moorswater viaduct 2FS

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

I see that you have gone down the same route for making fencing as I used for Avonwick. After a few hundred / thousand it gets rather tedious.

Thanks Kris - a few 100/1000?....I was thinking 45 was tedious...mind you I have about 2 metres to build for my CJ-M layout. Which colours did you paint your fence?...at the moment mine looks what it is...plasticard with bits of fuse wire in between...I am guessing dark colours are better?...

• RMweb Premium

I painted mine a mix of colours, dark browns and greys then mixed and matched to create an impression of old fencing that had had posts renewed at different times. Some of the posts also have a tint of green to them.

I've still got more to make at some point. That's one for a really wet day as I also have 6 or 7 holes in each.

• RMweb Gold

Update - The fence has now been assembled and been installed. It needs a little painting and weathering and perhaps a little foilage up against it in places but I hope it gives the overall look I was after.

This weekend I will try and clad the Brunel pier and work on the unfinished bits of the viaduct....famous last words... :O

A couple of shots with 'overly shiny 37207 William Cooksworthy much in need of weathering' included for scale...

post-3290-0-97991200-1316193882.jpg

Posts are plasticard with 5amp fuse wire between...

post-3290-0-98654800-1316193919.jpg

Excuse the unclad Brunel pier in the background...

Have a good weekend all :bye:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

The fencing looks superb. Things seem to be coming together nicely and adding the shots of 37207 really capture the essence of the line. Be good to see the Brunellian pier clad as well.

Have a successful weekend.:-)

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Pete. I would agree with Kris on the fencing colours. The wire are usually a darkish brown ( dirty rust?) wooden posts tend to go greyish unless regulaly treated and gain a pale greenish sheen of algae. I took some photos in the FOD for reference but are not on this computer.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all your kind comments

Don - Will have a go at the colours on the fence this week...

Kevin - A couple of hours to cut and drill the pieces, an hour or so to thread them and about an hour to install it. This was done over a period of about 3 days though, as done as a continuous exercise would have scrambled my brain!

• RMweb Gold

Pete - I like that photo of the train below Moorswater. The sense of scale is awesome.

If the fence was painted and the loco weathered, as you say, that would look VERY realistic indeed.

Many thanks Chris...

Fabulous stuff Pete. Love the sense of scale in such a small area.

Not long to go now!

Many thanks also Mike...my app tells me there are 13 days to go...(minus the 3 I have in the UK next wknd) :O

• RMweb Gold

Update - Hasn't been as productive weekend as I had hoped for...a few things done to keep it moving...

The surround framework has been painted grey now and the edges touched in with a small paintbrush...I now need to redo the static grass to tidy it all up.

This afternoon I managed to steal a few hours and began cladding the Brunel pier. There is some filling to be done but overall its starting to look better.

post-3290-0-44274000-1316364852_thumb.jpg

The insides of the arches need lining and the detailing stones need to be added...

I must admit, I was a little weary to introduce this element as I felt it might overpower the viaduct....but I must admit, I do like the differing styles of the legs and once the ivy etc is added I hope it will help to put them both in context...

• RMweb Gold

Just a point now you've added the excellent fence - would the ground cover be the same each side ? If the non- railway side was for livestock, it would have shorter grass with brown patches, and the railway side could well be longer with more flowers/weeds.

But feel free to ignore this.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Just a point now you've added the excellent fence - would the ground cover be the same each side ? If the non- railway side was for livestock, it would have shorter grass with brown patches, and the railway side could well be longer with more flowers/weeds.

Stu - absolutely right I think. The static grass and scenics are still with the first coat...I was trying to finish the 'structures' first so I could grass up to and bed them in. The grass will be rougher 'train side' and with perhaps a bit of foilage creeping across the fence in places.

I am trying to capture the 80's look...which is a comment about how the freight only railway lines seemed to have been slightly better maintained than today...certainly true of this branch...

• RMweb Gold

Update - Bits and pieces last night...not very photogenic I am afraid.

Almost finished cladding the Brunel pier...just need to do the arch detailing stones.

Repaired the stones ruined on the main viaduct...

Need to get stuck into the 4 balconies now...

Then painting and weathering can commence...

And planting too...

Tick Tock Tick Tock...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete - can't believe I've not commented on this thread before! I'm utterly captivated by the overall effect you've managed here. That Brunel pier just adds so much to the scene, it will look marvellous when you've got some colouring & overgrowth on it.

As Brucie says - "You're my favorite..."

Archived