the coal emptied from minerals by the use of mechanical grabs.

Tynemouth received coal in 16 t minerals till the Metro took over and Heaton till just before the 1984 Pit Strike!

Mark Saunders

Hoppers or minerals it was customer requirements by the 1980's many of the coal depots were road served and the coal drops were out of use and the coal emptied from minerals by the use of mechanical grabs.

Tynemouth received coal in 16 t minerals till the Metro took over and Heaton till just before the 1984 Pit Strike!

Mark Saunders

Thanks Mark that is really interesting! I didn't know about Tynemouth!

Limestone is an interest in one - anywhere in the wider North East that this traffic was handled? Immediately makes me think of the Peak District (to be stereotypical)