Transition Diesel Liveries Group

'CHARD

Transition Diesel Liveries, or the complex migration of greens, ochres, blacks and maroons into corporate blue. Join this bunch of ne'er-do-wells on our never-ending quest for what loco ran in what salacious combinations of colours between 1966 and the coming of TOPS.

There have been many discussions of this fascinating topic both on this and on earlier versions of the site, our aim here is to bring it all together and harness the knowledge into the same tent. Sounds disreputable doesn't it? And it probably is with me at the helm.

So, come hard, come strong all you lovers of diesel livery transtion. If you know your GSYP from your eBFYE then you're in my sights. If you model this period that I'm carefully not referring to as The Modern Image, although I feel that's what Beeching would have meant, then jump aboard.

Rules and regs? I'm keeping this to the high ground of how the diesel fleet morphed from basically its as-built palette through the weirdness of the mid and late sixties, into corporate blue with full yellow ends. If you've previously started or contributed to the wealth of material on here, let's be having those linkies.

Hurrah!

'CHARD

Wonderful period.... I've altered a couple of my 27's on dunwoody to run in green with full yellow panel (keeping the white window surrounds and stripe on the sides) which is a favourite livery of mine on the type2's. One of them, 5406 ran with in this livery with the arrows emblem

If you model this period that I'm carefully not referring to as The Modern Image, although I feel that's what Beeching would have meant,

the complex migration of greens, ochres, blacks and maroons into corporate blue.

Shurely shome mistake :D

I can probably recall a few old threads to bring in, given time.

Guest Max Stafford

Well, it looks like those of us who enjoy a bit of diesel livery psychedelia have a home at last! Also, since we're talking mid'60s transition here will 'economy' steam liveries have 'honorary permissions' too? Since these liveries themselves appeared just about the time that gents' barber shops reported a significant downturn in patronage from the under 25s, their inclusion seems appropriate! :pleasantry:

Dave.

I don't foresee a problem with that particular niche Dave, as you say, it was contemporary with the diesel naughtiness.

Pennine, I did a quick search last night and found about a dozen old threads for possible adoption here. I have a feeling I should find and post the link to Brian Daniels' and Brush Veteran's galleries as a key resource too....

Rachel, great to see your enthusiasm propels Dunwoody and its BRCWs from strength to strength, your paint shed is one of my benchmarks, and I know mine's not a lone voice :D

Apologies for the placeholder Logo for this Group, 9010 in green with double arrows is rateable but shows her incorrectly with SYP. She's running on Teviotbank with correct FYE now but when I was searching images for something suitable I realised I don't have one of her in her present state. Besides which she deserves detail parts adding and very light weathering with Tamiya and Games Workshop products before she can really be seen in public.

Starting this Group is really incentivising me to clear up my outstanding locos that fall in this category: 25, 5068, 6846 to name but three...

Reminder to self: get better image for the Group logo.

I have a feeling I should find and post the link to Brian Daniels' and Brush Veteran's galleries as a key resource too....

Brian's site is an excellent resource, but it is late '70s onwards - not that that matters if you think it's a kindred enough interest. As for BV, I'm not sure what's happened to that since the F*t*p*c shenanigans

Might I also suggest emgauge70s as probably the most significant modelling-related site for our interests?

BTW this highlights an issue I've raised also in Jamie's group - do you want to retain overall say in what gets brought in from outside, do we suggest them first, or whatever?

Might I also suggest emgauge70s as probably the most significant modelling-related site for our interests?

BTW this highlights an issue I've raised also in Jamie's group - do you want to retain overall say in what gets brought in from outside, do we suggest them first, or whatever?

I'm a consensus kinda guy ;)

Unless anything outlandish or outrageous happens I can't see us having too many problems in the Group. What I envisage here and over on the Waverley Route Group (you're welcome to join us if you can face the raw emotion), is gently assisting a phased reshuffle of resource information into several threads or areas where it can be accessed - and refreshed - more easily.

