Strangers under the wires?

Andy Y

Guest bri.s

i was told they draged the ac electrics down worsbough branch that would be an intresting picture.ive seen pictures of ac's over woodhead but not a picture of them on the branch

• RMweb Premium

A couple of interesting pics of 'strangers under the wires' appear in 'Great Central Mainline- North of Nottingham' (compiled by A.R.Kaye-Lowlander Publications). Class 17s D8616 & D8607 (Barrow Hill locos) heading thro' Woodhouse soon to be under the wires at Rotherwood, with coal for the Woodhead route (1964). Also A4 60014 'Silver Link' at Sheffield Victoria having arrived with a 'down special', ready for hand over to an EM2 (May 1956).

Cheers Phil.

A couple of bits of info regarding the above: Trans-Pennine DMU sets were regular winter weekend visitors to Woodhead for the last four or five years before it closed. They had been reformed into four-car hybrid sets by this time with a 'full windscreen' cab at one end and a corridor connection cab at the other - the idea being that they could be coupled together maintaining the corridor throughout the train. Most of us can probably think of a dozen ways in which the full windscreen ends would be facing each other within days...

AC electrics certainly were hauled over the Worsborough Branch. The loco or locos - I never saw more than two - were sandwiched between brake vans. I saw them several times and photographed them once, at Glasshouse Crossing. If I knew how to scan slides I would post a couple of images - though of course I would also have to know how to post images.... sorry guys.

Also, you saw most diesel classes at one time or another over the branch, let alone the main line. I recall 08 (on the pantograph train), 20 (on engineering trains) 24, 25, 31, 37 (the Wath workhorse) 45, 47. I have also seen pictures of a class 40. They were mostly on colliery trip workings, but occasionally, a shortage of 76s would see diesels used on 'proper' trains. I have a picture (see apology above) of a two tone 47 with full yellow ends on MGR empties heading to Wath at Wentworth Junction.

Alan

I know a lot of people believe that no steam loco worked through Woodhead tunnel under its own power (4472 as pictured in the Woodhead video was towed through and had its fire temporarily damped down), but this is not true.

One loco did, and it was a K3 2-6-0 which was commandeered after a day of heavy snowfall when some trains were delayed for hours. The actual report can be found in a Railway Observer but unfortunately I cant remember which month or year, and dont have immediate access to my collection at present.

Anyhow, from memory, I think an electric hauled passenger train stalled just inside the tunnel and a second electric locomotive was buffered up at the rear to give assistance but also failed to get the train on the move. The K3 was given special dispensation by control to run through the tunnel light engine and attach itself to the front of the train and then drag the whole lot through the tunnel.

It seems highly unlikely I know, but I am sure that RO would not make up paragraphs on this occurrence if it were that inaccurate.

08.00 SuO St. Pancras - Manchester Piccadilly. I travelled on that a few times as the one thing you could be fairly sure of was that it wasn't exactly going via the MML! Usually via Sharnbrook freight lines, twice via Corby and the "Ponderosa" reversing at Leicester, then once via Barrow Hill as well and into Sheffield from Nunnery before being pushed back up the hill and over Woodhead to Manchester. On another occasion it was booked via Woodhead but allegedly no driver was available who signed that road. After sitting in Sheffield (Midland) while thumbs were sucked (and the Hope Valley remained firmly closed) we were sent via Barnsley and Woodhead.

Traction was always a 45 and always the same loco throughout no matter how many run-rounds were required.

The 07.50 SuO Manchester Piccadilly to St Pancras went over Woodhead as wellwith a class 47 and Mk1 stock.

As a Piccadilly Guard I worked the train over Woodhead to Sheffield and we returned with the 08.00 SuO St. Pancras - Manchester Piccadilly.

One Sunday near Christmas, 79 or 80, the St Pancras - Manchester train was formed of Air Cond Mk2 stock with the usual class 45

Peter

The trans-pennine sets are interesting, I would have never thought of them travelling over the woodhead....

EDIT: were the sets frequent visitors or were they just spontaneous visitors?

I remember the 123/124 Transpennine Units over Woodhead

http://peter749.zenfolio.com/p458297323/h287cbb80#h2eac00c2

This set has just reversed at Nunnery Jn. Don't remeber if it had just come off Woodhead or was just about to go that way.

