Scots We Hae: Scottish RMWeb Layouts

Jamie

• 2 months later...

Kinmundy revisited.

Previous thread here from the old RMWeb --> http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4946

Martin Wales' layout has had a bit of a makeover and will be appearing at the BRM Show at Doncaster on 9th/10th February. If you saw the pics in Railway Modeller, you may notice a few changes.

Here's a few pics to show it in its revised form:

post-143-0-89542700-1357378643.jpg

post-143-0-32145500-1357378687.jpg

post-143-0-42155200-1357378728.jpg

post-143-0-87652100-1357378758.jpg

post-143-0-29618400-1357378787.jpg

post-143-0-59413500-1357378806.jpg

post-143-0-61222800-1357378824.jpg

Come and say hello.

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 14

Hi folks,

Well, here's my contribution...

The west end of Waverley, Princes St. Gardens and, eventually, Haymarket depot in the 1980s. Currently being ressurected after a house move.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2978-waverley-west/

post-7247-0-91937900-1357382054_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-88035700-1357382115_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-22621600-1357382252_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 14

Kinmundy revisited.

Previous thread here from the old RMWeb --> http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4946

Martin Wales' layout has had a bit of a makeover and will be appearing at the BRM Show at Doncaster on 9th/10th February. If you saw the pics in Railway Modeller, you may notice a few changes.

Here's a few pics to show it in its revised form:

attachicon.gifk8.jpg

attachicon.gifk9.jpg

attachicon.gifkin2.jpg

attachicon.gifkin4.jpg

attachicon.gifkin5.jpg

attachicon.gifkin10.jpg

attachicon.gifkin11.jpg

Come and say hello.

steve

Steve.

Hopefully see you at Doncaster as I am assistant on Prospect Wharf.

Andy.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here is Glenburn, the latest N gauge Scottish based layout of the Glasgow & West of Scotland MRC. Work to get it running finished at 10pm the night before its first exhibition, namely Model Rail Scotland 2013. Designed with 4 feet width of scenery at either end because we wanted scenery to dominate the rails and not the other way around.

post-14517-0-82760900-1362078641_thumb.jpg

post-14517-0-35750400-1362078659_thumb.jpg

post-14517-0-29921500-1362078676_thumb.jpg

post-14517-0-51185400-1362078689_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm salivating after catching up with this thread.

What would you give to have all of these under the one roof?

Loads if inspiration for all to see. No wonder Scotland's a popular subject particularly with these examples being selflessly exhibited for all to see.

Thanks for posting for those that can't make it to some of the shows that are a little to far to make.

Here is Glenburn, the latest N gauge Scottish based layout of the Glasgow & West of Scotland MRC. Work to get it running finished at 10pm the night before its first exhibition, namely Model Rail Scotland 2013. Designed with 4 feet width of scenery at either end because we wanted scenery to dominate the rails and not the other way around.

Glenburn was the highlight of Model Rail for me.  We visited on the Sunday and it was quiet enough to spend a long time looking at layouts which with 8 and 4 year olds can be tricky, and thanks to the operator who allowed my wife close inspection of the brass footbridge that had only been completed on the thursday night.  She is now inspired to help my layout efforts,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44346-lady-victoria-colliery/

• RMweb Gold

Glenburn was the highlight of Model Rail for me.  We visited on the Sunday and it was quiet enough to spend a long time looking at layouts which with 8 and 4 year olds can be tricky, and thanks to the operator who allowed my wife close inspection of the brass footbridge that had only been completed on the thursday night.  She is now inspired to help my layout efforts,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44346-lady-victoria-colliery/

Hey, I remember you and your wife!  It was me that you spoke to and I lifted the footbridge off the layout to let you both examine it in more detail. As you say, I had completed construction and installed it on the branch line station just before we took the layout to the show. The first loco through the station on setting up at the SECC on the Thursday fouled the underside. So we had to then prise it off and add a millimetre or so of packing under the supports so that all the stock cleared it.

I'm so glad you found our layout to be the highlight of the show. It is a real bonus when someone shows their appreciation of our efforts.

• 3 weeks later...

Introducing my third attempt in N gauge...a fictional branch off the Kyle line to Gairloch. The original idea came from Iain Rice's 'Light Railway Layout Designs' while the track plan is based on the suggestion for 'Roshven' in 'Modelling the British Rail Era' by Steve Flint, et al.

