QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

I like the idea of it falling on top of the Lada (or whatever it is) in the canal. Then you'll need a scenario of men standing around scratching their heads, followed by an attempt to remove it and the car....

Best, Pete.

A Lada it is. I doubt theres any rush to remove it........being mostly made of cardboard is will probably soon disolve. Brian

• Like 3

Is it really a Lada?

[They were,apparently, very popular with the Scots!]....

Looks more like a Trabant to me.....especially if Brian thinks it's made of cardboard!

The Lada would more likely to have contributed to the swing bridge in the background....

Keep the tree...but pray it doesn't fall victim to Dutch Elm disease....

Also, be wary of attracting woodworm into the baseboard frames.......difficult to tell if your drilling is as bad as mine?

Is it really a Lada?

[They were,apparently, very popular with the Scots!]....

Looks more like a Trabant to me.....especially if Brian thinks it's made of cardboard!

The Lada would more likely to have contributed to the swing bridge in the background....

Keep the tree...but pray it doesn't fall victim to Dutch Elm disease....

Also, be wary of attracting woodworm into the baseboard frames.......difficult to tell if your drilling is as bad as mine?

Crickey you're right. I had a Lada once.........it felt like a Trabant. I'm pretty sure the tree is staying (Mrs ZOB likes it) Brian.

I bought this Roco NS 2200 about 25 or 30 years ago from Beaties just round the corner from Petticoat Lane if I remember correctly, and I've only just got round to weathering it. Surely QUAI:87 needs just one more loco. By todays standards super detailed it ain't. Most of what you can see in the picture is pure vintage Roco but the charm of this particular model is what lies under the bonnet. Gone is all the original gubbins that used to drive the thing along. Power is now provided by a Machima 16/30 motor (would have prefered a Sagami) the torque of which is transmitted through an epicyclic converter to a 18 x 45mm flywheel, mounted on ball bearings, to a 26;1 final drive gearbox by Brimalm. It ranks as one of my smoothest running locos to date........goes like a dream on roller skates.Brian.

post-5773-0-55818500-1347722870_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Just brilliant, genius; and it surely must the first and only layout to date to warn of the perils of GM products.

I've been warning of the perils of 66's for years... self steering bogies won't get a Euro Shed (or any other shed for that matter) around those curves :jester:

• Like 1

Power is now provided by a Machima 16/30 motor (would have prefered a Sagami) the torque of which is transmitted through an epicyclic converter to a 18 x 45mm flywheel, mounted on ball bearings, to a 26;1 final drive gearbox by Brimalm. It ranks as one of my smoothest running locos to date........goes like a dream on roller skates.Brian.

This sounds fascinating - more of a miniature engineering project! Do you have any photos of the loco sans bonnet?

• RMweb Gold

Here's a snap of the drive on Brian's P87 Dutch class 08 type that sometimes appears on Quai 87.

It uses an Australian ModelTorque drive unit which uses a magnetic clutch with a large flywheel added. These drive units are available here from Intercity Models in Cornwall. It is great fun to drive with 'super creep' starting and good 'overrun'

post-6728-0-19842500-1347906549.jpg

• Like 9

Interesting mechanism improvement! Is the epicyclic converter clutch mentioned home brewed, or some commercial unit that is still available?

Ted

Hello Ted, thank you for taking the trouble to respond. No the 'clutch' is not one of my creations, if only I were able. It is a unit produced some time ago now by Squires Transmissions ( last address I had was, 6006-B Triangle Drive Raleigh, NC 27613, USA) and marketed as Modeldrives. I haven't been able to get in touch with them this last 10 years, mores the pity. I guess they are out of business now. The internet is little help....comes up with something that looks promising but leads to nothing. All a great shame as the unit is a little gem. Driving the loco is so pleasurable and just beyond my power to describe. It is in the same general school as the Model Torque Eddy Current drive system I have in my Roco 600 class (Dutch 08) and similar in a way (though not in operation) to the Bendix type clutch marketed by Dynadrive. However it has its very own distinctive characteristics (when mated to a large flywheel as I have done). It was originally marketed as a direct replacement for the twin flywheels in Athern diesels and this in my opinion would not have got the best out of it, maybe that's why it has disappeared. Anyway it needs to be played with to appreciate how good it is. I shall have the loco on QUAI:87 at Scaleforum in Leatherhead at the end of this month, you'd be very welcome to come along and give it a try. Regards, Brian.

This sounds fascinating - more of a miniature engineering project! Do you have any photos of the loco sans bonnet?

Hello CWJ, sorry don't know your real name. I'm not sure its miniature engineering on my part, cobbling together is more in my line. However its some time since I asked a Dutch Lady to take her top off but I think I got away with it, picture attached. Also see reply to Teds' post above, Brian.

post-5773-0-37345200-1348082043_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 9

Here's a snap of the drive on Brian's P87 Dutch class 08 type that sometimes appears on Quai 87.

It uses an Australian ModelTorque drive unit which uses a magnetic clutch with a large flywheel added. These drive units are available here from Intercity Models in Cornwall. It is great fun to drive with 'super creep' starting and good 'overrun'

post-6728-0-19842500-1347906549.jpg

I'll bring this to S4um as well, Brian.