Peter

• 3 months later...

Bumpety bump.... ;)

Just had a (very enjoyable) skim through the thread and noticed the mention of Dunford which prompts me to post this flickr link, having perused it's contents at length yesterday (with apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere in the Woodhead section)...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/sets/72157623181239620/with/2434691106/

Some fantastic images there.... looking at them only reinforces the regret at not giving the line more attention when I had the chance, with relatives living not to far away from the Manchester end back in the '70s. Hindsight and all that...! :rolleyes:

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I have a memory (a rather vague one) as a young lad of having seen a large blue diesel running through Gorton and Openshaw. I can only think it was the prototype Deltic - what else could it have been? - perhaps being transferred from the LMR to the ER, which I believe happened in 1959. Please do not use this report as a firm source. Confirmation would be necessary - but I definitely saw something, and it was pretty darned impressive.

Edited by Poggy1165

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are some Woodhead images in my collection - in the Great Central set.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

what an odd occurence.. have you any other details about this working? what would an SR unit be doing at guide bridge? where would it have come from and where would it's destination be?

Edited by peak experience

• 1 year later...

I would be interested to know if any one knows of any photographs of either the Class 87s mentioned above or the Blue Pullman at Reddish depot or on the Fallowfield line. I found this image 'The Blue Pullman at Reddish Sheds mid 1960s' (photo via Robert Todd) at the following site : http://levyboy.com/railway.htm

post-13012-0-74271800-1430826522.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

• RMweb Gold

I would be interested to know if any one knows of any photographs of either the Class 87s mentioned above or the Blue Pullman at Reddish depot or on the Fallowfield line. I found this image 'The Blue Pullman at Reddish Sheds mid 1960s' (photo via Robert Todd) at the following site : http://levyboy.com/railway.htm

Bit of a grotty picture, but from an old print.

Taken on a shed bash c1961/2

post-9767-0-63583800-1432725880_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Great Western Society's coaches appeared on a Railtour sometime in the late 70's. I once had a quick trawl of SixBells but couldn't find it.

Hi

Ive managed to piece together the details of the rake from photos in various books and started to build a model of it in N using the Masterclass Models coach kits. Most of the coaches are now built just requiring detailing and painting. The loco was 76046. Date was either 21st April 1979 or May 1976 depending which book you read (most books agree on 21st April 1979).

Rake as far as I can tell was

7372 - Diagram E164 Hawskworth Brake Composite

1111 - Diagram C77 Collett Corridor Third

536 - Diagram C77 Collett Corridor Third

2202 - Diagram D133 Hawksworth Brake Third

5952 - Diagram C67 Collett Corridor Third

1289 - Diagram C74 Collett Excursion Third

7371 - Diagram E159 Collett Brake Composite

Cheers

Paul

Edited to add date and rake details

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Like 2

AC Electric (84?) on Guide Bridge stabling point....(at 6.50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Isb-YISBQ

I was wondering that too. Is definately a Class 84 as you can tell by the oval buffers. What it is doing there is anyone's guess. They were out of storage by then (1973). Maybe on its way to or from Doncaster for repairs or possibly tyre turning on the wheel late at Reddish perhaps?

• 9 months later...

Was just wondering with the pictures of the Blue Pullman above whether there were diesel fueling facilities at Reddish and whether these were under electrified lines? Jim

• 4 weeks later...

There were definitely diesel fuel facilities at Reddish, but I honestly can't remember where they were. It was not uncommon to see diesels on the shed, although some, like the clutch of Co-Bos I remember, were probably stored. The Midland Pullman, on the other hand, was literally based there. 

ah yes horwich.. would anybody know did they undertake much work on SR Units? what kind of work would it have been? full overhauls or mainly cosmetic?

they did a lot of work on sr units would regularly have  8 coach sets stored on the down goods  between adswood rd and edgely 2 for a loco swop from an 85 to a 40 to go forward .they would trail back past edgeley 1 causing problems for the signalmen and trbs entering and exiting the box ! though once a carriage door key had been purloined they became a very useful source of nice long  comfy  seats to go on locker lids in the boxes very nice on a night shift