Your Waverley Route Models

Guest Max Stafford

Incredible work being shown in this 'ere thread - more power to your collective elbows chaps!

Dave - re your comment in post #43 about 'Type 5 Maybachs'.... do you know something I don't? :biggrin_mini2: . I love the finish you've managed to perfect on the Brit, A1s, A3s etc, absolutely top notch stuff there. All of these Waverley threads are very distracting I have to admit... I'm finding it hard enough as it is trying to stick to the other WR...... ;)

• Like 1

Your scurrilous links to all things pictorially Waverleyesque don't help matters young Chard! You are a very bad man, but in a nice way ;) .

Despite the fact that my heart is very much rooted at Paddington, I can fully understand the allure of the Waverley, I think it has the same attraction as the Woodhead does for a lot of people. So far, I've managed to hold off picking up cheap Heljan pre-Tops 26s, at the moment it's only the thought of Dapol's forthcoming Hydraulics that's keeping on the right side of the fence...!

Guest Max Stafford

Another two '68 period locos tonight gents. Both in early blue, D5311 is like her two green sisters, converted from Heljan's 26/0 with rudimentary surgery.

D17 is straight Bachmann with proper numbers applied and the headcode boxes returned to their intended use. This one's for Bruce as I believe this loco holds happy memories for him! :)

Dave.

post-6676-0-95062300-1314998212.jpg

post-6676-0-27582200-1314998244.jpg

post-6676-0-80950600-1314998272.jpg

post-6676-0-74081500-1314998290.jpg

• Like 6

Guest Max Stafford

It's just occurred to me that I haven't posted up images of the middle loco of the 26s (D5316) on here, so although I've posted them on the blog and other threads, I really should share these slightly blurry 1965 shots of 2S52...

A Tweedmouth to St Boswells goods was also passing...

Dave.

post-6676-0-00025400-1314998859.jpg

post-6676-0-59968200-1314998883.jpg

post-6676-0-33612700-1314998899.jpg

post-6676-0-47510400-1314998949.jpg

• Like 9

Lovely bit of work there Dave, that 'going away' shot with D5316 is particularly pleasing! The Bachy 'splitter' Peak is a gem too, that's the first pic I've seen of one close up and the front end looks great. You can't beat a bit of pre-Tops blue...

I can picture Nidge bracing against the A-post, digging his heels in and screeching 'No, I'm not going over to the other side' as the Waverlites bundle him into the dark and mysterious van with blacked out windows and a skeletal driver in what looks suspiciously like a hood....

But as there's no emoticon for that, I'll just have to crack-on with my quartet of BRCWs.

Now that the i.d's of Dave's are becoming clearer, I can pick my lottery numbers from the Last Month between (53)07 and 19 without duplication :sungum:

Then, maybe another batch of pics will get our Warwickshire compadre to the tipping-point..... before Dapol Dave snatches him from the jaws of Whitrope!

• Like 1

Another Waverley Route regular, just completed. A2/1 'Robert the Bruce', built using the PDK kit.

post-7313-0-26272800-1315136676.jpg

A reasonably good kit, though I would have preferred it if the boiler hadn't been resin as it made getting enough weight in difficult. However it can pull the Thames/Forth set on my loft test track so it'll do.

Jeremy

• Like 2

I can picture Nidge bracing against the A-post, digging his heels in and screeching 'No, I'm not going over to the other side' as the Waverlites bundle him into the dark and mysterious van with blacked out windows and a skeletal driver in what looks suspiciously like a hood....

But as there's no emoticon for that, I'll just have to crack-on with my quartet of BRCWs.

Now that the i.d's of Dave's are becoming clearer, I can pick my lottery numbers from the Last Month between (53)07 and 19 without duplication :sungum:

Then, maybe another batch of pics will get our Warwickshire compadre to the tipping-point..... before Dapol Dave snatches him from the jaws of Whitrope!

My dear young Chard,

You don't know how right you are :laugh_mini: ! Having spent a large swaith of yesterday perusing the other Waverley threads hereabouts in some detail, I must conceed to being very close to 'seeing the light' and muttering to myself 'blimey this is ace' several times, and with another birthday looming a visit to my local emporium might well end in tears, but... I'm still holding out for all things Swindon (and a little bit North British) to come to the rescue just in the nick of time! Not having enough room for a layout makes the distractions that much harder to fend off though, as each loco I buy becomes a 'bookshelf exhibit' and doesn't really need to fit in with any grand plan, region or timeframe! Doing the odd non Western Region loco for other folk hasn't helped matters either and having a bit of a clear out a couple of years ago left me with various odds and ends covering four BR Regions and a twenty five year timespan....in thirty odd years of modelling I haven't really achieved much, but have had a lot of fun meandering along various paths.

