QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

Thirded! Something that strange-looking should not be allowed to lurk in quiet corners.

With all the lovely overhead support in place, this looks like a freelance trolleybus opportunity, just waiting to burst through. Even the "right" number of rear axles. Have to lose that snout though :stinker:

Ted

Thanks for that, Brian...the info and the photo!

Re-the tram?

What make is it [hope I'm not considered presumptuous if it is scratch-built?}

Can you tell us [me?] more regarding the overhead wire? [ie, is it tensioned, or simply nailed down?]

As you will have gathered by now the tram is Kato (much better than the Liliput one). Regarding the oh line there is a piece I put in the Tramway modelling thread under 'First tram #25' and in 'Exhibitions / scaleforum 2012 # 294 which may be of interest, hope this helps, Brian

No not at all at all, and that's quite right. I would have preferred a different version but thats all I could get at the time. The other side of the tram I have 'un Japaned' and placed a Jagermeister add over the squiggly writing, Brian

A very appropriate choice of ad. I've been scanning photos of German tramcars from some of the colour books in my collection, and the most common seem to be either for beer or coffee. Two beverages I'm rather fond of...

Looking at the photos in your "First Tram" thread, I was quite taken with your little tram depot. What did you use to build that?

Trolleybuses need two overhead wires! There is only one for the tram.

You've not seen the Translor (I think) trolley bus system then. Single contact wire - return through a single guide/contact rail in the pavement. Brian

Edited by Brian Harrap

John,

You might well ask! Back in my 'yoof' whilst serving the good populous of Hertfordshire, we had a proposal using what was then termed as 'Guided Light Transit' (but essentially the same as Translohr) to create the Central Herts Rapid Transit system. This would have run from Watford Town Centre, along the route of the St Albans Abbey branch, then via the centre of St Albans to Hatfield.

We actually got a reasonable way towards establishing a business case, the theory being that the end product was cheaper to construct than a tramway, and the vehicles could actually come 'off the rails' and run as semi-conventional buses to expand the network.

In the end, the project hit the buffers because of two specific local factors - the unacceptable nature of 'wires in the street' to the good folk of St Albans, and the Holy Grail of through trains to Euston for supporters of the Abbey Line. The project was therefore abandoned towards the end of the 1990s.

15 years later, and traffic is even worse in St Albans, and the Abbey Line still stops at Watford Junction! What price progress?

Regards,

Geraint

• Like 2

A very appropriate choice of ad. I've been scanning photos of German tramcars from some of the colour books in my collection, and the most common seem to be either for beer or coffee. Two beverages I'm rather fond of...

Looking at the photos in your "First Tram" thread, I was quite taken with your little tram depot. What did you use to build that?

The tram depot on QUAI:87 is a straight forward plasticard job as are all the buildings on the layout, copied from one I saw on my travels although mine doubles up as a bus depot as well. One day I'll get the oh line into the building. Thank you for your interest, Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Sifting through some photos earlier........

post-1074-0-28603600-1352903546_thumb.jpg

Arrived in the hall at Railex Aylesbury on the Sunday morning to find that some damn fool had parked their barge slap bang in the middle of the canal - blocking all the swing bridges. What swine did that..... agents Harrap and Nevard of Interpol investigate :scratchhead:

Jerry

We were exhibiting next door and 'never saw nufink - honest!'

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 10

Fundemental trackwork design error on QUAI:87

post-5773-0-08255600-1353675955_thumb.jpg

It became clear soon after I had installed the thing that the crossover at the end of the tramway wasn't right. The crossover has nothing to do with the tram line (the track on the left) however but is to allow for a shunting run round loop to the right which winds its way through, between and under the commercial premises on the quayside. (Buildings not replaced since S4um when pic taken). Just how I came to make this mistake I'm not exactly sure but the crossover being arranged as it is means that the headshunt, to the right, cannot be used as a siding to park a wagon or two (never got enough of them). Much better to have the crossover of the other hand so that the tram stop could be used as part of the run round. Having suffered this inconvenience at a couple of shows I have resolved to rebuild the crossover to the other hand. I shall do this as it might have been done in the real world leaving the two points in situ but locked out of use and the middle bit as it were, dug up and replaced with the new diagonal and make a scenic feature of it. Cobbles dug up/replaced with Tarmac, you know the sort of thing. Still with me? I could make the whole thing into a scissors but that would be a bit ordinary and be of no operational advantage. Making a start soon.

Note. The upstanding reed switch between the tracks is hidden in one of the support columns of the building that spans the tracks just here and is to activate the tram auto shuttle circuit and will not be affected by the new arrangements.

Aside. I am aware that heavy rail and tramway tracks don't really mix in the period modelled, wheel profile, flangeway differences etc, but I am happy to overlook all that for the sake of having it how I like it.

Anything but start a new layout. Brian.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Brian, I'm going to ruin your day(s)... :sorry:

The points you use are the US style single-blade trolley versions. They are fully prototypical, on a US style layout :P Not so on the European Continent... Fortunately Andy Reichart supplies an auxiliary kit to make a set of double bladed points for his street track system. ;)

Oops.........Travelled around Europe quite a bit.........perhaps I had better get my eyes tested and my camera seen to, Brian.post-5773-0-07595500-1355419141_thumb.jpgEsberg Denmark

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Not QUAI:87 but a picture I came across of something I did a little earlier that I thought I'd share with you.........it may be old hat now but some of you may not have seen it.........anyway here goes, Brian

I know you are very dismissive of the skills required for tracklaying but I'd like to come over and take some lessons!

What scale and gauge(s) is that, Brian?

Best, Pete.

I know you are very dismissive of the skills required for tracklaying but I'd like to come over and take some lessons!

What scale and gauge(s) is that, Brian?

Best, Pete.

Hello Pete,   It's HO/ P87 again, from some 30 years back.  Standard (16.5mm)  metre (11.49) and 76cm (8.73mm), catenary 6.3m (7.3mm) above railhead (all strung straight between mast fixings - no curved bits). I may be able to save you the time and effort of lugging over the pond for lessons by respectfully offering the following regarding track building:-  1. think through exactly what you are going to do and how you're going to do it.   2. be exeeding neat   3. take your time and then some more time.

all the best, Brian.

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 1