Southern / BR(S) Layouts

Graham_Muz

Guest jonte

Welcome aboard, Neil; what took you so long to find us? :lol:

Carrick Road is Southern through and through. Terrific!! Particularly impressed by the weathering to the track. Forgive me if you've mentioned it before, but what techniques did you use? It's blended beautifully. It's starting to me bend me in the direction of Peco again !!

Best wishes,

Jonte (Jon)

• Like 1

Hi Jonte, thanks but its nothing special. Peco code 75, laid on cork floor tiles then ballasted with Green Scene ballast, a mix of 00 and N.yes.gif

Then sprayed with pva and water through a garden sprayer (£1 at a £1 shoplaugh1.gif) then when dry, the lot is sprayed with a mix of Railmatch sleeper grime, frame dirt, roof dirt (all sparingly and from their spray cans) till it looks about right (to me).

i have also started to use the Model Master dyes (oily brown, rusty red and black) to good (to me) effect as well.

Try it out on an odd test piece first and see what you think, you could try the two side by side.

main thing with Peco is its quick, as at the mo, time is something I dont have to much of.

PB wrote:

[Admin edit,] Sutton Bingham and Chard Junction were both* single story structures (Sutton was two wooden huts) Not all the buildings along the SW mainline were examples of the overblown William Tite edifice, in reality, many were built by local builders and reflect the local style.

[admin edit: provocative text removed]

Tim

*Both are in the same locale as the proposed station.

Hello Tim,

It's a free world, and you are entitled to your views on architectural history. However, I prefer the accepted view regarding the the use of Tite's designs for the intermediate stations on the Exeter Extension.

When I compiled my earlier thread (#23 above), I wanted to make a generalisation in the briefest manner. However, the subject clearly deserves better.

Of these intermediate stations, each had its own history, but Chard Junction was particularly different.

Firstly though, the goods shed was unmistakeably in Tite's "Gothic Revival" style used along the line. The design generally used brick, but at Crewkerne stone was used as an alternative. Yeovil Town Station had a larger version, that was further enlarged with time, and Exeter Queen Street had a monster version, with room for more than one internal track.

post-489-0-85113700-1312550611_thumb.jpg

The defining features are the Gothic arch used for the main doorway at each end, the buttresses, the hamstone quoins to apertures and corners, and the capping stones to each gable. And yes, these features also reflect local non-railway practice.

The stationmaster's house was detached, and sited to the north of the goods yard. The building on the up platform only housed the business needs for passengers and parcels. The first building, constructed with the opening of the line, appears to have been camera-shy, but the one photo known to exist reveals a single storey wooden building similar to though larger than Sutton Bingham. This first building was replaced after 1913 with a brick building that survived until the end of steam. Investigation of plans shows that the second building had the same footprint as the first, and the photo shows that both buildings were much similar with ridges and gabled ends.

post-489-0-91462800-1312552787_thumb.jpg

The use of decorative stonework matches the other Gothic Revival styled buildings on this line.

Sutton Bingham was home to the other wooden station building. There are many photos of this, showing road and platform elevations, and whatever may be said about the construction, it certainly was not just two wooden huts. Roof detail, gable ends, and the Gothic arches to the passenger doorways all reveal attention to detail and the corporate image. Comparison of these elevations with, say, Broad Clyst, confirm the existence of a single design office for almost all of the original Extension stations.

Hope this is of interest

PB

• Like 1

Gentlemen, whilst topic diversions are acceptable it may be better to create a separate topic where the material is heading in a divergent direction. However a topic is not the domain of the OP to dictate what should and should not be in there and polite mutual development of content would be the way to go rather than being confrontational over the credentials of a fellow contributor.

I see that Peter has clearly qualified the earlier statement with supporting evidence.

Guest jonte

Hi Jonte, thanks but its nothing special. Peco code 75, laid on cork floor tiles then ballasted with Green Scene ballast, a mix of 00 and N.yes.gif

Then sprayed with pva and water through a garden sprayer (£1 at a £1 shoplaugh1.gif) then when dry, the lot is sprayed with a mix of Railmatch sleeper grime, frame dirt, roof dirt (all sparingly and from their spray cans) till it looks about right (to me).

i have also started to use the Model Master dyes (oily brown, rusty red and black) to good (to me) effect as well.

Try it out on an odd test piece first and see what you think, you could try the two side by side.

main thing with Peco is its quick, as at the mo, time is something I dont have to much of.

Thanks, Neil; most kind.

Shall have to give it a go.

BTW - I'm opting for Peco afterall!!

Best wishes,

Jon.

• 3 weeks later...

As indicated above, my current work-in-progress is titled "SouthWest by Southern". This is a title that I created several years ago, firstly for a roundy that unfortunately outgrew my resources, and had to be sold to become a Great Western layout!

I retained my working title for the next project, the end-to-end depicted above, and with its own thread in the Layout section of the Forum. I am convinced that I am the originator of this title, and until recently the sole user.

I now see that another Forum user has lifted my title, including the use of upper and lower case fonts, to use as an external link to a blogspot, which itself has "borrowed" my choice of layout name.

This to me raises an interesting question, when is plagiarism acceptable, and when is it not so?

I freely admit to attempting to reproduce inspirational themes in another's earlier layout. The list would be endless, but the airfield on "Wartime" has a touch of genius in its simplicity, and the execution of "Rowlands Castle" just leaves me awestruck. If I could incorporate any part of these layouts in my own work I would do so, and give full credit.

So why is it that I feel a tad miffed when my unique layout title gets lifted? The work shown under the borrowed title is excellent; I would be flattered if the world should think it mine. But it ain't, and perhaps there is the issue.

I have corresponded with the "borrower" in the belief that the issue will disappear. In the meantime I ask Forum readers to note the duplication of titles. Mine will be the poorer work.

PB

I now see that another Forum user has lifted my title, including the use of upper and lower case fonts, to use as an external link to a blogspot, which itself has "borrowed" my choice of layout name.

To reduce the possibility of confusion within the scope of the forum I have edited the member's signature to that of his blog url.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Jam, certainly worthy of addition to the links OP.

I have updated the OP accordingly to add a few of the other layouts missing from the list.

I have also arranged a tidy up of the Group area moving a couple of threads that have now ended up as layout threads into the main layout topics of the forum to maintain the policy of keeping layout threads in that area with a link from this Group area to ensure that such threads get the widest audience.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Howard

Howard thanks for the heads up to your thread, look a great project and one I shall follow with interest. I have updated the OP to include your link.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Graham,

Tor Giffard will be a large P4 celebration of the former LSWR routes of North Devon - traffic pattern basically Coleford jnc with scenery based on a wooded river valley adj. the River Torridge - Landcross/Weare Giffard area. 1951-1971 progressive operating sequence.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52291-tor-giffard-former-lswr-routes-of-north-devon-1951-71/page-7

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Appledore also now duly added, it is good to the see the list is a really healthy length, long live the Southern! :sungum: Sunshine comes first there you know...

• Like 3