What happened to Crownline?

sjp23480

But the Hornby 9F doesn't have Caprotti valve gear, it has standard Walschaerts gear.

After some investigation it would seem the Horny 'Duke of Gloucester' model valve gear and cylinder block may well do the job, that's X6599 for the cylinders and X6600 for the valve gear itself. I didn't realise that anyone did a 'Duke of Gloucester' but it does look pretty good.

But the Hornby 9F doesn't have Caprotti valve gear, it has standard Walschaerts gear.

After some investigation it would seem the Horny 'Duke of Gloucester' model valve gear and cylinder block may well do the job, that's X6599 for the cylinders and X6600 for the valve gear itself. I didn't realise that anyone did a 'Duke of Gloucester' but it does look pretty good.

While the Duke of Gloucester may have had a reputation for his performance due to him being horny, the locomotive named after him originally had a reputation for being a bit emasculated, and a bit of an underperformer...

Dug out my portfolio, it was MR169, May 2012. If you are at Warley I'll bring R. A. Riddles for you to see :)

I'll try and get to Warley this year, if only to see your 8F,  :D  Arriva and Corss Country allowing of course.

While mentioning my outrageous plans at my club last night (Gloucester Model Railway Club) i found to my amazement that one of my fellow club members had also built an 8F, complete with fully compensated chassis! He's going to bring it along next week and I'll take some pics with luck.

The trailing truck for mine arrived this morning so i really ought to start cutting metal and plastic.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

This an old thread but a query - does anyone today do the sort of conversion offerings Crownline did and if yes an M7 to G5 option?

If I can find an old Hornby M7 2nd hand I'm looking to possibly bodge it into something vaguely NER G5 shaped. I know one is due out RTR next year but mid-2020 is a long wait and this would fill the gap. It won't be right but square windows to the cab back and a truncated, railed, pyramid bunker top are the key visual differences unless you get into rivet counting accuracy.

I collected some of the conversion kits because I thought they had potential to build as full or near-full kits by buying-in suitable extra parts, so I ended up eventually with

1 Peppercorn A1

2 x Ivatt "2" 2-6-2Ts

2 x Ivatt "2" 2-6-0s (one to be built as a BR Std.2)

1 "City of Truro" (which only needs the smokebox saddle position moved back by 2mm to turn into a proper scale "City")

2 Thompson B1s (Bill Bedford produced a full Diag. 100A boiler and cab etch, which teams up well with the Crownline etchings)

Nowadays you need to approach kit manufacturers direct to see if they will provide castings, etc. separately. SEF's spare parts service is well-known, but separate parts are also available from:

David Geen (Malcolm Mitchell range) - for GW

Dave Bradwell - for selected NE/LNE

Mike Russell / DMR - various

247 Developments has a range of mainly whitemetal castings, which is fairly well-known

Craftsman Models are still around, and their detail parts are still available

Also don't forget the Albert Goodall range still exists for Bulleid Pacific detailing parts, but only available if you go to certain shows like Woking. However, the spray-painted and riveted(!) paper overlays which Albert used to offer to cover the Airfix / Dapol bodysides were withdrawn after his death.

David Geen has retired. The Mitchell range has returned to its owner. Pete Waterman.

Archived