What are you modelling?

Introducing myself and my model in progress. I'm [lanning to model Cockett station, Goods Branch and Yard in 2mm Finescale. Cockett was the first station West of Swansea: at the summit of Cockett Bank to the East and Gowerton Bank to the West---both 1 in 50 for most of their lengths, so pretty well everything was assisted, which is part of the attraction. The Goods yard was a bit unusual in that it was at the end of a branch about 40 chains long and at right angles (near enough) to the station. I'm going to start a blog, and I'll post a few plans when I'm sure I'm not breaching copyright on them.

Edited by MarkAustin
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

just adding a note to say that my project to model Bridgnorth Cliff Railway is still on-going. The plan is to represent the current state of the Railway together with other buildings where they impinge it.

I first approached the owners in January 2012, and got permission to freely visit, measure and photograph. So far so good! Since then I have only managed two site visits (150+ photos) and still find myself short of some vital bits of information! .... Oh, and life in general keeps getting in the way of modelling.

Add to this changes in ownership and use of adjacent property, and very limited access to some of the buildings means that photographing some walls which I propose to include is proving impossible and remain a mystery!

The prototype was built / cut through the cliff in 18 months, my original idea was that I would use 18 months as a deadline for the model, BUT 16 months later there's not a lot to show..... 

However, I do have the track laid on a sub-base, and I am in a position, this week, to cut some plywood for a baseboard, having (I think) established the outline of the area I wish to include in my model. An entry will appear in my Blog (see below) when I have some visible advancement. 

Deadlines are no longer a feature of this project!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In the advanced planning stage for Kensington Olympia circa 1980, I have track diagrams and large scale OS maps courtesy of the Loftus Road boys, http://www.worthingmrc.co.uk/mrc/layouts/.

Layout will be N scale and I plan to include the Motorail Terminal and a full set of platforms, all compressed a bit.

I'm currently doing drawings for the station building being converted from photos and some know dimensions.

Nearly 2 years on................Baseboard construction started all the frames complete, tops partially fitted and legs being constructed.

I hope to start a topic on the layout forum shortly.......hopefully won't be 2 years!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good point to introduce myself.

I'm having a go at Fairford in EM gauge, 4mm scale, no selective compression (it scales to around 20 feet plus a fiddle yard), Free-mo standard baseboards, wiring and control will be DCC. Time frame mid-1950's until the end in 1962. Still researching after 4 years, the baseboards are built, track construction started, rolling stock conversions ongoing.

I would be very interested in hearing from anybody who has modeled Fairford (in any scale) as I am compiling information on layouts based on this ex-EGR/ex-GWR/BR terminus. 

• Like 1

Good point to introduce myself.

I'm having a go at Fairford in EM gauge, 4mm scale, no selective compression (it scales to around 20 feet plus a fiddle yard), Free-mo standard baseboards, wiring and control will be DCC. Time frame mid-1950's until the end in 1962. Still researching after 4 years, the baseboards are built, track construction started, rolling stock conversions ongoing.

I would be very interested in hearing from anybody who has modeled Fairford (in any scale) as I am compiling information on layouts based on this ex-EGR/ex-GWR/BR terminus.

Along GWR lines Oxford to Cardiff DVD has a good bit on the Fairford branch

Thanks Steve, I'll look out for it, only issue is that it will probably be in PAL, not NTSC format (never the same color). And not to be shipped to North America because of copyright issues. I've plenty of photo's of the station, only a few of the engine shed, none showing the interior of same. Selective extrapolation (guesswork) may be called for.

Hi being DVD it would be region 1 for the states and not region 2 for the UK. The DVD is from B&R videos and I'm sure they do them for the states.

I've bought DVDs of American prototypes off them also. They have web site so it might be worth sending them an email.

• 1 year later...

I'm in the planning stages of n gauge model of Plymouth station in the mid - eighties. The loft gives me a 14' run on one wall with 10' another 14' on the back wall and another 10'. It should allow the back wall to give me an accurate version of Dawlish as well. Ambitious but a lifetime project

• Like 1

Only just discovered this thread!

