steve fay

A few pictures for you all to see

post-5983-0-23297500-1329656611_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-59107000-1329656682_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-69710100-1329656798_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-18722700-1329656892_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-77222700-1329656968_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-63119000-1329657055_thumb.jpg

These locos will form the back bone of the Ranelagh bridge fleet.

All Canton Locos.

Please excuse the quality of the pictures. They look much better once enlarged

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 4

post-5983-0-93653500-1329830457.jpg

This will be the next loco to rejoin the Ranelagh stock list,

5043 Earl of mount Edgcumbe circa 1962/63 when allocated to Cardiff East Dock 88A. Built by Ozzy O painted by Conrad Cooper and weathered by Fred Lewis.

The only slight changes I will make will be to add the two inspection covers in front of the saftey valve bonnet and change the BR totem to one from Fox transfers.

As with all my locos she has Severn Mill name plates.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

To Bring this thread up to date Ranelagh bridge is back on, well its never really been off.

The layout was to be housed in my shed and due to unforseen circumstances this is now not possible. Ranelagh will be built at first as a diorama just the turn table area. I have just sent some pictures to Laser Craft Devon for the signal box and for the water tower.

Ranelagh will be a long term project and as I only have a few locos Im in no rush to complete the layout quickly. I would like to use all C & L track on this including the points ( im a bit upset with the quality of peco on 86F) when I get that far.

So thats it for now I will post a few pics along the way and I will let you know how I get on with Laser Craft.

Edited by steve fay

Ive had a reply from Laser Craft & the order has been placed, Only slight issue it could take 2 years for the kits as they have a very full program of commisions to under take, Well I did say this was along term project.

So a couple of questions If any one has any pictures or links to pictures then please forward them to me or post them on this thread if no copy wrights are broken as I need as many as I can get especially of the water tower and signal box ( westbourne bridge signal box)

Are C & L points the same length and radius as peco? I am using some peco templates to plan the track.

Once I have the boards built I will stick the templates down to get all the correct radius and I can then fix some track in place around the turntable area..

Hello Steve,

you maybe better off getting some templates from C&L and using 31.5mm as the track gauge through the points. The Peco points are based on the curve (6') and not the angle of the Vee 1:6, 1:7 etc. Then you also get the different lengths of the point blades 'A's and 'B's.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

Hello Steve,

you maybe better off getting some templates from C&L and using 31.5mm as the track gauge through the points. The Peco points are based on the curve (6') and not the angle of the Vee 1:6, 1:7 etc. Then you also get the different lengths of the point blades 'A's and 'B's.

OzzyO.

I gave C&L a bell this morning and the boss is in hospital, nothing serious so I will give them a bell monday and they will sort out some templates for me.

post-5983-0-88073200-1340372366_thumb.jpg

OK all I am looking for some help in determining what this plate reads.

I am guessing;

Prevention of Noise and Smoke

Enginemen are requested to do all possible to avoid smoke and noise in this yard

special attention is directed and then I am stuck. so what do you think

How do Steve,

try this, Prevention of noise and smoke

enginemen are requested to do all possible to avoid smoke and noise in this yard

special attention is directed to blowing off and using (to much) water

Hows that look,

OzzyO.

How do Steve,

try this, Prevention of noise and smoke

enginemen are requested to do all possible to avoid smoke and noise in this yard

special attention is directed to blowing off and using (to much) water

Hows that look,

OzzyO.

Blowing off and using the Injector? Cant be water mate look at the last word definatley a c before the t

A superb exercise in nostalgia as far as I am concerned. Many thanks for evoking memories of the Brittania hauled Capitals United Express from my very early childhood: Stood on the bridge at Dolphin Junction near Slough watching it thunder through before going to pick my brother up from school....

• Like 1

Hi All,

How about something along the lines of 'use of the injector' given the space there? It reads a bit better too.

I could be wrong of course...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. Ive contacted Guilplates today to put in an order for West bourne bridge signal box plates and the notice to locos to stop before going on the tuntable plate.

