Now that I've got my modelling bits out of storage I thought it best to split my building stock out of my layout topic - it was getting a bit confusing for me http://www.rmweb.co....O_DIR#/grin.gif I'm still building the O Gauge Tram but its taken a bit of a back seat while I stare at everything I've done wrong with it.
On this thread I'll be showing progress and various projects for the three N Gauge layouts I'm involved with; My Layout: 'Gresby' modern image East Midlands secondary line (currently a terminus - see link in my footer thing), 'Farndon Road' 50s/60s BR steam fictitious East Coast Mainline by the former Newark & District N Gauge group now part of Bingham MRC, and 'Parnhams' pre-war Vale of Belvoir - a layout I sometimes help to exhibit. Most of the stock on this thread will be for Gresby (and its replacements) but there's always bits and bobs coming over to me for building, painting and detailing from the other layouts - so check back often if Steam's your thing
In January I was spurred into action after reading the 'editorial' in the N Gauge Journal referring to our piles of Un-Finished Objects (UFOs) I decided to pick out ten UFOs from my box and get them finished and either put away, sent to their owner or sold by the end of the year; obviously moving back to the UK and putting all my stuff into storage for three months has hampered my efforts slightly, but I live in hope! I finished one item from the list before leaving Helsinki:
Three Dapol fish vans I'd been putting off finishing off - they're a bit too dirty I think but they shouldn't stand out too much in the rest of the Farndon Road fish train. They were replaced in the UFO list by this:
A BR Blue headcode disk class 20, which I converted and painted a year or two ago but hadn't finished because of another housemove (should probably move into a caravan or something) and when I got it out to photo and see what needed doing to it I had a rather nasty surprise when I took the body off the dummy chassis:
The resin chassis block had warped, which affected the running. I found a similar problem when I got back from Helsinki with one of my dummy class 37 chassis, so I decided to see if I could fix it with hot water and a bit of gentle persuasion:
I couldn't. Which brings me nicely round to last nights modelling session http://www.rmweb.co....O_DIR#/grin.gif I made my own replacement chassis from plasticard and the usable bits from the ISM chassis.
I made a replacement base-plate out of two layers of 2mm plasticard, the bottom layer shaped to the shape of the Farish 37 body, the top layer smaller to clear details like the doors. The bit in the middle was so the back of the cab sat at the right height and to add a bit of strength to stop it sagging under the weight of the fuel tank.
Next I spent forever cutting the fuel tank away from the remains of the old chassis and adjusted the bogie centres to fit the tank and let the bogies swing (I'd drilled the original holes slightly too close together)
Next I cut off the cab details from the original chassis and stuck them on. I need to see how well it runs, the bogies will be tightened up when its been painted, I'm not sure about adding weight - the 37 will be used to top and tail so will need to run just as well being pushed and pulled.
Just need to paint the chassis and I can get detailing the buffer beam http://www.rmweb.co....O_DIR#/grin.gif
Thats all I got done last night, I've still got the class 20 to re-chassis and when I get somewhere to paint sorted I can get cracking with the rest of my pile.
Lots to do!
Edited by MrSimon, 05 November 2016 - 10:04 .