Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Chris proved to be an excellent and adventurous operator and it was great fun to have him around for the day. With everything that had been going on in the weeks running up to the show the layout hadn't been put together until we arrived in Holland so we tended to err on the safe side. I'm pleased to say that the slip performed perfectly and reversing a rake of wagons into the exchange sidings is no problem. As for Denys's locos, they run beautifully but are 'straight line locos', and the point work in the colliery yard is pretty tortuous.

There were times when we had to abandon operations due to the number of spectators so I think we went down well.

post-1074-0-37190400-1519589158_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-80043700-1519589252_thumb.jpg

I was indeed taken with the French N gauge layout. A simple concept but a superbly executed example of the railway in the landscape. An accurate model of a prototype in the Ardennes region.

post-1074-0-06981900-1519588654_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-68076900-1519588722_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-36284900-1519588804_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-19613200-1519588836_thumb.jpg

My other favourite was an American layout from a team of modellers from Stuttgart. Mallets, huge coal trains and another impressive back scene.

post-1074-0-32023600-1519589470_thumb.jpgpost-1074-0-07877100-1519589546_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 17

Jerry was particularly taken with a French N gauge layout with the mother of all backscenes.

attachicon.gifDSCF3279.JPG

It belongs to my nearest club. I'm not a member, they are "foreigners" the other side of the frontier, but I do exhibit regularly at their biennial exhibition and obviously know them well. There may not be very much ultra fine scale modelling in France, à la 2FS, P4 or S7, but there is still a large number of very good modellers, probably more, in fact, than in the UK given a similar size total population.

• Like 1

I had good fun as guest operator on Foxcote for a couple of hours. Although I think Jerry found my propensity to perform elaborate shunting manuoevres, including backing a complete freight train Heckmondwike style up an incline and over a double slip into the exchange sidings somewhat alarming. Taking Denys Brownlees' SDJR 1F past the 'Colliery locos only beyond this point' proved a step too far. The other operators were restricting themselves to runpasts.

The layout was located in a small enclave of finescale layouts in 2mm, 3mm, 4mm and 7mm scales. Porthcullin was one that stood out for me with the throb of Sulzer diesels filling the 1970s Highland air. Jerry was particularly taken with a French N gauge layout with the mother of all backscenes.

attachicon.gifDSCF3279.JPG

The only downside of Porthcullin was their aged Lima BR CCT with recessed windows. What they needed was one of these...

post-1605-0-42709000-1519657167.jpg

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 2

Is that 2FS?!!

No, as Porthcullin is P4, a 2FS version would be a touch small! Here are 2mm, 3mm and 4mm versions.

post-1605-0-93248200-1519662583.jpg

Edward Sissling, John Sutton and Tim Shackleton made an excellent job of these three. But if I had to choose one, it would be Richard Oldfield's BR blue example (and the other eight he built) for Mostyn.

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 4

No, as Porthcullin is P4, a 2FS version would be a touch small! Here are 2mm, 3mm and 4mm versions.

attachicon.gifThreeHiggs.jpg

Having seen it several times before I left the UK seven years ago, I was well aware that it was P4, and I am very pleased indeed to hear that such a fine layout is still going strong on the exhibition circuit. I did, in fact, think about going to Houten but it would have been a four hour plus (probably very plus) drive each way so, wisely, I decided against.

You have set me wondering whether one of the charms of Porthcullin is that P4 suits it perfectly (in terms of "bulk") or whether the general concept of a simple Highland (or West Highland or Cambrian) passing station situated in typical semi-grand scenery would carry over well into 2FS. It is certainly interesting how important the right "bulk" can be, I have seen a number of fine Settle & Carlisle layouts but to me nothing has ever quite captured the atmosphere in the way that David Jenkinson's Garsdale Road did in the early 1970s, including David's own prior and subsequent layouts.

Having seen it several times before I left the UK seven years ago, I was well aware that it was P4, and I am very pleased indeed to hear that such a fine layout is still going strong on the exhibition circuit. I did, in fact, think about going to Houten but it would have been a four hour plus (probably very plus) drive each way so, wisely, I decided against.

You have set me wondering whether one of the charms of Porthcullin is that P4 suits it perfectly (in terms of "bulk") or whether the general concept of a simple Highland (or West Highland or Cambrian) passing station situated in typical semi-grand scenery would carry over well into 2FS. It is certainly interesting how important the right "bulk" can be, I have seen a number of fine Settle & Carlisle layouts but to me nothing has ever quite captured the atmosphere in the way that David Jenkinson's Garsdale Road did in the early 1970s, including David's own prior and subsequent layouts.

It is a good size for P4, I would go for something a bit more extended in 2mm, perhaps more scenery.  I think a West Highland layout with one of those centre island stations set in bleak moorland would look good. There was in the RM many years ago (March 1973) an N gauge model of Mallaig which had an extension that had that.  You can run those longer fish trains that would overwhelm Porthcullin.

The curving nature of Porthcullin always makes for a pleasing aesthetic in  my eyes and makes for some nice photo opportunities. I think the paticular attention to details and the perspectives are what set it apart.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Gold

The journey back from Houten was long but uneventful. Having woken up this morning to pictures of miles of traffic at a standstill on the M20 I'm glad we didn't have to travel twenty four hours later!

