QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brain,

Rather nice mechanisms there, they all look rather robust!

Lovely layout by the way Brain

Well, we know he's the Brain of Britain, Simon, but if we keep on about it, he won't be able to fit his head and the layout in the van next Friday!! :jester: :P

I can neither confirm nor deny that it may or may not be the former or the latter so as CK is watching you lot, you'd all better be minding your Ps & Qs! :nono:

Yes, indeed, and beware of Prussians bearing pasties!... :D

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

Thanks.

I had one of those once, but foolishly took it apart to see how it worked, but when put back together, it no longer did! :nono:

You've given me a good reason to take a second look at it.

Ted

Yes Ted give it another go. I have had quite some success rebuilding these things, lapping in the gears with toothpaste for even smoother running. The trick is on re-assembly is not to do the screws up too tight, just a little over finger tight. Let me know how you get on, Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Does it come with an operator's aid....ie appropriate sound effects when 'handled'? [Asda used to have a moo-ing milk section...remove a carton of milk, and the whole thing moo-ed...maybe a discreet enquiry at your local store might elicit a contribution?

It is a very big pallet...or a rather small cow?

It is a very big pallet...or a rather small cow?

Excellent Brian, what controls the udder ones :sungum:

I never thought I would say this, Brian, but you need some Cow-Pats!

Is no-one going to take my point levers seriously, Brian

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 1

I never thought I would say this, Brian, but you need some Cow-Pats!

That is a "loose-heeled" turnout held together by one pivot point? I may not be seeing everything, though.

Super Ground Cover.

Best, Pete.

Hello Pete, yes I suppose that is what they call a loose heeled turnout, although I don't think of it that way. I do all my sharp curve low frog angle industrial type turnouts this way, pivoting on that bit of springy p/b wire you can see. Really you shouldn't be able to see it I guess. With this method there is no flexing strain on the blade end fixings and the incidence of broken joints here on my layouts is very rare. No cow pats either thanks, Brian.

Edited by Brian Harrap

• RMweb Gold

Is no-one going to take my point levers seriously, Brian

Only when you paint the cow bronze, to reflect the fact that it is, in reality, a cast statue ordered by The Arts and Farts Council of Europe, to adorne the Headquarters of the European Cummerbund Commission... :jester:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

What fun driving one of those things? Imagine, every time one turns a corner, knocking down post boxes and drunken pedestrians with that snout?

Or, am I misinterpreting things here? Is it one of those Michelin or Berliet rubber-tyred railbuses? In which case, how do you get it to follow the rails? At turnouts, does it change direction using point blades, or gentle persuasion?

Have you motorised it?

Why is it pink?

Why is the tram pan down? [has the laggy band broke?]

There's some serious subsidence on the quay side.....I advise checking under the baseboard for leakage...has something become very soggy underneath?

Wiking? { a trade name, not a personal question!]

I'd better come clean straight away. The item above is something entirely of my own creation and started life as a Wiking double decker Berlin bus. Shown is one of a pair I used to run back to back on the old Axalp layout. No idea now what happened to the other half, can't find it anywhere. It is indeed motorized with an old single axle drive unit I took from an old Lilliput drasine I think - the drive gear of which long ago split in half so this is now a static model. It may not show too clearly, Alistair, but it does have flanged wheels so following pointwork etc is/was no problem. Perhaps the picture also doesn't show too clearly is that it isn't Pink but "Isobella", a colour that I am quite fond of in moderation. The subsidence on the quayside occurred quite naturally and I have decided to keep it - I find such random cracks look much better than ones I try to recreate artificially. Tram panto is down to stop it moving off, it gets its juice through the oh line. Thank you all for your interest, Brian.

• Like 2

Thanks for that, Brian...the info and the photo!

Re-the tram?

What make is it [hope I'm not considered presumptuous if it is scratch-built?}

Can you tell us [me?] more regarding the overhead wire? [ie, is it tensioned, or simply nailed down?]

Edited by alastairq

I trust Brian won't mind me jumping in here, the model tram is made by Kato. The prototype is a Hannover "Aufbauwagen", built by Uerdingen in 1950 on a pre-war truck. The car was donated to the Hiroshima Electric Railway - "Hiroden" - in 1989, and forms part of their heritage/museum fleet.

http://www.vehicle.city.hiroshima.jp/VEHICLE_HP/Contents/01_home/0104_English/02_hiroden/romen.asp

• RMweb Gold

the drive gear of which long ago split in half so this is now a static model

I'll go out on a limb here and say on behalf of John and myself that we think you should get it operational again, Brian. It looks far too much fun to be left idle underneath the Stealth Shed...

"Isobella", a colour that I am quite fond of in moderation

And does Isobella reciprocate?... :P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'll go out on a limb here and say on behalf of John and myself that we think you should get it operational again, Brian. It looks far too much fun to be left idle underneath the Stealth Shed...

. :P

Seconded! :sungum:

I trust Brian won't mind me jumping in here, the model tram is made by Kato. The prototype is a Hannover "Aufbauwagen", built by Uerdingen in 1950 on a pre-war truck. The car was donated to the Hiroshima Electric Railway - "Hiroden" - in 1989, and forms part of their heritage/museum fleet.

http://www.vehicle.c...roden/romen.asp

No not at all at all, and that's quite right. I would have preferred a different version but thats all I could get at the time. The other side of the tram I have 'un Japaned' and placed a Jagermeister add over the squiggly writing, Brian

Hi... the tram is truly excellent...especially for the price [60-odd of our quids from Japan itself!!]...there is/has been a similar article from Lilliput on eBay recently....I suspect the two mechanisms will be like chalk-and-cheese with regards to performance.....waddyafink?

The Liliput model is of a WW2-era Kriegesstrassenbahnwagen, or KSW. The model was introduced 1971, and as you suspect, the performance was nothing to write home about. And as the models aged, the bodies had a tendency to warp and distort. At least, all the examples I have seen are warped.

If you're after a model of this style of tram, get the Kato. They also produce other versions/liveries, and a trailer car as well.

kato30930.jpg