Memories

skipepsi

My compliments sir from another Hull person (Newland Ave) on a fine set of Deltic photographs especially those taken at Hull Paragon.

I feel I must offer my unworthy examples.

Thank you, that is very kind of you (I'm Goddard Ave by the way :-)). At the time it seemed hardly anyone came to Hull, let alone took photos here. I've discovered a few people on a couple of internet sites who did take pics which has been good to see.

Your example are anything but "unworthy"! Pictures of Deltics in their first few years of service are always welcome! 

All I can say is thank God they preserved Alycidon!!  Despite a very active spotting career from 1965 onwards D9009 eluded me completely.  I saw every other one at least once, starting with Crepello at Edinburgh Waverley in 1965.  I finally caught up with Alycidon on the North Yorkshire Moors railway in the 80s.

Best memory was an overnight from York in 1976, my mate and I had a day's spotting followed by a pub crawl round York and caught the train home shortly before midnight. Thanks to the mixture of good Yorkshire beer we fell asleep quickly, but I awoke in the early hours to see OHLE masts slipping past in the darkness, I went to the door and was treated to the sound of the Deltic lifting the heavy train up Beattock.  We also were treated to a trip round the Edinburgh "sub" so that the train was the right way round to go to Aberdeen - Great memories.

JIm

ALYCIDON was my last Deltic too. I needed that one and MELD for ages. Saw them both at Donny on the same day in 1973.

• 4 years later...

rather bitter sweet memory for me  30/12/81 on my way to work as a stockpot trb catching the dodger from Stalybridge to Stockport  gave me the chance to capture koyli  on the 12.05 ex lime street the last time a Deltic was to work this diagram  over the pennines  usualy used for the runout turn for whichever engine was on that weekends railtour glad i was there to capture it but sad at the time as thought that was it for Deltics on the mainline little did i know . 

EPSON002-2.jpg

EPSON003-2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a very late comer to this thread.  Early morning in a cottage a mile from the ECML,5 miles west of Dunbar. Gradually a soft drone would become louder as the Deltic on a sleeper headed north accelerating away from the Dunbar slow.Then having reached line speed,it would throttle back for the East Linton curves and gradually the silence would return.

One Saturday about 1963 I went to visit a friend who lived close to Drem Station.The Homeward  journey to Dunbar where I could get a bus was behind D9000.

In 2008 I travelled from Longniddry to Mallaig on a Special behind the same Royal Scots Grey.

And yes I saw the Deltic Farewell Scotsman in 1982!