For this Group, for example, I'd welcome ideas on what people think about - say - a Hydraulic thread. In there we could chart and discuss the Western and Warship migration through green and maroon to BFYE, and Hymek and 22's flirtation with BSYP - for example.

The Peaks almost definitely deserve their own thread (anyone have the link to Russell's previous resource?), and we should probably do something about pooling photographic references to green with double-arrows, early blue and out-and-out one-offs in further separate threads.

Feel free to start any of the above up, if and when any of you has the inclination, link or new material, likewise launch any newbies. If there seems to be a sensible streamlining that can be done at some subsequent point, then I'll do the appropriate merges or whatever.

I'm looking to you lot for the benefit of years of Transition Livery expertise and suggestions in how we want to shape this Group; it'll be a learning experience, and I'll endeavour to share both ways the ideas that work well on the Waverley Group.

I'm a consensus kinda guy ;)

Thoughtcha might be :D

The Peaks almost definitely deserve their own thread (anyone have the link to Russell's previous resource?),

No 'almost';) I've just found two useful ones, plus one on shunters that's dear to me, and placed the necessary reports - check 'em out when they get here

Nice one the MC, they're embedded nicely.

In fact after a couple more trawls and some help from Mr Y, we're about a dozen strong with the likes of some DMU naughtiness thrown in.

I also asked John Squire who happened to be passing, to knock us up a quick banner. His intuitive knowledge of the subject blew me away.

Very STONE ROSES, I'm sure you'll agree :laugh:

DMU naughtiness thrown in.

....and you don't get much naughtier than a Swindon Intercity 126 in railblue with small yellow panels :D

I managed to pick up a long out of production kit of one of these wee beauties at the Stevenston show recently and I think it may be "jooking" the queue to get onto my paint-bench.

There's also a nice pic of a Metro Cammel wearing the same livery at Mallaig in G C O'Hara's book "BR Diesel Traction in Scotland" (pg 280)

Brian's site is an excellent resource, but it is late '70s onwards - not that that matters if you think it's a kindred enough interest. As for BV, I'm not sure what's happened to that since the F*t*p*c shenanigans

I would be pleased to re-post any of my images on to a site devoted to the recording of the various pre-tops BR diesel liveries. As you may remember I posted quite a lot of my stuff on RM Web and I believe most of it is still there but not maybe where it should be. When I decided to improve some images a great deal of them were accidently deleted from the Brush Veteran gallery but not from the RM Web archive. I then decided to go down the F*t*p*c route, as did Brian Daniels, but as we all know this site has now been closed. There is talk from the original founder, Joel, of the site maybe being resurrected in a different format so I have been waiting for an update on this before I take on any more work. Brian and I have discussed this at great lengths but as he has more free time than I have......he works on the railway!!!! then I would rather wait to see what happens. I have considered Flikkr like Brian but just am unsure at the moment. However I would be prepared to post my images on to a site devoted to the subject of the livery development especially if they could be displayed in Class order for easy reference. What is the general feeling on this? Once we can reach a verdict I will start uploading unless Andy Y has a better solution, after all it is his site! Look forward to an update

....and you don't get much naughtier than a Swindon Intercity 126 in railblue with small yellow panels :D

I managed to pick up a long out of production kit of one of these wee beauties at the Stevenston show recently and I think it may be "jooking" the queue to get onto my paint-bench.