Foxcote is now safely back in the workshop bolted to the rest of the layout. Next outing is Railex in May by which time I will have worked up the scenery a little more. Hopefully the Worsley SDJR coaches will also be in service so I won't have to use the correct, albeit out of period Maunsells. I did take Denys Brownlees converted Farish bogie coaches but they weren't called the tall coaches for nothing - they wouldn't go through the hole in the back scene!!

post-1074-0-94723500-1519743497_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-35253000-1519743648_thumb.jpg

A couple more pictures of the team, myself, Kim, Gascupboard Dave and our neighbour the wonderful Henk Wurst.

post-1074-0-37801800-1519743745_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-79491200-1519743767_thumb.jpg

.......and the layout safely back at home.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 16

Looks like a great exhibition! I really like Monthermé - such a great sense of space - both horizontally and vertically! You don't often see a layout with that much relief in any scale. I found its club profile page here

Really good to see the overview photos showing how the layout links to the rest of the layout too Jerry. Must be great fun to operate!

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a great exhibition! I really like Monthermé - such a great sense of space - both horizontally and vertically! You don't often see a layout with that much relief in any scale. I found its club profile page here

Really good to see the overview photos showing how the layout links to the rest of the layout too Jerry. Must be great fun to operate!

Thanks Justin. The layout is becoming increasingly fun to operate - I can now run trains from the fiddle yard to just south of Bath junction - around twenty five feet.Next major job is to build the viaduct and skew bridge over the lower Bristol road so that I can get into Bath proper.

Jerry

• Like 2

Good to see the photo of Henk. I used to meet up with him regularly but his health problems eventually meant he had to give up shows outside the Netherlands, and, sadly, they are all 200 km plus of very busy autoroutes away from home and therefore not a practical proposition for a day trip. Was he there with Punta Marina which I have noted continuing to pick up awards at shows, and which always reminds me a little of Dave Rowe's first effort Llareggub all of 46 years ago?

That American layout is very nice too.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see the photo of Henk. I used to meet up with him regularly but his health problems eventually meant he had to give up shows outside the Netherlands, and, sadly, they are all 200 km plus of very busy autoroutes away from home and therefore not a practical proposition for a day trip. Was he there with Punta Marina which I have noted continuing to pick up awards at shows, and which always reminds me a little of Dave Rowe's first effort Llareggub all of 46 years ago?

That American layout is very nice too.

Henk was there with Smeerdijk. He hasn't given up shows outside of the Netherlands, he was at Stevenage and Chatam last year and still comes over for expoNG.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Henk was there with Smeerdijk. He hasn't given up shows outside of the Netherlands, he was at Stevenage and Chatam last year and still comes over for expoNG.

Jerry

Oooh, can I do the German sausage joke?   The one about not fearing the wurst.

Oooh, can I do the German sausage joke?   The one about not fearing the wurst.

Only if ye pick a windae first!  (the one by which you'll be leaving)

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

post-1074-0-30785300-1520711529_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-40814900-1520711581_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-32297000-1520711661_thumb.jpg

A splendid days research, griceing or inspiration riding behind a jinty on the S&D. It's only a mile or so of the old line but very enjoyable. - they're running trains tomorrow and next weekend if you are in the area.

post-1074-0-28282800-1520713093_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-68704800-1520713151_thumb.jpg

Quick diversion on the way home - the layout now has a patron saint - will have to look him up.

Jerry

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Couple more pictures from my day out. Sat in my compartment looking out of the window at the signal box I could briefly imagine myself on the 18.05 Bath to Binegar - I even took a snap of smoke drifting past the window as I looked out over the Mendips with the Farington Gurney batch on the skyline.

post-1074-0-14526500-1520770560_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-09264700-1520770652_thumb.jpg

Also a couple more of Foxcote/Shoscombe. The railway crossed the lane right at the bottom of the dip. The conversion of the railway arches is one of the more imaginative uses of old railway structures. Although we are only a couple of miles out of Radstock the steep valleys and narrow lanes make the Foxcote, Writhlington, Shoscombe area feel remarkably remote.

post-1074-0-48374700-1520770781_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-19247800-1520770841_thumb.jpg

A quick web search came up with a couple more shots, one of the viaduct before conversion but with the arch over the lane removed and finally one taken when the line was still open. Shoscombe and Single Hill halt was to the left of the viaduct.

Jerrypost-1074-0-92070300-1520773233_thumb.png

post-1074-0-89861900-1520773199_thumb.png

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 16

Hi Jerry, just lookef at the video of the tippler, is that a balancing wagon running downhill at about 45 degrees to the tippler?

It may be worth an enquiry to the National Mining Museum in Wakefield for more info.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks that's fantastically useful, probably the clearest picture yet. I have another couple of leads to follow up but I think I probably have enough info to make a model now - and before anyone asks it will be non working!

Richard you could well be right. I am almost certainly going to have to simplify, and probably downscale a tad, the model as the batch is only a fraction of the size it should be.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Thanks that's fantastically useful, probably the clearest picture yet. I have another couple of leads to follow up but I think I probably have enough info to make a model now - and before anyone asks it will be non working!

Richard you could well be right. I am almost certainly going to have to simplify, and probably downscale a tad, the model as the batch is only a fraction of the size it should be.

Jerry

Aww, c'mon, I'm sure Mr. Greenwood might have an idea or two...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Aww, c'mon, I'm sure Mr. Greenwood might have an idea or two...

Oh he's full of ideas, thankfully he's in New Zealand so can't lead me astray!! When he gets back he will be too tied up getting Padstow working.

Mind, the ability to occasionally have the tipper move up and down the batch would be fun...........

Jerry