N Gauge Society exhibition and AGM

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just a reminder that all are welcome at the N Gauge Society's exhibition today (Sat 28th May) at St Ives Corn Exchange, St Ives, CAMBS from 1000-1400. The NGS AGM (members only) starts at 1430.

During set up last night I noticed that Farish have factory painted samples of their Class 101 DMU, Class 03 loco and Metalair PCA on display, along with new tooling for the forthcoming BG and RMB Mk 1s. They also have two first EPs of all-new models to reveal.

Similarly, Dapol will have test shots of two of their new items on show for the first time.

There are 8 N Gauge layouts including Horseley Fields, the new exhibition layout being built by the Northants and Cambs area group, who are hosting this year's event.

post-420-0-86483900-1306562694_thumb.jpg

DRS Class 66s hurry a nuclear flask train through Horseley Fields.

Traders include Trains 4 U, County Rolling Stock, BH Enterprises and Electra graphics.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hope you (or someone) can post some pictures or information on those all-new items. As a member of the society I was intending to travel from Newcastle to this event but due to the overhead lines being down south of Grantham got no further than Retford, eventually ending up back at Newcastle via Sheffield.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

Thanks to all who attended this year's N Gauge Society AGM. Some interesting news and new products unveiled by the manufacturers, and news from the NGS too.

Bachmann were showing first sample mouldings two all-new EMUs - the 4-CEP and class 350 Desiro. Behind the 4-CEP the first shot of the Mk1 RMB catering car can be seen, along with a painted sample of the Metalair PCA (which looked superb!)

post-420-0-19752600-1306602594_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-42368100-1306602627_thumb.jpg

Not to be outdone, Dapol also revealed two all-new items: the Class 26 diesel, and Class 121/122 "bubble" diesel units.

post-420-0-82687300-1306602663_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the photographs; they were taken in a dingy hall with no tripod...!

As far as the NGS is concerned, the Committee confirmed that there will be another RTR product next year, following on from the Stove R, Snowplough and Queen Mary brake van. This model will of course be released during the NGS's 45th anniversary year, and will mark a logical progression to the NGS's range.

General Secretary Ray Hanson also annouced that this would be his last year in the post, and that he hoped to hand over to someone new in 12 months time.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ben - Good to see those new products - having peordered the 101 / 26 and Bubble, I guess they must be due soonish? Any shots of the Bubble car / did it look the business?...

It was a good show,

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of attendees, given the small town location.

The quality of layouts was excellent and it was great to see the event supported by Bachmann and Dapol (Graham Hubbard and "Dapol" Dave Jones present respectively)

The Farish 101s 4CEP and 350 look fantastic, I'm really looking forward to seeing them arrive later in the year.

For a four hour show, I thought it was great! trade was brisk and added a good day at the shop.

It's just unfortunate that the proprietor of the shop across the road that sells a little Hornby and Peco (In amongst the primarily dolls house based business) felt it was appropriate to barge in and remonstrate with the organiser for not being invited to the show.

A lesson in how not to appeal to show organisers...

BIG thanks to the N gauge society for the invitation to attend, and I hope that we may be asked again when it comes back to this part of the country.

It's just unfortunate that the proprietor of the shop across the road that sells a little Hornby and Peco (In amongst the primarily dolls house based business) felt it was appropriate to barge in and remonstrate with the organiser for not being invited to the show.

A lesson in how not to appeal to show organisers...

I missed that one and I was opposite you with Adam Warr (Electra Railway Graphics).

It was a very good little show, and as you said, well attended. They were queing up before 9:30.

Great show. Lots of new goodies on display;

Farish;

* 4 CEP class 411 (new moulding in undercoat grey)

* Desiro class 350 (new moulding in undercoat grey)

* Mk1 BG (new moulding in undercoat grey)

* Mk1 buffet/restaurant (new moulding in undercoat grey)

* MK1 BSK? (new moulding in undercoat grey)

* Class 101 (finished painted)

* Class 03 (finished painted)

* Some wagons in various states of readiness

Dapol;

* Class 26 (new moulding in black plastic)

* Class 121 bubble car (new moulding in black plastic)

* Hall kettle (body finished painted)

* HST125 (examples of finished intercity livery; blue/grey and Virgin available to buy)

NGS;

* Stove R (in Pullman livery)

* Queen Mary brake (new moulding in grey undercoat)

A good range of traders and some interesting layouts. The only downside was some rather dark locations particularly for both Farish and Dapol for showing the new models which made it almost impossible to take photos even with a tripod. It highlights the need for both layotus and traders to ensure they bring/have good lighting.

Must dash - it's half time in the footie (and it's a good game).

G.

• RMweb Gold

Agree that it was a very good show. Many thanks to all who came by the stand for a chat.

I was very taken with the Express parcels Class 101 on the Farish stand - as it consists of two DMBS cars both will be motorised. It's cheaper to sell them this way instead of tooling up an unpowered chassis.

The N Gauge Society "ready-to-plant" model of the Corn Exchange is delightful but raised worrying issues. If the same show is going on in the model building, would it go on repeating down to the quantum level?

Dapol were selling their new pantographs for £6.00 a pair, consisting of a Stone Faively and Brecknall Willis High-Speed pan. These had sold out by the end of the show, indicating there must be a demand for AC traction in N, after all. I've fitted a set to a Dapol 86 and Farish 91 and they look good, though the high-speed pan is a bit on the big side. Improvement on the old GF lump, anyway yes.gif

Gutted I couldn't make it down today but unfortunately work has to come first. Hey, at least it let's me buy some of these lovely items that are coming our way.

