Waverley Route Structures

'CHARD

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst looking on RCAHMS for pictures of the A68 overbridge near Leaderfoot I found this gem instead, hidden in plain view a few yards north of the parallel A6091 near Back Road, with pedestrian only Hasseldean Road serving time as a footpath.

http://canmoremapping.rcahms.gov.uk/index.php?action=do_details&cache_name=c2l0ZW5hbWUsd2F2ZXJsZXkgbGluZSBicmlkZ2UgbmV3c3RlYWRfc29ydHR5cCxzZWFyY2hSZWxldmVuY2Vfc29ydG9yZCxkZXNjX3NlYXJjaHR5cGUsc2ltcGxl&set=0&list_z=0&numlink=284046

Not sure if it's the underbridge as in a recent WRHA Mystery Location?

mystery-site-1-25-09-11.jpg?w=640

It's off the site now, along with the comments/answers, but looks like it could be the one as it's at Newstead (although there is a subway at each side of Newstead!)

Other Mystery Locations appear here as a teaser from time to time: http://waverleyrouteha.wordpress.com/mystery-locations-2/

Guest Max Stafford

Another possibility is the Liddel crossing just south of The Holm. Length would be about right although the height has me uncertain.

Riddings is taller and longer and the parapet on the example above looks like it's had some addition in concrete.

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford

Guest Max Stafford

In that case, my eyes are turning towards the central part of the route, south of Gala, but north of Hawick.

Assuming of course that the bridge is on the mainline and not on a branch.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

That concrete parapet is interesting, I'm going to have to scan my books for a glimpse I think!

Incidentally, are there any good photos of the 'Holm viaduct? The only one I've seen is in the Bradford-Barton book with 60507 crossing in 1958.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks Roy. PM coming.

My last throw of the dice on this one. I'm not sure about the skew on the piers which appears to rule out Stobs. Is it Lynwood? I'm pretty sure that particular viaduct curves a little.

Dave.

Thanks Roy. PM coming.

My last throw of the dice on this one. I'm not sure about the skew on the piers which appears to rule out Stobs. Is it Lynwood? I'm pretty sure that particular viaduct curves a little.

Dave.

PM=?

Not Lynwood either I'm afraid. It is in fact Bridge 146 'Belses Mill Viaduct'.

roygraham

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Cheers Roy. I didn't realise there was a viaduct around Belses, but I suppose my guess of the central section wasn't too bad!

PM = Personal Message; check your in-box! :)

Dave.

Not sure what you're looking at Roy, you should have "Messenger" (a little envelope), "Notifications" (little square with a man inside), Your profile (it should say "Roygraham" and have a down arrow on the right), then "Sign Out".

You can also find your personal messenger by clicking the arrow that's next to your profile name and selecting it from the menu.

Not sure what you're looking at Roy, you should have "Messenger" (a little envelope), "Notifications" (little square with a man inside), Your profile (it should say "Roygraham" and have a down arrow on the right), then "Sign Out".

You can also find your personal messenger by clicking the arrow that's next to your profile name and selecting it from the menu.

Sorted thanks Matt. No idea how but I did it.

roygraham

Not often photographed but worth a pic.

roygraham

Not been able to get on line all day, and I just reached this beauty! If not often photographed means what I think it might, this is indeed a most-wanted of mine. Can't remember the name just now, but is it near Belses farm and that creamery siding? I've seen that on Google Earth, from memory it's a leftward curve running towards Edinburgh. Any more of that, Roy?