Liverpool Lime Street (2mm Finescale)

Weekday Cross

• RMweb Gold

I'd have been voting for this one - the sheer amount of effort and skill, plus the incredible detail you've managed to fit into such a restricted area - very, very impressed and sorry to see you pull out.

Please do let us know how you get on with this, even if it becomes part of a larger layout - it deserves a wide audience !

Stu

• RMweb Gold

:O :o that's a shock...

as above, sorry to hear that you are withdrawing...so much achieved and high quality modelling in such a small space.

I do hope once your work commitments are finished, we will get to see more of this layout...and many more of your modelling projects.

Guest Natalie Graham

That's a shame. I will have to find another challenge entry to vote for now. I am sure your cutomers for whatever it is you do would be understanding and willing to wait a couple of months if you explained it to them. ;)

It sounds to me from your explanation that you have made a sensible decision. Taking time to finish the model that you want to create to a standard you want will often prevent meeting the deadlines. I learned this from experience and didn't get nearly as far as you. Making short cuts is something that you can regret forever. The challenge has served it's purpose in that you have produced something that you wouldn't have otherwise. I also understand external pressure well. Without going in to details this year has been a massive dip on the rollercoaster of life, and we're not out of it yet. Deadlines in a hobby help to motivate but, in my opinion, should not be restrictive.

I sincerely hope that your modelling does not return to being a private affair. I would very much like to be able to follow progress on this at whatever pace it advances at. Maybe it will appear at an event in the future and I will see it in person? Again, I hope so. The events officer is always after layouts and display items for the friendly get togethers (AGM and Expo).

I'm sorry you have made this decision as I was following your work with real interest.

Seems ironic to me - normally deadlines are the only reason I ever finish anything - I see Halifax on 24/25 Sept looming up, so I'm working feverishly on stock for Humber Dock. With you the deadline has enabled you to start but not finish! Like your other readers I do hope you resume work on Lime Street later and let us know how you are getting on.

Very best wishes,

Ian

• RMweb Premium

What a shame about your work commitments as this was a real contender. This was a very interesting and very complex project, in fact, I was amazed at the amount of work and progress you managed in such a short time. I hope that you complete the project on a different thread in the not too distant future as I very much enjoyed your updates.

Best wishes

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

This is the first time I have logged into RMWeb for almost a month now. I was staggered to see that the viewing figures are over the 12,000 mark - and that is despite there being no progress since the beginning of September! Apologies for deleting some of the photos - I deleted an album or two in Flickr, not realising it would affect RMWeb until it was too late.

Many thanks for all your kind comments and sentiments. In my defence though, I did say early on that I was not in it to win it - just to participate in the build.

Taking my little corner of Liverpool Lime Street to the state you last saw it in was a tremendous experience, bringing out skills and ideas I never thought I possessed. It also got me really enthusiastic about modelling for the first time in 2 or 3 years. Overall it was well worth the effort. Things must move on, however! After careful thought, I decided that the diorama had served its purpose for me. In the end, I didn't have a lot of enthusiasm for finishing it or extending it. So, my little diorama has been scrapped - after removing a few useful components, of course!

I should be able to start 2mm modelling again before the end of the month, once my temporary work overload has died down to normal levels. I have a couple of interesting ideas for new projects, but need to do a bit of test building first, to prove their viability before embarking on one or the other. I also have a less ambitious idea in reserve, just in case!

Assuming I decide to publish anything here on RMWeb, it will almost certainly be early next year before anything appears, so please don't hold your breath!

Happy modelling!

Good to hear you have some of the mojo back and 2mm modelling will return! Looking forward to seeing progress in the future as you certainly have been inspirational in modelling terms. I know what it feels like to be bogged down at work and not able to model it beats it out of you to a point I almost thought about chucking the lot in. So keep the faith and get using them back of envelopes ;)

Regards

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Assuming I decide to publish anything here on RMWeb, it will almost certainly be early next year before anything appears, so please don't hold your breath!

Happy modelling!

Too late, I'm already holding .. so don't be away too long :nono: :)

Well if you have scrapped yours WC, that means it's all right for everyone else to have a go! I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a few variations in 2, 4 or 7mm scale making an appearance in the near future!

Best wishes with the new project, whatever it turns out to be. Lets hope your test builds work out well.

Archived