East Coast Flying Scotsman Launch

• RMweb Gold

Today saw the first run of the 4hr Edinburgh - London service by East Coast. 91101 and DVT 82205 have been re-vinyled in maroon, fading into the grey to match the coaches. It actually looks very smart but would have been better if the vinyls were applied to clean rolling stock.

Here are a couple of pics I took at Peterborough, as the set shot through this morning.

5750369162_035d133dac_o.jpg

5750366530_5c1f35b0ed_b.jpg

Some better shots can be found here (not mine)

DVT on the Scotsman

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/53104659

91101on the rear

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/53104671

• RMweb Gold

It's going to be a right nuisance when it finishes up on a Leeds turn due to set changeovers or awful confusing if it runs into an intermediate station and all the passengers for Edinburgh don't know it's working a Newcastle terminating service. So was it just for today or are the privateers out to re-learn yet another lesson BR learnt a very long time ago and waste a pile of our cash in so doing?

(In fact it's probably part of a fiendish plot to demonstrate that route/operator liveried trains don't work so everything will have to be in one colour schemewink.gif}

It's going to be a right nuisance when it finishes up on a Leeds turn due to set changeovers or awful confusing if it runs into an intermediate station and all the passengers for Edinburgh don't know it's working a Newcastle terminating service.

The Flying Scotsman diagram includes a KX - Leeds return during the day:

1E01 05.40 Edinburgh - Kings X 09.40

1D10 10.35 Kings X - Leeds 12.46

1A31 13.15 Leeds - Kings X 15.25

1S25 16.30 Kings X - Edinburgh 21.15

With regard to the confusion I seriously doubt Joe Public pays all that much attention to whats on the front of the train really and even so I don't think they'd instantly assume they were bound for Edinburgh or Kings X because of the Flying Scotsman branding. Its just as well really at the set is in the common user pool so it will turn up allover the east coast.

Personally I think it looks very nice. Maybe they'd consider doing a blue 91/dvt and starting a West Riding Service B) .

• RMweb Gold

I don't believe this set is to be dedicated to the Flying Scotsman diagram but will enter normal service. In time, the 91 and Mk4 rake will no doubt part their ways.

Not sure if this is a one-off or East Coast's new-style for locos and DVTs. Beats plain grey.

• RMweb Premium

That definitely has a touch of class to it - perhaps with some sort of vehicle side crest as well ...cool.gif

Maybe call it GNER :laugh: ?

Pity the 4hr timing only applies to the one train southbound and there is just one fast train south from Leeds as well.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

The Flying Scotsman diagram includes a KX - Leeds return during the day:

1E01 05.40 Edinburgh - Kings X 09.40

1D10 10.35 Kings X - Leeds 12.46

1A31 13.15 Leeds - Kings X 15.25

1S25 16.30 Kings X - Edinburgh 21.15

With regard to the confusion I seriously doubt Joe Public pays all that much attention to whats on the front of the train really and even so I don't think they'd instantly assume they were bound for Edinburgh or Kings X because of the Flying Scotsman branding. Its just as well really at the set is in the common user pool so it will turn up allover the east coast.

The travelling public (except for committed regular commuters) tend to be a very unsure bunch in need of constant reassurance because they are out of their comfort zone and in many cases are feeling vulnerable. Standing at an intermediate station and something comes in with 'Flying Scotsman' on the side immediately puts doubt in the mind of someone who is unsure or isn't waiting to board 'The Flying Scotsman'. This is where GNER were very clever and talked about 'The Route of The Flying Scotsman'. This new brand stands a much better chance of working if it is applied universally across the ECML fleet but if it isn't it will be seen by passengers as 'something a bit different' and - unless things have changed greatly among the travelling public - they will be looking for help and reassurance and racing back to check the CIS screens or asking left right & centre.

• RMweb Premium

Rail blue is a nice colour... :D

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........................................................................................

:help:

Mick

Like it! Looks like a great idea.

Unfortunately we find this kind of marketing does cause no end of problems for passengers 'down under' :rolleyes:

post-4406-0-55305400-1306198985_thumb.jpg

No, that's the IP, alright; those wagons behind are "specials" for transferring all the boat people from Christmas Island over to Woomera and beyond...

• RMweb Premium

It seems the set is working the 07:00 KGX to Edinburgh service today arriving at 11:25. Calls Peterborough, York, Darlington, Newcastle, Berwick.

there was a occasion back in the days of class 47/7s on the push pulls an old woman going to Haymarket got on a queen st to Aberdeen service when told she was on the wrong train she complained "well it said Haymarket on the locomotive"

the loco was of course named Haymarket.

dont give the public credit for being intelligent. it amazes me how some of them find their way out of the house in the morning. i had one a few weeks ago at a station with 3 platforms there is a footbridge between platform 2 and 3. "excuse me how do I get to the other platform? I got in the lift and all it did was take me to the top of the stairs!" :help:

The one thing I have learnt in my time spent in jobs where I deal at length with the general public, is that there is no question too stupid to be asked. Those Direct Line adverts that are everywhere at the moment aren't so far from the truth. They try, bless 'em.

As for the livery. Very swish. :) As has been said though, it rather looses it's meaning when it's on a Leeds stopper.

there was a occasion back in the days of class 47/7s on the push pulls an old woman going to Haymarket got on a queen st to Aberdeen service when told she was on the wrong train she complained "well it said Haymarket on the locomotive"

the loco was of course named Haymarket.

dont give the public credit for being intelligent. it amazes me how some of them find their way out of the house in the morning. i had one a few weeks ago at a station with 3 platforms there is a footbridge between platform 2 and 3. "excuse me how do I get to the other platform? I got in the lift and all it did was take me to the top of the stairs!" :help:

I've clearly being giving the general public far more credit than they deserve. I wonder, did all these problems exist when we had West Countries named Exeter, Padstow etc...

I supposed that puts the guy with the horse at Wrexham into a new light...at least he got to the platform!

• RMweb Gold

It is reputedly why the GWR ceased to name locos after places over 100 years back.

I believe the LB&SCR had the same problem when many of Stroudley's locos were named after places served by the railway.

David

It is reputedly why the GWR ceased to name locos after places over 100 years back.

A tour of the LMS Jubilees would be nice (though a little impractical by train) Bahamas or Seychelles anyone :)

I think overall it looks smart, but not sure about the thistle and the fade from purple to silver - it looks awkward on the end of the loco like that. Perhaps a diagonal division to mirror the original Intercity colours, but that's getting even closer to CrossCountry's livery!

Like others, I can't help thinking it'd look better in Saltire blue....

Archived