So a little more help please. On my many pictures of Ranelagh Bridge I can make out a plate on the side of the turntable. Im not quite sure if this is a builders plate as I would have thought that swindon built the turntable.

I could be wrong as when the stabling point was put in (1907) Swindon was still putting builders plates on there locos.

So any ideas as to what it might say

Great Western Railway

Built Swindon Works

Or something like that.

post-5983-0-43020800-1340387481_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve fay

I seem to recall reading (but can't remember where) that the turntable at Ranelagh Bridge was initially intended for use elsewhere (possibly Hereford ?) but was redirected to RB Loco Yard as a matter of urgency.

Brian R

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. Ive contacted Guilplates today to put in an order for West bourne bridge signal box plates and the notice to locos to stop before going on the tuntable plate.

So a little more help please. On my many pictures of Ranelagh Bridge I can make out a plate on the side of the turntable. Im not quite sure if this is a builders plate as I would have thought that swindon built the turntable.

I could be wrong as when the stabling point was put in (1907) Swindon was still putting builders plates on there locos.

So any ideas as to what it might say

Great Western Railway

Built Swindon Works

Or something like that.

post-5983-0-43020800-1340387481_thumb.jpg

How do Steve,

I think that it may go like this,

Great Western Railway

Swindon works.

It will be the usual thing as soon as you get the plates etched you will find out for sure and you'll be wrong.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit of photo delving reveals that there was a similar plate on the turntable at Penzance (but although clearer the pic i've found is still not clear enough to reveal the wording when using a magnifying glass) - but at least the Penzance plate was a lot cleaner so look for a pic of it.

• Like 1

Hello all,

having had a look at some other photos of G.W.R. T.T. The flat topped ones could have been made by Ransom (is that spelt correctly) Rapier Ltd. It also looks to fit in with Steve's photo. The middle line 1907, the bottom line ????????????? ????????? The works etc.

post-8920-0-80304200-1340454289_thumb.jpg

I don't know R/Rs build works.

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

having had a look at some other photos of G.W.R. T.T. The flat topped ones could have been made by Ransom (is that spelt correctly) Rapier Ltd. It also looks to fit in with Steve's photo. The middle line 1907, the bottom line ????????????? ????????? The works etc.

post-8920-0-80304200-1340454289_thumb.jpg

I don't know R/Rs build works.

OzzyO.

I reckon the top line reads 'Ransome & Rapier Ltd' and the bottom line reads 'Ipswich England'. The middle line appears to be a number or date??

A link from here might help - look at 2515/403/0333 et seq http://www.alextrack.co.uk/model_railways/newton_abbot/wiltshire_and_swindon_archives.shtml

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Alan Brackenborough has a small sign on his layout " Drivers are requested not to blow off whilst in the station" I asked if he photo reduced it, his reply was it was easier by hand. A look at the crane in the latest Gazette will show the truth of his skill. Most of us could do with a good picture to copy and print the right size. I wonder if there is a plate on the Minehead TT (ex Pwllheli).

Don

• Like 1

Not sure about the minehead turntable I didn't notice anything when I was there a few weeks ago.

Next up is the colour of the turn table. Do I go chocolate and cream or two tone grey?

All the colour pictures ive got always seem to show the inside and its to dirty to tell.

So any one have first hand experience or a picture to show either way.

Thanks again all

Hello all,

having had a look at some other photos of G.W.R. T.T. The flat topped ones could have been made by Ransom (is that spelt correctly) Rapier Ltd. ...... The middle line 1907, the bottom line ????????????? ????????? The works etc.

Not wishing to appear pedantic - but I think it's actually "Ransomes and Rapier" who, as mentioned above, were based at Ipswich.

Brian R

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not sure about the minehead turntable I didn't notice anything when I was there a few weeks ago.

Next up is the colour of the turn table. Do I go chocolate and cream or two tone grey?

All the colour pictures ive got always seem to show the inside and its to dirty to tell.

So any one have first hand experience or a picture to show either way.

Thanks again all

I go for chocolate & cream - usually seemed to be very faded as well on the ones I can remember.

• Like 1