Waverley Route Structures

'CHARD

Moving east, and mashing through the site of Ravenswood Jct with all the finesse of a generic eighties road enhancement scheme, brings us to the surviving portion of embankment as the line curves south , to be brutally reintersected at Monksford, where the A68 overbridge has, according to RCAHMS, been:

"Demolished and road re-aligned. About 100m SE of the former position of the bridge, on the E side of the trackbed is a concrete sand bin."

A wonderful detail from the RCAHMS groundwork squad. Never having walked this stretch but having cursed the Closerati repeatedly every time I've applied power away from that traffic island, it always strikes me how total the line's obliteration seems as one traverses the Selkirk Jct to St Boswells leg. The two Darnick finds have cheered me considerably after what Philistinism has been wrought on this rare high(er) speed stretch of the Waverley Route....

• 2 months later...
Guest tony graham
A bit of movement this evening at bridge 261 at Kingmoor , an Eddie Stobart driver tried to take his 14ft 3in+ trailer under the 13ft 9in bridge :laugh_mini2: :lol: with the usual result - it won't go under . Police on the scene as i passed at 5pm together with others who were inspecting the bridge & trailer . Stewart .

I have often witnessed and heard the results of wagons hitting this bridge while they are going to the wood yard, it would help a great deal if they opened the last section of the new bypass out of Kingmoor Park.

Obviously drivers cant read warning signs or just think they dont apply to their over sized trailer!

• 1 month later...
Guest tony graham

Took this one while out for a bike ride, I see it most days while running up and down the west coast main line. Great looking bridge, just a shame it's in such a state....

P1010912.jpg

Edited by tony graham
  • Like 2

Guest Max Stafford

I've heard that name used, Matt. Usually though it's been in relation to 261. This bridge here is commonly referred to as the Waverley Bridge these days, but the monickers appear interchangeable between the two structures.

Anyway, NR say they'd be happy to maintain the bridge as a public right of way if the City Council put their hands in their pockets and fit new railings.

That's proving to be the awkward part...

Dave.

Guest tony graham

I've heard that name used, Matt. Usually though it's been in relation to 261. This bridge here is commonly referred to as the Waverley Bridge these days, but the monickers appear interchangeable between the two structures.

Anyway, NR say they'd be happy to maintain the bridge as a public right of way if the City Council put their hands in their pockets and fit new railings.

That's proving to be the awkward part...

Dave.

Talking about 261, it almost got taken out again by one of the wagons going to the wood yard today. Driver took it slow and had to reverse back along the road towards town, turned round and went another route... Not the first time I've seen trucks almost hit it...

Guest Max Stafford

Happens on a daily basis these days. Probably something to do with a quarter mile of perfectly serviceable new road that they refuse point blank to open for traffic...!

Dave.

• A minor road passes over the line near to the Arthuret Church, as recorded by Dave and Abi, and labelled clearly BRB ETC 253 on the parapet
  • A short distance south is a private farm access which I assume had a user-worked occupation crossing at one time, then
  • There's a culvert east of Arthuret Road which appears to be extant - could this be 254?
  • Next we reach Fauldmoor L/C which appears to have a brick and conrete-built hut and its original keeper's cottage intact and in a delightful state of upkeep
  • The footpath/ fisherman's span over the abutments of the Lyne Viaduct is presumably the former bridge 255
  • Lyneside (station) L/C switch room and spacious station house every inch a des-res
  • A substantial culvert south of here may be bridge 256
  • A private farm access intersects on its way west from the A7, another user-worked crossing maybe
  • A minor road crosses bridge 257 (no BRB ETC markings visible - Dave did you definitely record this as 258, because...)
  • A substantial breach in the P-way yawns where it's bisected by a fulsome tributary of the Lyne flowing west, at what was bridge 258 I'd reckon
  • Harker - still appeared in the W/T/T in 1968 - when it was presided over by bridge 259 as today

This was Bridge 255 in 1969.

roygraham

post-13258-0-86087300-1319731852_thumb.jpg

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 2

Freshly ballasted too, by the look of it. Given the curve, where is this one, Roy?

Freshly ballasted too, by the look of it. Given the curve, where is this one, Roy?

It's at Newtown of Rockcliffe. I can bore you all to death forever with these.

roygraham

Guest Max Stafford

post-13258-0-37684200-1319733675_thumb.jpgThis was the real Bridge 258.

roygraham

Checking back in my photos, I did record this as 258, the link being the PWay bothy seen to the immediate north.

Lovely B&W pics by the way Roy. Did you get one of Fauldmoor Crossing perchance?

Dave.

post-6676-0-88755000-1319738773.jpg

Yes, me :angel: Roy, I have to say a huge and unrestrained THANK YOU for posting these, they are right up there with the best record shots we've seen!

That ticks another box, as it's during the single-line period too.

How forlorn does the remaining up line look, it's end peeking out from the portal....