Japanese Prototype N Scale Desktop Layout

Sir Madog

For quite some time I was in idle gear, not doing any work on my mini-modular. Today, a friend of mine showed up with a bundle of racks and shelves, and after a couple of hours of hard work and 5 dozen words the forum administrators would not allow me to post here, the shelf for my layout is now up on the wall. The modules have all been connected - and, ta da, surprise! - they all work! It is was the first time I could run a train along all of the 8 ft. of the line - nice feeling! The best part, however, is that I discovered a way of adding another 5 - 6 ft. to the layout without getting a divorce, so there will be 8 more modules to come! (3 on the existing shelf and 5 on the extension - for those who count the numbers).

Here are some quick shots I took moments ago:

P1040043.jpg

P1040044.jpg

P1040045.jpg

Still need to add a drawer for the power pack and lighting. Maybe a backdrop will also look nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ulrich,

I've been thinking for a long time about building some modules, and the relative advantages\disadvantages of your standards and the "official" T-Trak standard. I think the T-Trak is designed too much with operation of large "meets" in mind, rather than building compact, attractive modules at home.

Quick question though - do you use the 20-100 (R249-45) curves for your corner modules? This seems to be what the Japanese site suggests (from what I can make out!)

I had bought some of the tighter 20-170 (R216-45) curves, as used in the T-Trak standard together with short straights. Thinking about it, this doesn't actually seem desirable. The curve ends up even tighter, plus the extra complexity!

Cheers

Justin

That is looking fantastic Ulrich. It is amazing what you can do with modules. I am always impressed by the level of detail you get into such a small space.

I am using 20120 curves on my modular track. I think the modules might not line up as I originally anticipated (basically the curved track is not set as far from the edge of the module). I am not particularly fussed about this though. I have ordered some track that will allow me to have a #4 turnout on one of my modules (although I may put it on two of them for operational flexibility.

My son gave me a N scale kit of the schooner Bluenose, which will eventually become part of a waterfront module.

Here are pictures of the progress I have made building it:

P1040092.jpg

P1040126.jpg

P1040127.jpg

P1040133.jpg

I have just decided to cut off part of the bottom of the hull to turn it into a waterline model.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This may be sad news to some:

For a number of reasons, I have to abandon this project. I enjoyed building the mini-modules very much and I am glad to see, that my thread has provided a source of inspiration to some. Modules and rolling stock are now up for sale, but so far, there has been little interest in them.

I hope to be able to re-join the ranks of railway modellers, but as of today, this seems to be very unlikely.

I agree with the other opinions expressed here. Many many thanks for the inspiration. Would love to say yes and buy your modules off you to help out, but I think the shipping costs down under may be a bit much... Unless you have some spare track going cheap? ;)

Thank you all for your kind words!

It really hurts me a lot not to be able to continue, but my financial situation does not allow it. My railway modelling will be restricted to designing layouts for friends, which is a rewarding, but also frustrating task. I have been into this hobby for close to 50 years and having to give it up is like losing a dear old friend.

• RMweb Premium

I too am sorry to hear your news. I have kept an eye in this thread for a long time, not just because it is Japanese themed, but because it is a well executed, innovative and attractive model.

I do hope that sometime in the future circumstances improve to allow you to restart your modelling.

• 3 weeks later...

I am struggling to stay afloat with my little layout. Giving it up is just too much for me to bear, so I give my best to keep it. Construction will continue, but at a much, much slower pace.

I have prepared a few little videos, which I´d like to share:

Enjoy!

• RMweb Gold

Great to hear you've decided to keep going, It inspired my micro branch in N too. I used up some Peco track instead but it follows the small modualr theme. You convinced me it could look good in such a narrow space. :)

Thanks for all the kind words, folks.

I am still fighting to keep it. This means I have to sell some other stuff to pay upcoming bills and may have to sell the car as well. This will be a tough one.

I prepared another video, compiling all those little clips into one:

Archived