There's also a nice pic of a Metro Cammel wearing the same livery at Mallaig in G C O'Hara's book "BR Diesel Traction in Scotland" (pg 280)

Excellent insight through the paint-shed keyhole there, Rachel, be sure to tip us off when she sneaks onto your blog, that's one for the ScR and transition crossover brigade to look forward-to... B)

I would be pleased to re-post any of my images on to a site devoted to the recording of the various pre-tops BR diesel liveries. As you may remember I posted quite a lot of my stuff on RM Web and I believe most of it is still there but not maybe where it should be. When I decided to improve some images a great deal of them were accidently deleted from the Brush Veteran gallery but not from the RM Web archive. I then decided to go down the F*t*p*c route, as did Brian Daniels, but as we all know this site has now been closed. There is talk from the original founder, Joel, of the site maybe being resurrected in a different format so I have been waiting for an update on this before I take on any more work. Brian and I have discussed this at great lengths but as he has more free time than I have......he works on the railway!!!! then I would rather wait to see what happens. I have considered Flikkr like Brian but just am unsure at the moment. However I would be prepared to post my images on to a site devoted to the subject of the livery development especially if they could be displayed in Class order for easy reference. What is the general feeling on this? Once we can reach a verdict I will start uploading unless Andy Y has a better solution, after all it is his site! Look forward to an update

Thanks for the update! There is a gallery option aligned to the Group function, and of course we are talking about not only a space-hungry resource, but also a crucially important reference library of which you (and by association, RMWeb) can be proud.

I'll throw this one open to Andy, after all it is his site and good nature I prey upon daily, and it is probably an issue of housekeeping which will affect other Group management :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 40-something

Wonderful period.... I've altered a couple of my 27's on dunwoody to run in green with full yellow panel (keeping the white window surrounds and stripe on the sides) which is a favourite livery of mine on the type2's. One of them, 5406 ran with in this livery with the arrows emblem

I've done the same with my 27, 5347, full yellow ends, 'D' prefix removed, with lion & wheel totem. I have a another 27 in the works as, I think 5389) in blue with small yellow panels & arrow emblems.

I have a 24 in ttg heading towards FYE with cut away valances and the possibity of my cravens unit getting the treatment as per the thead I recently started on the forum!

Definately the most interesting period for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I've done the same with my 27, 5347, full yellow ends, 'D' prefix removed, with lion & wheel totem. I have a another 27 in the works as, I think 5389) in blue with small yellow panels & arrow emblems.

I have a 24 in ttg heading towards FYE with cut away valances and the possibity of my cravens unit getting the treatment as per the thead I recently started on the forum!

Definately the most interesting period for me!

Excellent... I added the FYE to my green 24 and renumbered it as Eastfield 5090. Strange how Green with FYE seems popular with modellers and as I've found the viewing public but is poorly represented in "off the shelf" models.

Strange how Green with FYE seems popular with modellers and as I've found the viewing public but is poorly represented in "off the shelf" models.

It's relatively restricted timewise, being something which is almost exclusively post-steam other than in a few limited areas and consequently not as marketable as the all-green or GSY which can run alongside steam with impunity. It's also not that well understood IMO, for similar reasons it sits (again largely but not exclusively) in that strange interlude between the removal of D prefixes and ther advent of TOPS numbers

With the possible exception of Class 47, for whom it seems to have been a default standard livery. In fact make that a Board-sanctioned official livery, as the locos' relative newness and the drive for FYE triggered a mass repainting of the type. Unique to this class. And marketed by Bachmann, of course.

Apart from that, we've had a GFYE 40 from Lima, Heljan Hymek, Western, Clayton, 15 and soon to be 23 and 28. I can see a theme developing here, and it's Danish drinks.gif

With the possible exception of Class 47, for whom it seems to have been a default standard livery. ... Unique to this class. .

I'll go along with that, the GFYE 47 is very typical of the turn of the 70s and a good while after

I can see a theme developing here, and it's Danish drinks.gif

They have a good advisor B)

With the possible exception of Class 47, for whom it seems to have been a default standard livery. In fact make that a Board-sanctioned official livery, as the locos' relative newness and the drive for FYE triggered a mass repainting of the type. Unique to this class.

You can also add Class 31 for which GYE was very common, possibly due to the re-engining programme. I don't think you will find many (if at all) 1969 dated photos of a class 31 with GYP.

Archived