Brick to stone wall join

Again, thanks for all your input, the door opens into what was almost a passageway, the leet tunnel inside taking up most of the space to the right in the original building.

The same earth-tremor that collapsed the workings at the Wheal Gravy Pasty mines to the west, also caused a partial collapse of the west wall of Bear's End Mill and it was then re-developed as snuff mill [ 5 pot pot-mill shown below under construction] with the brick extension. The same event damaged the south wall, necessitating the buttress shown in the drawing above when the original overshot wooden wheel which powered the grain mill and the later needle mill machinery was replaced with a more powerful back-shot iron wheel capable even of grinding left-over pastry from Mrs Chubber's pasties.

post-106-0-82440500-1307721630_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Herewith another attempt at the stone/brick mixture, this time as repairs to a stone wall. I used Maurice's suggestion of cutting one paper under the other, some Pritt-Stik mixed with off-white pastel as 'mortar' and have tried to represent 'Bulls eye' glass in some panes by using a fine tip PVA applicator. John Wiffen really should be congratulated on producing this TX48 Squared Rubble, with the evening sun light on it I don't think you can tell it is just printed paper.

post-106-0-65596000-1312058025_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-78534900-1312058011_thumb.jpg

Doug

Some more stone/brick joins, this time with a bit of 'salad'. having been prompted here not to show unlikely 'hanging' joints/areas helps to concentrate on what you should be doing. [Hopefully!] Looking at the rh side of the top one, I shall have to either blend in some of those straight cut joins.

post-106-0-07711600-1312563659_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-72100600-1312563653_thumb.jpg

The medium grey lines drawn under the quoins helps to give them 'solidity'. [iMHO] I've used W'Scenics 'foliage' twiddled and drawn out between my fingers, then pressed into PVA on a tile, and then pressed into place, together with last years trimmings from my thyme plants, and bits of ivy stalk.

post-106-0-92968300-1312563629_thumb.jpg

Thank you, both! Mike, it's an amalgam of several mill buildings, but inspired by some needle mill pictures posted on RMWeb by Cap'n Kernow and the sort of picture below from this site http://www.freedigitalimages.co.uk/

a real treasure house of images almost designed for model railway scenic reference but in reality provided for artists and the like. Reproduction is permitted for non-commercial use like ours, but commercial use is catered for. Some of the images zoom to 'brick by brick' size.

You know what it's like, you look at a 'needle mill' from C.K., then see a 'snuff mill' and so on, and before you know it you've browsed 5000 pictures, read a dozen dozen sites and you are full of arcane, useless knowledge! The you forget where the picture you want was in the first place....

The building is supposed to now be a back-shot steel and iron wheel, fed from a reservoir behind the mill with a by-pass emptying into the same wheel pit. I was lucky enough to speak a little while back to an 'eggspurt', a mill-wright at the Whitchurch Silk Mill, Hampshire, a deffo day out, who explained the development of different wheels and why they suited certain locations and that's why Bear's End is an example of the latest and most efficient type, highly efficient due to the parabolic shape of the wall behind the wheel.

post-106-0-12581200-1312724445_thumb.jpg

Best wishes,

Doug

Thank you. Herewith the lastest bit of work, the second walkway. When eventually the upper building is finished it will be bedded down so that the jin won't [hopefully] show. Before then there are one or two bits and pieces to do like a back-scene support etc. and another 1/4" of varnish to pour.

post-106-0-25988600-1313081150_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-74591900-1313081246_thumb.jpg

Any other queries, please feel free to ask,

Doug

• RMweb Premium

This just gets better and better every time I look! What attention to detail and all done with brick paper - who said that you needed real relief. Scalescenes is a great product and when used this way demonstrates that anything is possible with it.

Thanks for the link with the pics - I see what you mean - I'd forgotten how much I loved the Cotswolds. I live and work in Southern Ireland now and am surrounded by tranquil beauty, but I really do miss those lovely English villages with their interesting, historic buildings. You might have just given me the inspiration to build a little model of an English village for myself - might not feel so homesick then.

Regards

Mike

Thank you for your kind remarks, as I've said before, as I'm retired I have the luxury of taking as long as I want over any little detail, some people are not so lucky and have to compromise!

Mike, I'm glad to have given a little inspiration, it's other modellers lovely work that prompts me to keep trying, I just wish I didn't get side-tracked so easily, 'researching' is too posh a word for the way I wander off into Internet land......e.g...........did you know that tobacco for snuff mills was imported from Virginia in cylindrical barrels, not tapered like our beer barrels, and were bound by wooden bands, not iron hoops? I know it because I found information including a B&W photograph of it being unloaded-but where, where, oh bl%%dy hell where?!