I remain Sir, on the fence until you lot post some more pictures of your fine Borders creations ;) !

A couple of completed additions to my north end of the route based roster ....

61244 in a more workstained guise.

You'll need to excuse the smokebox shedplate which remains from the original model, I just can't do 2mm shedplates!! It was torture even just getting the buffer beam markings right in 2mm.

Thanks to Bachmann Farish these days for really upping the standard of N gauge models. This one is a beaut, and has already been joined by another one awaiting an Edinburgh identity in due course.

040911005.jpg

040911003.jpg

040911002.jpg

040911001.jpg

• Like 5

Another completion but also seen before so apologies for duplication, but her she is in her final guise. Again workstained.

80124 ended up at St Margarets in later life I believe via Dundee, and I think I came across photographic evidence on Borders duty.

Showing some of the shortcomings of older models (in this no footplate steps or pipework).

040911001-1.jpg

040911003-1.jpg

040911005-1.jpg

• Like 3

Oh, now that's quite a haul, and as for the St Peg's legend on 61244's bufferbeam! :O

This is awesome, and it's really pushing the WR's 2mm boundaries mate, great shots and thanks for posting - the camera lens can be very harsh in that scale but what you've achieved there is bloody brilliant, and I reckon at NVD* they are jawdroppers; love the crew too - classic WR poses, usually ones of relief coupled with exhaustion.

* normal viewing distance

Thanks 'Chard for your kind words, always appreciated. Can't take credit for the weathering work, that came courtesy of a talented friend from Glesga. I think he's done a fine job, I know some don't tend to like the stained look and would perhaps might even say its overdone compared with the superbly subtle work of Mr Stafford. However for me I do tend to like the workstained look for some reason.

2mm is really kicking on, with Dapols class 26 imminent (I've one pre-ordered) and Bachmann's A1 due any day now its truly good times for the wee modellers. Now if only my eyesight would just hold out....

Still on the workbench is a halfbaked yellow striped Merlin and also a Peak. I really ought to concentrate on the scenery and layout at some point :mosking:

A couple of completed additions to my north end of the route based roster ....

61244 in a more workstained guise.

You'll need to excuse the smokebox shedplate which remains from the original model, I just can't do 2mm shedplates!! It was torture even just getting the buffer beam markings right in 2mm.

Thanks to Bachmann Farish these days for really upping the standard of N gauge models. This one is a beaut, and has already been joined by another one awaiting an Edinburgh identity in due course.

Strang Steel looks awesome!

I did a Langley kit of the same loco for a Club colleague - I was pretty pleased with it but it is nothing like as nice as that!

I need to turn thoughts at some stage to some locos to run on my Whitrope Siding layout when it is finished.

For now more generic representations of classes will have to do. Farish's 61139, my weathered B1 or one of my two de-named and renumbered V2s.

I think my own Oliver Bury will just be run under "Rule 1" however "wrong" I just cannot bring myself to touch it for risk of ruining such a lovely model!

Regards

Roy

• Like 2

Guest Max Stafford

Roy, in just uttering the words 'Whitrope Siding' and 'my layout' in the one sentence you have brought the attention of the 'Border Union Collective' upon yourself!

We will of course be looking for photographs of your layout in due course...!

Oh, aren't these good times for Waverlites? :sungum:

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed and N gauge too :imsohappy:

Just about finished now still a bit of tidying, detailing, dirtying that's all, attached (If I can get it to work!) are a couple of pics of my nearly finished Whitrope Siding layout taken on my good Lady's mobile (I need some new batteries for my camera!). The shot from behind the snow-fence seems to have bouced the flash back because of the glue I used to stick it in place - now remediated.

Any thoughts/observations gratefully recieved.

Roy

post-4469-0-19267300-1317763192.jpg

post-4469-0-50860000-1317763214.jpg

• Like 2

I went to Tadrail in Berkhamsted today and met up with Roy LS of this parish who was exhibiting his N Gauge model of Whitrope Siding. The most amusing comment was form a man to a young boy on the lines of "The layout is not yet finished he still has to make the buildings". A very atmospheric interpretation of the scene. It displays a good range of the typical trains of the last years period.. Funny that we were talking about the lack of an N Gauge A3. Quite a surprise when I see the Dapol section of the forum.

Well done to Roy for promoting the Waverley Route.

Bernard

post-149-0-33202200-1318102317_thumb.jpg post-149-0-61751600-1318102354_thumb.jpg

• Like 5