'The Southern Way'

Ceptic

Hi All.

'The Southern Way'. http://www.noodlebooks.co.uk

Not quite a monthly magazine, more of a quarterly periodical.

It rarely gets a mention within this forum, and, what I'm asking, is... How many of us regularly buy it ?

Over the past few years, I've only bought it when the topics within are of an interest.

I used to do this when deciding what monthly modelling mag. to go for.

I still do, when perusing Locomotives Illustrated, Backtrack, Steamdays, BRM and MRJ. althogh I habitually pick up the main mags., RM, MR and HM, without an inside glance, and, now, I find myself doing the same with TSW, althogh the price is heftier.

Always a good read, with plenty of (many previously unpublished) photos.

As you can gather,.. I'm hooked

P.S.

This isn't a plug, other than a recommendation from an avid reader..

Regards

Hi All.

'The Southern Way'. http://www.noodlebooks.co.uk

Over the past few years, I've only bought it when the topics within are of an interest.

I used to do this when deciding what monthly modelling mag. to go for.

Regards

I have got 3 of them, for the same reason, (plus they were back copies, reduced).

Agree they are a great read, some articles very detailed so I need to concentrate when reading.

The pics include some great shots concentrating on things that only form the background in other articles,

like platform and yard furniture, and p way details.

Well worth keeping a lookout for I would say.

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Like Rod I have them all including the specials (as well as contirbuting to a couple!)

What I like most about about them is the amount of totally new material and previously unpublished photographs. I always find them a facinating read and quite often articles on many of the more unusual aspects of the workings of the Southern Railway.

I've bought every edition of the main publication from the start, but not the 'Specials'.

In addition to comments already made, another aspect of the publication I like are the size of images, many half-page or full-page, allowing for better scrutiny of details (as well as appreciating the picture as a whole of course).

• RMweb Gold

I've often been tempted, but it doesnt appear to be in any of our local outlets, so I'm reluctant to buy an issue without having a glance through it to see if its worth me buying it.

Hi DIW, seems like you might be the only one!

I bought one from Ebay about two years ago and was hooked, I've got most of them now, I managed to get some back issues in the UK when there in December, otherwise I have a couple of book dealers who discount and they have a very service.

I agree, as a SR modeller of many years I find every issue fascinating and have learnt a lot from TSW, even how the Push Pull apparatus was supposed to work, but as my stepfather a retired driver who joined the Southern in 1947 says, the driver sat up the front and moved the levers and the fireman drove the engine!

Yes, a very good read, which can be returned to time and again.

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

i had a subscription but it lapsed when my dark side interest took over. Will probably catch up again one day. My only wish would be that it covered more modern periods as well - rather like GWRJ i find the "end of steam ish" cut off annoying - my own memories are of growing up in the 70s and 80s which were fascinating in their own right.

I was about to post that discounted copies can often be found at British Bookshops outlets (or at least the one in the Liberty Centre, Romford), but then I notice that the stores are closing or reopening under the WH Smith banner - obviously I haven't been there for a couple of months.

Might still be worth keeping an eye open for.

• 1 year later...

I was pointed towards this thread as I'm looking for some prototype details for LSWR turnouts.

I've been told these are probably different to the REA specifications for the Southern grouping era. I've had a look through the index available on the noodle books website but nothing stands out as being appropriate.

If anyone has any information in this regard I would be most grateful.

Ray.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

The latest edition of this excellent 'magazine' - No 27 is out and has a very comprehensive article on the 2BIL by John Atkinson/Colin Watts. There are tables of livery changes, lots of photographs and notes on individual units.There is also a focus on the Fawley branch and part 6 of the series on the Southern from Inception to Nationalisation. Nice to see some photographs of Southern Electrics.

Godfrey

• 1 year later...

Hi, I've spent the last couple of months collecting a complete set of the Southern way.

Except, I can't get hold of a copy of issue 3

I don't suppose anybody on here has a copy they would be willing to sell me.

Happy to pay with Paypal (covering charges) or cheque.

Many thanks,

Jim Hearne

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, I've spent the last couple of months collecting a complete set of the Southern way.

Except, I can't get hold of a copy of issue 3

I don't suppose anybody on here has a copy they would be willing to sell me.

Happy to pay with Paypal (covering charges) or cheque.

Many thanks,

Jim Hearne

Hi Jim, I'm afraid I don't have a copy - but if you're really disparate there are copies available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Southern-Way-Issue-No/dp/1906419035/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442595972&sr=8-1&keywords=the+southern+way+3

Starting at £80.13  !!!! :O

Thank you, i had seen them on there but I'm not that desperate.

I got about half of mine for £4.50 an issue from a online book seller found via google, and the rest have paid up to about £10 a copy from Ebay and Amazon.

I wonder why the Amazon sellers think issue 3 is worth that much, one sold on an auction on ebay earlier in the year for a normal price, i just wasn't looking for them then.

Anybody know if there is a reason issue 3 is rare ?

Jim

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am aware that Noodle Books is now under the Creacy Publishing banner and recently managed to complete my set filling in the gaps with scours of Ebay for cheap issues.  However the Creacy website mentions nothing about any issues past the last new one No. 36.  The last few issues have been advertised on their website well in advance and 37 is supposed to be due in January but no mention.

Have they stopped publishing it?

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just tried ordering the latest issue of The Southern Way (number 39) plus another book on Creacy's website but as soon as you go to a secure area I keep getting a rude message about security certificates.  Is it just me or has their website gone pear shaped?

It's not just you, i've just had the same thing.

Chrome is complaining the Creacy web site is not secure.

Jim

I have just tried ordering the latest issue of The Southern Way (number 39) plus another book on Creacy's website but as soon as you go to a secure area I keep getting a rude message about security certificates.  Is it just me or has their website gone pear shaped?

• RMweb Gold

I have been buying the regular issues since the beginning but only those specials that include subjects of personal interest.

The latest issue I have is #38 but I think the next one is about. A friend who gets his by subscription told me this morning his arrived in the past couple of days.

I'll probably get it at Railwells in a couple of weeks.

John

• 3 months later...

Is there an Index for the contents somewhere as I would then be able to target relevant (to what I'm doing) Volumes?

Thanks

Phil

Not that I know of, but PM me with your email address and I can send you mine (Excel, basically a list of contents).

Archived