I've been wanting to model this subject for years but don't have the space in my usual modelling scale of 4mm EM, so the introduction of the Bachmann '24' and Dapol '26' in N was all the incentive I needed.

Modelling time is limited so progress is slow (the photos represent about 3 months work so far) but I will hopefully be able to post the occasional update!

Kevin

8555034068_442ca97b0c.jpg
P1060621 by GWRKev, on Flickr

8553927905_5dc5c3963c.jpg
P1060627 by GWRKev, on Flickr

• Like 4

As my new Scottish OO 1980s Speedlink Era layout  'Springburn Yard' is now progressing well I thought I would post a couple of pics.

I've been inspired by pics of J G Russell's Deanside Transit, Glasgow, Speedlink distribution depot.

post-7898-0-74263900-1363794673_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-75540100-1363794751_thumb.jpg

Progess of the layout can been seen here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66595-springburn-yard/

Mal

• Like 3

Hey, I remember you and your wife!  It was me that you spoke to and I lifted the footbridge off the layout to let you both examine it in more detail. As you say, I had completed construction and installed it on the branch line station just before we took the layout to the show. The first loco through the station on setting up at the SECC on the Thursday fouled the underside. So we had to then prise it off and add a millimetre or so of packing under the supports so that all the stock cleared it.

I'm so glad you found our layout to be the highlight of the show. It is a real bonus when someone shows their appreciation of our efforts.

Must say I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the layout. The areas of scenery certainly were worth the effort. To me that's the main beauty of N is to have track running in a landscape.

Eskmuir by Tony Bucknell (caley439 on here)

A 4mm / 00 layout based on Brechin in 1958 to 1964.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Video at

Eskmuir will be appearing at:

Railex2013, Aylesbury on 25&26th May 2013

Wigan FRM, Wigan on 15&16th June 2013

Huddersfield RM, Holmfirth on 26&27th October 2013

This is an excellent  layout that needs more coverage. Hopefully see you at Railex.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Eskmuir by Tony Bucknell (caley439 on here)

A 4mm / 00 layout based on Brechin in 1958 to 1964.

post-7035-0-83815300-1357291127_thumb.jp

attachicon.gif

i don't often look in on this thread but i'm glad i did today!

scrolling through this page, i noticed the first image and something made me think again - i recognised it straight away as brechin station front

i only know it from preservation times - my dad was from brechin and in the '80s used to go up now and again to visit relatives - the station then looked very forlorn and the fledgling BRPS had not long started. (must look through stuff still at my mum's, as i joined the BRPS and i still have some of the 'basic' photocopied newsletters)

it's always nice to see how far the (now) caledonian railway have got, as at the time i was 'involved' it was very much a small core of individuals trying to make the best of what small resources they had.

i also just thought on how fortunate it was that the station buildings were kept - i'm sure there were many places, reduced to a small freight-only service, where the buildings would've been pulled down without a thought

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Just been looking at Eskmuir it brings back many happy memories of holidays spent in Brechin.  My Father was also from Brechin, and my Grandfather was a stonemason his yard was at the top of Scott Street next to the large wooden Goods Shed that was used mainly by lime traffic for agriculture in the area.  I’d spend hours in his stonemason’s yard which was shared with an agricultural merchant watching either J37s up to 1967 or later on class 26 or 27 locomotives shunting mainly coal and lime wagons in the yard.  Later on I would explore the derelict engine shed and signal box now demolished.  My father and grandfather would also take me with them to visit a man called Bill Stevens who was the local road sweeper; he was a very gifted model engineer and used to tell a story of how during the depression years of the 1930s the LMS stored a patriot locomotive in the shed.   Angus District Libraries and Museums published a book in 1985 called The Railways of Brechin. It contains a history of the line together with diagrams of track layouts at Brechin, Montrose, Edzel and other stations.  It was still available a few years ago when I was last in Brechin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

blogentry-11459-0-72641500-1300414374_thumb.jpg
blogentry-11459-0-73617800-1327151003_thumb.jpg

My own stay at home effort. MEANACH. Set on the proposed but never built Tulloch to highland main line freight link.  Set around 10 miles east of the west highland line, Meanach is a typical island passing loop. Mainly freight with 4 passenger trains per day.

• Like 12

My own stay at home effort. MEANACH. Set on the proposed but never built Tulloch to highland main line freight link.  Set around 10 miles east of the west highland line, Meanach is a typical island passing loop. Mainly freight with 4 passenger trains per day.

I like the look of this, do you have more pictures?