Congratulations to the NGS on what sounds like a complete success and maybe I'll get to the next one.

Tom N.

Here's a few pics from the day but apologies for the poor quality; it was very difficult photoing conditions (very dark, behind dirty, scratched and dusty glass/perspex, etc.,);

post-33-0-55379300-1306650566_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-73910700-1306650589_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-43242800-1306650614_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-74663500-1306650641_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-14848200-1306650669_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-55736800-1306650708_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-00376000-1306650732_thumb.jpg

G.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the photos Ben & Grahame! Some really nice looking models on the way :yes:

I'm impressed at the short space of time it's taken from announcement to EP stage for a lot of the new Farish range. I didn't expect to be seeing the 350 for a good few months yet. A sign that we've moved on from the days of announce everything, produce nothing? ;)

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

I'm impressed at the short space of time it's taken from announcement to EP stage for a lot of the new Farish range. I didn't expect to be seeing the 350 for a good few months yet. A sign that we've moved on from the days of announce everything, produce nothing? ;)

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Yes, interesting point.

Of course, in the days of Poole/Farish nothing was announced until it was virtually ready to be shipped to dealers. Then, in the first flush of enthusiasm when they took over the brand, Bachmann announced all sorts of models that seemed to take an eternity to come through.

Then, possibly stung by criticism (and perhaps in reaction to a rival manufacturer's "delivering on our promises.." strapline!) they declared that they would announce nothing until test shots were ready (Class 08, Class 24.) Then, at this year's trade show, they announced models that were not at test stage but that they were confident were not far away (4 CEP, Class 350) and that is how it's proved to be.

I suspect that this is all a function of them learning how long their own production cycles are; and deciding when to time announcements to maximise on the positives (Wow! Shiny New Toy! Me Want!) and minimise the negatives (I'm bored of waiting! Where Is The Toy You Promised Me? Sulk!) when it comes to their relationship with their customers.

Having said that, and even having identified the stages we've been through so far, I still think that manufacturers' PR strategies, and indeed the N Gauge market as a whole, are still in something of a transitional phase.

cheers

Ben A.

the models are great. That part of the site is very poor. I would have liked a little bit of info of what you are looking at on each of the pictures and the white bar that appears, blocks part of the subject on some of the pictures.

I only hope that some of my upcoming projects look that good.

Alistair

Some excellent models entered this year from the look of that gallery.

It does, however, reinforce a growing concern I have about the NGS, and I noted in the last issue there was an editorial confirming my view (well, in one of the areas at least) that the society is becoming dangerously reliant on specific individuals with not much 'new blood' coming through.

The editorial was concerned specifically with committee and Journal involvement, but I have to say when you look at the winners of the model making competition, although superb efforts that rightly deserve the prizes, it's the same few names winning across many of the classes, year in year out.

I don't mean this as a criticism of those individuals, far from it, but with 5000 members, my worry is everyone is paying their membership, but not actually getting involved.

I'm guilty of the same of late, it has been a couple of years since I wrote anything for the Journal, and I don't enter the competition either. Why? Mainly due to the fact the AGMs are always held in the north Midlands (too long a drive from home), and I don't really fancy posting an entry instead.

They Journal is also showing signs of needing a rescue - I well remember the very grateful response I had from the editor when I submitted my first article, there were not many people sending anything in at that time, and if I am being honest, it shows. The quality of the articles in the Journal are rarely inspiring, and this issue has blurred photos in one article, and another cover spread of Kinlet Wharf (a favourite of mine, but wasn't there anything in the actual Journal worthy of putting on the cover?).

I am not criticising the Journal team as they are reliant on members' submissions, but given the quality of the N gauge modelling going on here on RMWeb, it would be great to see more of the society members sending in articles and photos to the Journal. With such a large membership, and the great level of both quality and interest you see at the N gauge show each year, the society needs to get more people involved, especially with the Journal and model making competition, as when this small group of individuals stops modelling...who replaces them?

David

It does, however, reinforce a growing concern I have about the NGS, and I noted in the last issue there was an editorial confirming my view (well, in one of the areas at least) that the society is becoming dangerously reliant on specific individuals with not much 'new blood' coming through.

This is always difficult in any society. The members who are most able to contribute are usually the older ones who have fewer demands on their time. I enjoy modelling but between work and looking after a young family, I am lucky if I get a couple of hours a week to do it.

I took the plunge and entered the AMMC this year even though I could not attend in person. I posted my entry via special delivery and was pleased when it was returned the same way and packed as carefully as I had done it on the way out.

I will try to write an article for the journal on how I constructed my entry. The challenge of course is that it will eat even further into my scarce free time. All hobbyists struggle to square this perennial circle.

Perhaps the NGS foray into commissioned member's only models is part of an attempt by the society to attract new members - the Stove was a cracking model and I suppose I should really join myself.

The society is probably suffering because of the hiatus on N gauge models from when Farish Poole went to pot to when Bachmann were able to start releasing new models. With everything that is currently going on at 2mm scale I think there is a real future now for British N whereas 10 years ago it could have gone to the wall, a refreshed website, the new kits and the commissioned RTR I hope will help the society refresh it's demographic.

Archived