• RMweb Gold

. It is a unit produced some time ago now by Squires Transmissions ( last address I had was, 6006-B Triangle Drive Raleigh, NC 27613, USA) and marketed as Modeldrives. I haven't been able to get in touch with them this last 10 years, mores the pity. I guess they are out of business now. come along and give it a try. Regards, Brian.

Brian is quite right in that it's no longer available. The address in North Carolina is now another business. I did discover a few years ago that NorthWest Shortline had had some involvement, but as Brian says it does that seems to have come to nothing.

In my view (FWIW!) the Model Torque clutch works very well in comparison. The clutches used to be, and still may be, available in pairs without the motor from Peter Tisdale at Inter City Models http://www.intercity...odeltorque.html I think that this is the part number for the pair of clutches. SMAT An-01

Motored version

post-6728-0-69053400-1348084095.jpg

• RMweb Gold

.A snap of my P4 Lima Cl 60 chassis with a rather large motor which came from the guidance system on one of ill-fated and scrapped 'Blue Streak' intercontinental nuclear missiles! Problem with it is that it tends to fall off the DRAG test track at speed because of the centrifugal force. Flywheel needs making lighter!

post-6728-0-98841600-1348085765.jpg

• Like 4

Hello Ted, thank you for taking the trouble to respond. No the 'clutch' is not one of my creations, if only I were able. It is a unit produced some time ago now by Squires Transmissions ( last address I had was, 6006-B Triangle Drive Raleigh, NC 27613, USA) and marketed as Modeldrives. . . . Regards, Brian.

Thanks.

I had one of those once, but foolishly took it apart to see how it worked, but when put back together, it no longer did! :nono:

You've given me a good reason to take a second look at it.

Ted

• Like 1

Hi everyone. Enough of this nonsense about stable doors! This layout is one of the most inspirational models I have seen. Brian has a knack of producing something very original and very different to most layouts seen on the exhibition circuit. Although I have known Brian for the best part of 40 years he still comes up with new ideas and schemes that no one else seems to emulate. Thanks Brian for your inspiration over the years and for your friendship. May your example last for many more years.

railwayrod

• Like 7

Hi everyone. Enough of this nonsense about stable doors! This layout is one of the most inspirational models I have seen. Brian has a knack of producing something very original and very different to most layouts seen on the exhibition circuit. Although I have known Brian for the best part of 40 years he still comes up with new ideas and schemes that no one else seems to emulate. Thanks Brian for your inspiration over the years and for your friendship. May your example last for many more years.

railwayrod

Keep up. Rod, the bit about stable doors was months ago! As for the rest I heartily and sycophantically agree.

Howard

Hello CWJ, sorry don't know your real name. I'm not sure its miniature engineering on my part, cobbling together is more in my line. However its some time since I asked a Dutch Lady to take her top off but I think I got away with it, picture attached. Also see reply to Teds' post above, Brian.

Thanks for the reply, Brian. That flywheel is a monster! There's something about a working mechanism which is more satisfying than the equivalent electronic simulation. I'd like to have a go one day, next time I have a re-motoring project.

Cheers,

Will

Hi Brian,

Rather nice mechanisms there, they all look rather robust!

They have certainly attracted some attention, although it looks like we've missed this:

a rather large motor which came from the guidance system on one of ill-fated and scrapped 'Blue Streak' intercontinental nuclear missiles!

It's anybody else worried that SWAG has access to intercontiental missiles, or are they just the highly secret transport option for Captain K to get the pasties to the Taunton members day?! :triniti: :secret: :blum:

Lovely layout by the way Brian, certainly is inspiration to myself and others :good:

Simon

EDIT: To correct spelling Brians name! :blush:

Edited by St. Simon

• RMweb Gold

It's anybody else worried that SWAG has access to intercontiental missiles, or are they just the highly secret transport option for Captain K to get the pasties to the Taunton members day?! :triniti: :secret: :blum:

Simon

I can neither confirm nor deny that it may or may not be the former or the latter so as CK is watching you lot, you'd all better be minding your Ps & Qs! :nono:

• Like 1

Hi Brain,

Rather nice mechanisms there, they all look rather robust!

They have certainly attracted some attention, although it looks like we've missed this:

Lovely layout by the way Brain, certainly is inspiration to myself and others :good:

Simon

Thank you Simon, it's all been great fun, Brian.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, Brian. That flywheel is a monster! There's something about a working mechanism which is more satisfying than the equivalent electronic simulation. I'd like to have a go one day, next time I have a re-motoring project.

Cheers,

Will

Yes Will, I have tried as you have various electronic inertia systems and very nice they are too but nothing concentrates the mind quite like 16oz or so of loco heading under its own volition too fast towards a row of parked wagons. Hitting the emergency stop won't help, regards, Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Yes Will, I have tried as you have various electronic inertia systems and very nice they are too but nothing concentrates the mind quite like 16oz or so of loco heading under its own volition too fast towards a row of parked wagons. Hitting the emergency stop won't help, regards, Brian.

Oh yes...I recall the tale of someone who did just that, by driving one of these heavy locos (with Dynadrive) onto some unpowered siding years ago and did a fine demolition job!