Doug

Nick that's brilliant of you! The third reference is particularly useful as it gives a size of 48" tall by 30" diameter, quite a big container load of tobacco to grind up. I wonder if it was broken down further at the docks. I think I will try and telephone Wilsons' snuff and see if anyone can tell me... Snuff sed for now.....[sorry]

Doug

Hi Doug,

Glad you found them useful. I just used a google image search with the keywords "tobacco barrel unloading". It returned some strange stuff but there were a few relevant pictures. I also found an interesting collection on flickr this evening, one of which shows the barrels being opened in the bonded warehouse at Bristol. I think this was just for sampling, as here. This one appears to show lorries being loaded to take the barrels from the bond to the factory. There are also several photos here of loading and unloading ships and barges.

Nick

Hi, again, Nick.

I had a very pleasant 'phone conversation with a lady called Carol at the Wilson's Snuff Mills at Sheffield yesterday. She consulted members of the team there who confirmed that the tobacco was indeed delivered to them in Sheffield, by rail, in the 'cylindrical' 1000lb barrels. Much earlier than this [historically] it arrived in barrels as we know them, tapered at each end. She said the route was almost a direct one from the station and in the 1930s was delivered by the station by horse and cart.

I just used a google image search with the keywords "tobacco barrel unloading".

Doesn't it show you how using even a slightly different search phrase throws up different results?

These latest pictures you have sent really show tobacco as a heavy, bulky load, I think two will be full load for my GWR Wheel Horse! I shall have to devise a realistic means of copying one or two.

Thank you, P&S for your kind remarks, it was indeed made in Sketch-up, once you have the hang of the measuring units, you can append the dimensions and mark out the shapes of each wall, roof sheet etc using compasses and dividers, they then fit together very easily, especially if you use brown licky-sticky parcel tape to tack them together before running a line of PVA down the inside join.

The 'missing brick' thing I often include as SWMBO and I went for a walk one day and under a bridge we found the same thing, as though some of the bricks had returned to clay, and little bees were making good use of the soft areas to bore tunnels for nests.

Hi Doug,

Glad to hear you've tracked down more information about the snuff industry.

...These latest pictures you have sent really show tobacco as a heavy, bulky load, I think two will be full load for my GWR Wheel Horse! I shall have to devise a realistic means of copying one or two....

I had a couple of relatives who were "Will's girls" so I knew about the vast number of photos that survive of the Bristol industry. What I hadn't realised, as you say, were how heavy a load these barrels would be. From the final product, I'd always imagined it to be a bulky rather than dense material. So, apart from a pleasant couple of hours looking through old photos, I've managed to learn a bit about how it was transported thanks to this little detour on your thread.

Looking forward to seeing more of your buildings...

Nick

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm off to UK on Saturday to sort out one or two things there, so a little update on Bear's End Mill, the treatment of the roadway outside the old part of the mill.

I used 3mm foam board, with the top layer of paper peeled off and a gentle camber suggested by using 120 grit sandpaper. A coat of medium grey acrylic followed, then I played 'cars' with a 1/76th taxi and allowed it to dry. Using the car whilst the paint is wet avoids having white lines show through, which happens when dry painted foam is crushed. Just remember to wash the model car wheels, but 48 hours soaking in washing up liquid and water finally gets it off with the help of a toothbrush if you forget......................

Then neat PVA is applied around all the edges that you want to feature grass, and strips of Wilkinsons green hanging basket liner are applied, left 24 hours and then pulled off. It 'splis' into two layers, I just use one layer and cut a straight edge to press into the PVA with scissors.

The tiled roof is Scalescenes Old tile, and the weathering is applied by dipping a paintbrush into a watercolour mix and flicking the wet bristles with a matchstick to 'spatter' the surface. Grey, black and beige oil pastels are scraped on and brushed off, ivory white watercolour is used for mortar stains, and a few tiles cut about etc to make it look a bit lived-in.

The grey acrylic paint is used again generously at the edges of the road and sieved Chinchilla dust shaken on with a bit of Hornby grass powder. The ruts in the road get a line of beige drawn in the bottom of the larger ruts, and a line of black on 'north' side before the effect is softened with a stiffish No.10 oil-painting brush. A little scraped light grey pastel brushed around lightens the effect.

Hope this helps someone, I probably won't be on the internet for a few days, so TTFN!

Doug

post-106-0-58427000-1322758090.jpg

post-106-0-39412300-1322758096.jpg

post-106-0-21421100-1322758102.jpg

Archived