Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

queensquare

Highbury Colliery was flying the 2mm flag at the St Albans Exhibition this weekend, and the Brummitt twins were helping during Sunday. Happy/silly hour saw a few GWR visitors:

no wonder I don't get asked for ID in pubs anymore if I look as old as Rich!!! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

no wonder I don't get asked for ID in pubs anymore if I look as old as Rich!!! :jester:

I thought you made a very handsome couple and excellent operators. Many thanks to the Brummit brothers for their help on sunday which added greatly to what was a great weekend at St Albans. Kim took some pictures so I will upload some later if they are any good.

Jerry

Highbury Colliery was flying the 2mm flag at the St Albans Exhibition this weekend, and the Brummitt twins were helping during Sunday.

David

Ahem, Aside from Highbury Colliery (always a pleasure to see this, even with GWR stock), I think you're forgotten a certain forum member who was also demonstrating the virtues of 2mm modelling at a higher level (on the balcony! :rofl_mini:)

Andy :)

Ahem, Aside from Highbury Colliery (always a pleasure to see this, even with GWR stock), I think you're forgotten a certain forum member who was also demonstrating the virtues of 2mm modelling at a higher level (on the balcony! :rofl_mini:)

Andy :)

Not forgotten, as this thread is dedicated to Highbury Colliery - though perhaps I should have worded one of the captions differently (the caravan was visiting from ... the balcony above). :)

I had spent an enjoyable couple of hours chatting to Missy earlier. Also I spent an hour impersonating her (with permission) at her demo stand whilst she queued for lunch. Definitely missed a commercial opportunity there - several would-be-buyers for her little narrow gauge tipper trucks went away disappointed!

David

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the MRJ piece Jerry. I'm currently planning the next project. Mini-MSW happened more or less by accident and I think this time a lot of thinking might be a better way of doing things. Your article gave me a few more things to think about - which is good.

Alan

PS yes, it will be electrified, just in case you were wondering....

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all for your kind comments regarding the MRJ article, I was very pleased with the way they did it.

Simon, I think the Shay on Highbury was a one off, something to do with that Cornish air! That said, never say never.

Alan, glad the article gave you food for thought. Kim and I will be at Railex Aylesbury with John Greenwood and Wenford bridge so hopefully we can all meet up. How does a Tommy at Wenford and double headed Beattie tanks under the wires sound..........

regards Jerry

Splendid! Look forward to that. I'll be there with Simon Howard, who'se become my regular conspirator and, hopefully Mick Simpson. We'll have to make sure we fit a beer in. Be good to see John again too. I think I'd like a pair of well tanks on banking duty!

• RMweb Gold

Just got home from Leamington where a fantastic day was had operating (or at least attempting too!) Highbury along with WillJ of this parish. Huge thanks to Jerry and Kim for the opportunity to play with operate a superb little layout, and the great company! Hopefully the general public didn't notice too many of the operating errors.

Something odd did appear towards the end of the day though......

IMG_1142b.jpg

I blame that Will fellow..........

Earlier in the day, something new made a fleeting visit also:

IMG_1130b.jpg

Tom.

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tom is being far too modest, he and Will were great company and superb operators today putting on a flawless display for the public which allowed Kim and I some time to take in the rest of the excellent Leaminton show. The layout behaved itself pretty well apart from a break of about fiteen minutes when I had to get the soldering iron out to repair a broken connection on the cassette dock.

I've added another picture of the new Farish WD which somehow found its way onto Highbury in the morning along with a couple of shots of the North Somerset Light's latest arrival, currently in scruffy black but soon to sport a new coat of NSLR green, and some cosmetic improvements including the nameplate 'Stephanie' .

post-1074-0-24565100-1327274209_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-12014800-1327274243_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-35188900-1327274280_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 6

I have to say that Highbury looks even better in the flesh, photos don't do it justice.

I spent a happy half hour or so disturbing Jerry (and Will), picking their brains, and topping up my inspiration for 2mmFS.

Thankyou to you both for your patience.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed the MRJ piece it was well written. It is a shame MRJ limits the number of colour photos Highbury looks so good itshould have been in colour.

Don

I thought it looked stunning in black & white, especially the "period" look shots.

Jerry, am I correct in thinking you are going to Crawley in April?

Cheers,

Dave.T

• RMweb Gold

I thought it looked stunning in black & white, especially the "period" look shots.

Jerry, am I correct in thinking you are going to Crawley in April?

Cheers,

Dave.T

Thanks for your kind comments. We are due to go to Crawley in April 2013, we are at York this April.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

We are due to go to Crawley in April 2013

hmmm...that's near my folks house...I will see if I can wangle a trip back to coincide with that...worth it alone to see HC again... :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gerry,

You had better check with Crawley, I've just looked at their exhibition page http://www.crawleymr...uk/_ex_next.htm

and you are listed as going this year!

Cheers, Dave.T

I've just emailed the exhibition manager at Crawley including copies of our email correspondence pointing out their mistake. I can confirm that the Crawley website is wrong and we will not be there until 2013. My own website (link below) has an up to date list of exhibitions we are attending this year.

Jerry

ps. who is Gerry? :D

Edited by queensquare

Does the first one have the prototype flywheel energy storage?

Ah, the flywheel won't scale down to the model's 2mm-ish scale... it is still a hybrid, but reliant on an innovative propulsion system based on a rubber band catapult rigged up in the fiddle yard!

The weekend was as educational as it was fun.. once I have figured out scenery wrapped around my humble 'N' diorama, I am certainly going to get going on a followup finescale project.

Looking forward to seeing all those mysterious saddle tanks that I left behind joining the colliery's fleet!

• RMweb Gold

Adrian Colenut has posted a nice collection of pictures of Highbury taken at the recent StAlbans exhibition, they can be found here http://www.cmra.org.uk/exhib12/h21.html

One shot captures Julia, (Missy) arriving in her caravan for a fortnight in sunny North Somerset. Apologies for the fat bloke who appears in one of the pictures.

Jerry

• Like 1

Loved this layout when I went and saw it at Stonleigh. (I was the portly bloke in the grey coat). Genuinely hope to see it and yourselves on the circuit more this year!

Edit: Also, I humbly put myself forward to help cover you at another show if you fancy a break. The Stonleigh show was fantastic!

Edited by Heruss