I model in both 16mm/ft (32mmm narrow gauge) outdoor live steam, plus 00 indoor, 3rd rail Southern Region blue period.

When in England, over about five years, I built a raised (2ft high by two to three ft wide) brick flower bed about 30ft by 20ft into which was laid a continuous circuit based largely on the Corris Railway. I did not have the room to fully recreate Corris station. The whole lot was ripped up when we moved to France, where I have 80ft by 50ft available and will recreate Corris station and a number of other halts on the line. However, work on the foundations have been delayed by flood prevention works, just like the real thing, but I will get started soon.

Indoors, I have a barn loft of about 30ft x 15ft which is being cleared of many years of rubbish. Following lining, power supplies and so forth later this year/early next, I will start to build a layout based on Queenborough, Kent, one of the stations I helped run in my first BR management role in the early 80's. It had a surprising variety of freight on the branch and I will have to pretend that Ridham Dock was east of Queenborough to exploit it all. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just adding final details to Parkend in the Forest of Dean. Everything on the layout existed but not all at the same time. Using my own photos taken on visits, track plans at various dates, books, and residents memories I have modelled Parkend retaining all the best bits between 1878 and 1965 depending on what appealed to me. So a newsagents shop demolished in 1930 still stands rather than a 1950s house that replaced it for instance.

• 1 month later...

I am modelling Foxfield Junction, Furness Railway, as it was in 1912. I aim to add Woodland, a delightful rural station on the branch to Coniston and, hopefully, Green \Road on the main line.The track is to EM standards and will use DCC sound, unless I switch it to Dead Rail, which tempts me strongly. It occupies my garage, so gets a bit cold in winter! As a one man band, I have turned to technology to help me and have had 3 locos made by 3D printing and have made my coach sides in acetate or card digitally drawn and printed.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm modelling the Maryport & Carlisle 'Bolton Loop'  c.1908 in EM with a focus on Mealsgate station (8' x 2') with an extension to High Blaithwaite (4' x 1'), the  latter being a real-life  'inglenook'. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm building Hatch station on the Chard Branch line. It's been on the go for almost four years, but is soon 'finished' My original plan was to join it to a model of Chard junction, I'm trying to decide whether to push on with this or do something else

Well after a long spell off here im back and hoping to be on here more,

My current layout is in its infancy and is a model of Seahouses station on the end of the North Sunderland Railway,  modeled as it was befor closure in 1950s. 

So in all,  Private railway on the BR Eastern region in 1950s

Mark

• Like 1

Hi

I am modelling Haymarket 64B motive power depot in Edinburgh.

The period I am modelling is 1957-1961, its a long term project that is becoming even longer currently due to a lack of space.

At the present time it's preventing me producing the 17'-0" overall length x 4'-0" area that's required to model the depot at 4mm scale.

I propose to build the layout on nine 4'-0" x 2'-0"baseboards all fixed together, so due to current restrictions I will produce the first Four this area will house the main shed building plus most of the other main structures in the depot.

Regards

David 

Edited by landscapes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Five years in our present home and I've only stumbled across this section tonight  :scratchhead: ......I am modelling as far away from most places as it gets - Thurso in the fifties in OO, along with Helmsdale, a bit further south, and feature the stock around at the time although a bit of "what if" has been applied with some HR locos lingering on in BR livery as well. They have their own thread in the layout section and can be reached via the links in my signature.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Like many of you, I find it fascinating and challenging to model a real location, in my case Arbroath, between Dundee and Aberdeen on the northern part of the ECML.

Due to the variety of stock running at that time, I've chosen the 1955/65 period to portray, which gives lots of scope for late steam/early diesel working, plus loads of goods traffic and passenger, sleeper and parcels trains, both local and long distance.

Having chosen a real location, I'm bound by what was/is actually there, but that stops me being tempted by the many wonderful models currently available, which, even with modellers' licence would never have been near Arbroath.........

The drawback is that virtually everything has to be scratchbuilt, but it makes for a unique layout.

