Layouts based on the period

Dave777

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Russ, I do like that shot of the 27 entering the overgrown station - the backscene in particular is most convincing - nice one!

certainly better than the one of the green (25?) which is similar except the tractor was parked on two wheels lol!

Stubby I'd get your blue pics of the layout on, many layouts are built for dual periods or transition era- just put the blue on

I found doing the transition era was too expensive whenever I got a blue loco I wanted a green equivalent, plus a few varaations in between, the green with full yellow ends sort of thing, ended up with 12x class 24/5 and 5x class 26/7 which was definitely not the aim of a 'one engine in steam layout' next will be blue & blue only!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here's another one still in the making, my 00 plank, 'Spencer Park SP', set somewhere in the Midlands c.1979.

Once I've a bit more time I'll create a layout topic thread on this, but some pics of the current state of play are inserted below.

I've just completed the ballasting - first time ever I have done this - it needs more toning down. The brick retaining wall sections shown here have since been stuck together (and so now a bit more complete than in the pics). A backscene will go behind this whole length in due course, possibly a Gaugemaster N-gauge Into the Town one to force some perspective. There's a single-road Bachmann shed to go onto the hard-standing area at one end too, and two fiddle yards (with scenic breaks) should help towards getting a bit of operational variety to run those locos (and a few wagons)!

The printed out track plan visible on the table was the original draft I came up with but I didn't like the 2 by 4 size of the board - the proportions didn't seem right to me - so I used a 4 by 1 piece of chipboard left over from my son's roundy-roundy instead. Really the whole thing is a bit of a test-bed for me to try out a few new skills, and hopefully one day it will slot into a (planned...) larger layout upstairs in the loft-room. Meanwhile, as can be seen, Spencer Park sits on my dining room table and consequently sees more regular day-to-day modelling, even so it's taken me over a year to get this far so don't hold your breath folks...

cheers,

Keith

post-10919-0-30644300-1319487532_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-77167000-1319487575_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-10359500-1319487604_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

still no proper full layout as such at the moment but plenty to work with when i finally get round to it!

its more of a train set evolution really based in 1987 in the south west.
test sidings on the go and being added to slowly.
pictures of my stock in my gallery, bit ropey but will soon have some better quality pictures to show
thread here http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1
post-11924-0-41051000-1335884902.jpg

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

A bit of an update on Spencer Park SP - since I posted back in October (doesn't time fly?).

Since then I have got the backscene sorted, depot lamps assembled and planted, and ballast more weathered (all thanks to some very helpful advice over the past few months from various RMWeb folk), so my 'plank' now looks like this:

post-10919-0-30733600-1325544092_thumb.jpg

and this:

post-10919-0-51908800-1325544154_thumb.jpg

Still lots to do but getting there...

I might even start a Layout Topics post!

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

Llanbourne is my North Wales inspired terminus, set in 1985-7 so plenty of blue diesels. other liverys were about by then but Blue locos are most common.

Excellent model. Can I ask where you got the DAF truck from, as I've been struggling to find lorries suitable for a similar period (other than the Bedford TK, the only others I can find are either 50s/60s or 90s+ models).

'Grove street yard' usually runs as BR blue (late 70s/early 80s) though it is designed to be easily run in other periods and often features industrial liveried locos rather than BR blue. (Link in sig file)

My new layout, Bolton Trinity Road, is being built to fit in the late 70s/early 80s bracket too. However that doesn't mean that in the privacy of my own layout shed I don't run occasional well out of period loose-coupled freight trains behind some of my steam loco collection.

My partner recently filmed some good shots of trains passing through the station area of the still incomplete model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywq_2fi1y7Q

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Settle-Carlisle N Gauge 1979-1983

post-13274-0-46844600-1327358201.jpg

post-13274-0-41795100-1327358266.jpg

post-13274-0-70480900-1327358385.jpg

post-13274-0-04928600-1327358540.jpg

A few photos of my layout featured somewhere in Layout Topics. Sorry I've no idea how to post a link! Definitely blue diesels are a firm favourite for me. A mixture of nostalgia and the variety of classes which were running at the time. I'm happy modelling up to about 1990 as the transitional liveries also look good and I'm a big fan of the 56s.

The layout is almost finished although there are plans to extend the fiddle yard and run a more intensive 1980-81 timetable. At the moment it's 1982-3 with the infrequent service provided by 40s, Peaks and 47s. I'm probably not alone in waiting for Farish to produce a re-tooled Class 25 to follow the 24.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Although the odd modern liveried unit and some Spanish stock sometimes get a run out on my layout, it is predomently BR Blue.

There is no scenery as yet but hopefully when I get around to doing it, it will place the layout in the late 70s early 80s period.

Here are a couple of videos of some of the stock.

BR Blue movie 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhsvr1-WV4g

BR Blue movie 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtVsSQz3jx4

The Portland Grove thread can be found here

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Please add to your burgeoning list

'HAZELBANK' erstwhile Crawford Bridge which is being rebuilt as a 'Waverley Route that never closed' layout in the 1976-84 era.

The layout is now DCC fitted and all stock is sound fitted. Resignalling work commences soon and new structures of a less Caley appearance will replace the signal box etc.

The layouts first (new guise) outing will be at Ayr Show in September and available for 'weddings, barmitzvahs and 21st partys' thereafter!!

post-657-0-15678100-1335800756_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-80209800-1335800769_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-97789000-1335800783_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...