Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks gents for your help and comments. The link in Hendreladis's post leads to some fabulous pictures..The picture of a Maclane tipper at Ynyscedwyn Colliery gives another tantalising glimpse but still not quite enough to make a reasonable model. I have emailed Alan Griffiths so hopefully something else will turn up.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Spent a few hours in the workshop this evening working on stuff for me.

First up was the new lever frame for Foxcote. I made up all the bits (from an S4 Society kit) some time ago and painted them when I had the airbrush out painting locos a few weeks ago - see my Bath Queensquare thread. I finally got round to assembling them this evening.

post-1074-0-16580200-1510270618_thumb.jpg

I do like these frames, they look good and are wonderfully tactile to use.

Next I finally bit the bullet and did something I'd been thinking about doing for a while - took a saw to the Highbury backscene to 'cut and shut' it for Foxcote which has a scenic area a foot or so longer. I'm pleased to say that it proved to be a pretty painless exercise. The landscape bit matches up remarkably well and I'm confident that a bit of filling, rubbing down and localised painting will see the lot blend in nicely.

post-1-0-41563200-1510308790.jpg

The girls don't seem to be particularly moved by these momentous events!

Jerry

Edit to say that I'm not sure why the second picture has come out sideways. If there is a kind moderator out there who knows how to flip it 90 degrees then please feel free to do so:-))

Edited by Andy Y
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Quick half hour playtime before tea! I rubbed down the joint and clamped the backscene in place. Will need extending at the left hand end and a short 'exhibition only' piece for the right hand end, otherwise it looks good.

The second picture shows that the horizon line needs to drop by around an inch to match the rest of the layout which will mean the distant hills disappear behind the batch - result!

post-1074-0-41654200-1510339620_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-09332600-1510339639_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Productive few hours earlier - horizon line lowered, left hand end extended and new bits primed ready to be blended in and painted. Need to extend the sky/backscene on the fixed part of the layout around Twinhoe bridge and make up the exhibition only, corner end/piece for the Colliery.

post-1074-0-53436900-1510521170_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-05985700-1510521203_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

......and just to give it some context, here's a couple of pictures from much earlier in the year

post-1074-0-04812600-1511367577_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-12929700-1511367638_thumb.jpg

I have a couple of good friends coming round this evening, at least one of whom knows which end of a camera to hold so I'm hoping for a couple of progress shots that are a bit better than my usual dodge snaps!!

Jerry

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some things are essential in order to cement the collieries new identity......

post-1074-0-91888000-1512580554_thumb.jpg

Only the main lettering on one side of the wagon done so far - smaller lettering and numbers, interior, couplings, weathering and removable load to go.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 13

Some things are essential in order to cement the collieries new identity......

I like the different styles of lettering.  Presumably wagons from different orders (or different builders)?  It wasn't unusual to see this.

Jim

I like the different styles of lettering.  Presumably wagons from different orders (or different builders)?  It wasn't unusual to see this.

Indeed, but the individual wagon numbers should reflect the different build batches in that case. If, however, the different painting styles were intended to reflect a change in "house style" (perhaps as a result of a change of ownership), wagons with the imagined older livery (and single-sided brakes) should be more heavily weathered.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, but the individual wagon numbers should reflect the different build batches in that case. If, however, the different painting styles were intended to reflect a change in "house style" (perhaps as a result of a change of ownership), wagons with the imagined older livery (and single-sided brakes) should be more heavily weathered.

The numbers, like the livery, will be purely fictitious and, in 2mm scale, are likely to amount to little more than suitably located dots and dashes - just like many of my previous wagons.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jim

Thanks Jim, that was the intention. The wagons are alll broadly similar but vary in having slightly different shaped ends, brakegear etc being fictitious I didn't get too hung about about copying the prototype, I just wanted the subtle variety you see in pictures of the period due to slightly different builders, build dates, painters etc

Jerry

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks gents for your help and comments. The link in Hendreladis's post leads to some fabulous pictures..The picture of a Maclane tipper at Ynyscedwyn Colliery gives another tantalising glimpse but still not quite enough to make a reasonable model. I have emailed Alan Griffiths so hopefully something else will turn up.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Just a bit more on the Maclane tipper. 2.17 - 2.20 in this 

Blink and you miss it!

Not great detail but might help with the atmosphere in the model as it shows the trackway on which the tipper runs and the associated debris. 

Andrew