I do have a thread at rmweb arbroath which shows progress "as it happens," with pics of the latest buildings and locos/stock as they come off the production line.

Pic below shows the North Signal box and footbridge with an ex NBR C16 unusually doing a spot of shunting, as they spent most of their time on local Dundee to Arbroath passenger services.

post-21954-0-88534800-1452596651_thumb.jpg

Lots of local character!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Although this thread seems to have gone a little cold, I thought I should add my project - Barnstaple Junction (North Devon), SR & GWR (some), mid-1930s, EM

The move to a new (to us) house has provided a loft I can stand up in. Having started the boarding out and adding insulation etc. this time last year, it is now finished - a space of about 19 feet by 16 feet.

With the help of the Treasurer at my club (SHMRC), the layout is being transferred into Templot. There are compromises on lengths and curves, but it will be recognisable. I hope to exhibit, so the plan is to replace the curves necessary to keep the layout within the rood space with straight sections for public viewing. It will be lots of work, but the operational interest in such a place as Barnstaple is worth it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started working on a scale model of the Foxlow Junction signal box because my late grandad worked in there just before the end of steam. I'm not sure if I want to make a layout of the whole junction because time isn't really in my favour at the moment.

And tips or advice would be really appreciated!

Hmm

Well, I've got more than one interest on the simmer at the moment:

The 'master plan' is Tilbury Riverside to Barking on the LTS in NSE era

The more realistic side to me however is demanding a junction with some sidings to practice Templot and hand built EM before embarking on the big 'un

Current thoughts with Gaer Junction or somewhere down Avonmouth in sweaty BR blue because some people won't stop leading me astray with all their posting photos of West Country freight workings of the era or snippets of TOPS documents and Conditional and Sectional WTTs and appendices with loads of trip workings and siding shunts to reincarnate.

Sigh, the joys of the interweb!

Paragon

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ludgershall

Change for Tidworth

Or thats what it will say on the station signs. GWR 1940, although Hopefully I'll able to push the date back towards MSWJR 1923 when i want .

http://swindonsotherrailway.co.uk/ds24a.jpg,

http://swindonsotherrailway.co.uk/ds23.jpg

Due to various delays, construction came to a halt for quite a while, though it's about to restart, the biggest problem at the moment is I've run out of room in the shed for all the stuff required to build the layout.

The delays

A, SWMBO has moved into her end of the shed already ( where the track just does a loop round and down the other side of the shed) ( it's set up as an art studio)

B, A death in the family

C, Too much other stuff to do.

D, I partly rebuilt the mobile home

E There is an acre and a half of Garden Jungle out there to keep under control.

F, There is no where to store the wood and materials required to build the last bit of the layout or finish lining that end of the shed, because the rest of the shed is already occupied by the layout and SWMBO..

At the moment we are discussing another shed (10X8) to use as a storeroom for the wood until the main shed is finish, then it will become a  Hobbies storeroom / messy hobbies area eg Spray booth / stained glass cutting area

Oh, the layout will be 54ft by up to 14ft wide plus a garden loop.

In order to get some more layout work done, Ive decided to first build the Collingbourne station, which is on the return loop, and is designed to be removable, so I can show it or take it down to the MRC. I had hoped to start that a couple of months back but more delays...

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just discovered this too!

I'm currently modelling Burton on Trent station in N2 set in the period 1988 to 1993. overall layout will be circa 9ft x 6ft including continuous loop fiddle yard at the back.

post-6894-0-74427500-1493703934_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-74770400-1494144093_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-79718600-1488650844_thumb.jpg

I also have a version of Millers Dale as if it remained open in the 80s

post-6894-0-19016200-1391639903_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-62912500-1391639941_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-10430900-1390053926_thumb.jpg

and a future plan to do Stafford again in the early 90s, all in N2 scale.

• Like 8

Just discovered this too!,     Im building Malvern road east in oo, mostly just measuring the old site,and brick counting,( the looks people give you) Then im drawing it all out before i start,

Have made a start on the signal box build,ill put some pictures up of it when i get round to taking some.