What area of the North West interests you?

Guest Tom F

Guest Tom F

Well I've already mentioned my main interest, Railways around the Fylde, Blackpool and Preston.

The WCML through the Lune Gorge and up through Shap has to be something that's always appealed also mind. :)

• RMweb Gold

WCML as you mention, Thrimby Grange, Grayrigg (I've modelled that in n gauge) and Oubeck are some of the evocative names for me. I own the actual signal box diagram from Tebay No.2.

Additionally my own Wirral / Liverpool area of course and the Lancashire Triangle are all areas of great interest.

Have to agree with Beast about Liverpool/Wirral area as being my main area of interest, but also the routes across the pennines has always got my attention.

As no one has defined how far North (Hellifield???) and how far west (Manx Railway???) would also be of interest to me.

Best regards,

Tom D

Guest Max Stafford

Tom, although my main spheres of interest are southern Scotland and NE England, being ensconced in Carlisle means that the immediate area around here is of great interest. I think the section of the WCML between Penrith and Carlisle is a little forgotten, being in the shadow of the great Scottish and Cumbrian climbing stretches. It's a shame because north of Penrith, there is a real poker straight racing track of a section with some great views.

Additionally, the Maryport and Carlisle section is largely overlooked yet it is a truly fascinating line of grossly understated importance in BR steam days.

Likewise the NBR incursion into the north west along the Silloth line is deserving of a wider audience.

Dave.

Being born and brought up in Preston and having spent many a long hour at the lineside, then the area centred on Preston is my main focus, extending to Blackpool & Fleetwood, Southport, Manchester, Liverpool, East Lancs and the WCML and branches to Carlisle and Crewe. This was my main stomping ground from 1962 to 1968.

• RMweb Premium

I grew up within earshot of the ex Furness, Barrow to Carnforth line (quite literally, as I could hear the trains rattling over Arnside Viaduct, 2 miles away, at night). I clearly remember watching blue 25's, 40's and 47's rattling over the viaduct and powering through Arnside Station, hauling everything from pick-up freights, engineering stock, chemical tankers from Courtaulds and MGR's (only seem to recall 47's hauling those), plus the short-lived daily Barrow to Euston 47 hauled express which, bizarrely, used to stop at Arnside.

Later, 31's appeared and around the time of the Skippers & Pacers being introduced, they were replaced with 31 hauled Mk2's in Regional Railways livery.

The line that passed very close to Storth was the Arnside to Hincaster branch, closed a year after I was born but I've always been fascinated with it, especially as you very rarely see any photos published of it. I was, however, there when one of my neighbours demolished the old FR signal box with his digger (he was a quarry worker). Even at a very young age, I felt a great sense of loss whilst all the other kids thought it was great to watch this big, yellow machine smash a building to pieces.

And finally, my Grandparents lived in Windermere when I was a child, and I used to coerce my poor old Grandad into taking me and my (non railway loving) Brother up to the station to watch the DMU's come in an out on what was by then the long siding it is today, although the train shed and much else still remained, albeit in a dilapidated state.

So, in a roundabout way, that's where my main interest in the North Western rail scene lies, although I am a sucker for buying any book about railways in Cumbria and Lancashire. Oh, and I model the steam & diesel transition period, North West influenced, despite being too young to remember it (I was born in 1970).

I now live in Oxford. The GWR has never appealed really rolleyes.gif

Guest Tom F

What a lovely area you grew up in, and up Windermere area too!

You may know the answer to this question. In the 50's and 60s was the Cumbrian Coast a much busier line back then....would it have been classes as a Main Line rather than the sort of branch status it has today?

• RMweb Premium

I think it's always had secondary status at best, although much busier back then because of the sheer amount of freight usage (especially between Barrow & Carlisle). Passenger wise, I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to travel to Barrow unless they absolutely had to, even back then biggrin.gif

I should have added above that on still nights, as well as hearing trains rattle over Arnside Viaduct, I could also hear the WCML electrics passing Milnthorpe & Holme.

It really was quiet growing up round there, and I still miss it now . I had to move away (worked in Kendal - not many people can do that nowadays) and ended up in Croydon for 11 years before moving to Oxford. Southern electrics used to run past the bottom of my garden in Croydon, on their way to Brighton and other posh sounding places (anywhere is posh compared to Croydon), but never developed any real love for the Southern region; I just thought they were Mk1's with cabs wink.gif

All of it, to be honest!

There were so many wonderful lines to choose from, and even the least of them had their points of interest. The Furness line sweeping alongside Morecambe Bay, with it irresistible branch to Lake Side. The LNWR main line with its fast, exciting trains. The L&Y network with its lovely oddities like the Horwich branch. The Midland's extravagantly engineered mainline to Manchester.

But, above all, the GC and CLC lines - and if you really want me to focus down beyond that, probably the GC secondary lines in the Manchester area plus the Wigan and St Helens branches.

Manchester area - Calder Valley- Oldham Loop- Standedge (you name it I like it)

Sounds like the makings of a sub group :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

Aaaaargh, no more sub-groups please - it'll get to the point where there is a group for people who prefer to use the third urinal from the left in the Gents toilets on platform 6 of Manchester Piccadilly station, but only if there is nobody using the ones to either side biggrin.gif

Guest Tom F

Aaaaargh, no more sub-groups please - it'll get to the point where there is a group for people who prefer to use the third urinal from the left in the Gents toilets on platform 6 of Manchester Piccadilly station, but only if there is nobody using the ones to either side biggrin.gif

haha very true :P

Chaps, the Manchester enthusiasts seem to be thriving here. i'd love to hear more about the area, so please feel free to see up a thread for the area :D and discuss to you hearts content :yahoo:

As a foreigner from down south (Cambs), I have to say the Blackpool area intersts me most in this area, through many holidays spent there. Even now it still "feels" that I'm going to see another Black 5 & Stanier coaches whenever I'm lineside, though that era has long gone. Then of corse there are the many trainspotting trips to sheds in the Manchester & Liverpool areas by the British Locomotive Society on a Sunday, so I do feel something for the NW.

Can't beat a J15 or Claud though!

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for the Manchester area from me. I've always had a soft spot for Manchester Victoria (pre-the MEN Arena) as I spent many hours there in the late 80s and early 90s, but my modelling interests are firmly the Midland, GC and CLC lines out of Manchester Central. I model the early post-Nationalisation period (1950-ish) so that one day I can model some of the last GCR 4-6-0s and in principle the CLC Clauds too!

Simon

Ohh i'd have to say Cumbria as a whole interests me...The Furness railway and Cumbrian Coast line and the Windermere branch. Also the CK&PR/ Eden valley and Stainmore and that section of WCML near Tebay and i dare say the S&C all very interesting lines :D

P.s i just noticed i just about named all the lines in Cumbria :P oh well haha

Thanks Matt

I've got a slide somewhere of one of the 2-10-0's passing Kirkstall Forge so they did get south of Hellifield very occaisionallly.

Jamie

Hi Jamie, that's one I won't have seen. Up to now the only photos I've seen have been a few on shed at Holbeck or on the Long Meg trains at Widnes and an entry in the signalbox register at Bolton Abbey box (Nr Ilkley). Can you describe the train consist and the lamp code as I'm told that this Carlisle engine 90763 was only on certain trains, which trains I don't know.

I would be most grateful. :drinks:

Dave Franks.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived