"NOTTAKLOO" (N Gauge entry)

KevinWalsh

After doing some bodging (kit-bashing and scratch-building) in 2mm for the club's N gauge layout I've decided to enter the challenge with an N gauge diorama.

Currently sketching a few plans/ideas but it will most likely be the end of a station leading out into countryside or possibly some running lines on 2 levels in country/town landscape. I will probably wire up the track so that the diorama can be expanded at a later date, whether it will be operational by the end of the challenge is still undecided.

Hopefully I will be able to produce something acceptable.

Kev

I've now decided that I will produce a section of inner city with a high level dual track including a girder bridge and a low level single track passing underneath the bridge. The high level will go from back left to front right on a curve and pass under a road bridge, the low level will go from front left to back right on a curve and disappear into a tunnel. The left hand of the section will feature platform ends and a footbridge on the high level lines, with the low level featuring a permanent way yard (possibly with a turnout off the main track). The right hand of the section will have some houses roughly at the same ground level as the high level lines.

All the lines will be wired up, hopefully so that I can incorporate this diorama into a larger layout at a later date, possibly with a fiddle yard to the right of the section and the full station to the left.

I should be getting the wood for the baseboard later this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time;

I've now named the layout as "NOTTAKLOO", if anyone asks where this is I will say "not a clue"; a bit childish and silly but it amuses me :yahoo: .

On a more serious note the baseboard has been knocked together and attached are pics proving compliance with the challenge size constraints.

The higher level board isn't fully secured yet as I'm still not totally sure if this is the final design.

Any comments/criticisms gratefully accepted.

Kev

post-7964-0-30607400-1306435351_thumb.jpgpost-7964-0-36616200-1306435368_thumb.jpgpost-7964-0-74381100-1306435380_thumb.jpgpost-7964-0-06298700-1306435399_thumb.jpgpost-7964-0-34673600-1306435423_thumb.jpgpost-7964-0-95636600-1306435433_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that Ash, I'm not planning to dipict a specific area rather a generic urban grot setting. I'm still umming and ahing over whether to paint the back board as sky or lose it completely and have an open scene.

If I manage to finish the challenge I might look at adding other modules to this to create a complete layout :help: (cue sounds of more than can be swallowed being bitten off :laugh: )

Kev

Update time,

Currently constructing the concrete arched retaining walls for the lower level lineside and also making the girder bridge that carries the upper level lines across the lower line.

No photos at this time just in case it all turns into a bucket of poop and I have to start again/re-think :laugh: .

• RMweb Premium

No photos at this time just in case it all turns into a bucket of poop and I have to start again/re-think :laugh: .

You need to show us, what you may think is poor might be very good. We are all generally far to critical of our own work.

Spent a couple of hours tonight finishing constructing the concrete arched retaining walls to fit between the lower and upper levels, only taken me 2 weeks to make these (and cost a small fortune into the swear box). I just given them the first coat of concrete, I think they will need a couple more coats and then the recesses will need some serious :pleasantry: dirtying :pleasantry: . After that I just need to work out the best method of sticking them to the plywood as they are made from plasticard.

Once they are finished and in place I'll stick some more pics up.

So far this diorama has cost about £25 in materials.

just an idea - throw it away if you want - scalscenes low relief flats as a backscene? what do you think?

I had considered that option, but first I want to try adapting some terrace houses in half relief to give a more 3D look to the back scene. I'll make the final decision on that part of the build after I have the retaining walls finished and the ground contouring done.

• RMweb Gold

Kev,

I wouldn't worry about not scoring points for originality - two levels of operational track in such a small area is a really great idea.

Your carpentry is impessive too.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

I've now got some track on the baseboards (all be it held down with drawing pins for the moment) and I'm fairly happy with the curves and general look of the trackwork. The next stage will be to pin the track properly and then superglue it in place, after which I'll more than likely remove the pins. I haven't decided whether to do ground profiling before the ballasting or the other way round, might just wait and see how the mojo takes me when the trackwork is completely secured.

On the lower level the the length of unconnected track will represent the end of a headshunt/siding from off scene and this area will possibly be done as an engineers/PW yard.

Plans for the area between the bridge and the backscene on the upper level are still a little bit fluid (AKA I'm dithering).

I spent a long time trying to work out how to incorporate scenic breaks into such a small area when it occured to me this is a Diorama

diorama (plural dioramas)

1. A three-dimensional display of a scenery, often having a painted background in front of which models are arranged,

and as such I've decided to dispense with scenic breaks and hope that the finished entry doesn't look like the proverbial sow's ear.

Anyway enough of my ramblings and here is a selection of pics.

post-7964-0-24916400-1308774070_thumb.jpg

General overview shot

post-7964-0-88627800-1308774088_thumb.jpg

Overhead of track on bridge with a couple of coaches for clearance check

post-7964-0-97523400-1308774105_thumb.jpg

End on view of same track on bridge

post-7964-0-33455100-1308774348_thumb.jpg

Height clearance check under bridge

Progress update:-

The tracks have now been fixed down with the ends soldered to small screws, including having the wiring for track feeds soldered to the tracks and fed through to the underside.

The initial ground cover has been slapped on the baseboard and once it has dried completely contouring will take place.

Here are a few pics-

post-7964-0-17416900-1309379234_thumb.jpg

Back left of baseboard

post-7964-0-15480900-1309379257_thumb.jpg

Front left of baseboard

post-7964-0-48910500-1309379276_thumb.jpg

Back right of baseboard

post-7964-0-23308000-1309379301_thumb.jpg

Front right of baseboard, which shows the area still to be filled in with paper-mache and topped with ground cover

post-7964-0-56787100-1309379323_thumb.jpg

Lower lever line looking through under bridge

post-7964-0-12415000-1309379342_thumb.jpg

Higher level lines looking across the bridge

post-7964-0-60869500-1309379371_thumb.jpg

Track wiring waiting to be soldered onto a tab strip, this will possibly not be done before the end of the challenge but gives me the option of making the diorama operational at some point in the future.

Kev

Work on the diorama has had to back seat for a short while as we need to get all our stuff boxed up and ready to move by next weekend, it's slightly irritating when things interfere with previous modelling time but not this time as the council have come through for us an found us a ground floor flat complete with wet room. Sometimes local government can work fast and be helpful :yahoo: .

Thanks for that Ash. Don't worry about your containers :laugh: they give me something to do while the diorama is in a box. The beauty of the flat we have been given is that it's already set-up for the wife's future needs so we shouldn't have to move again too soon.

The down-time on the diorama has given me a chance to cast a critical eye over my idea and change a couple of plans slightly, the plan for there to be platform ends on the double lines at the right hand end has now been scrapped and the backscene will have a 3D(ish) effect with some housing at an angle. I'm still chewing over whether to bodge paint the rest of the wood to give the impression of the houses continuing into the distance or cut the wood around the scenery items to create a true reflection of the definition of a diorama.

Kev

Archived