Lynton and Barnstaple Railway in 1961.

Evening All,

As some of you may remember, I had some pictures of the L & B trackbed taken in 1961 on my Fotopic website.

With the disappearance of Fotopic, those pictures disappeared too. However, I have now uploaded them to my new photo album on Flickr so if anyone didn't see them on Fotopic, and would like to see them now, here's the link :

Hope that they are still of interest.

They are Ron. Unfortunately I can't add comments on Flickr. That's because I do not want to sign up to them. Period. I dislike this "social media" crap. Sorry!

Anyway, some comments on the last photo in that stream, the one you question as being Parracombe: yes, it is. The parapet on the right is the (present day) A39 and with these coordinates you can find the approximate (!!) location of your position when taking the photo in Google Earth or Maps: 51° 10.893'N, 3° 54.626'W Enable the Streetview function and you can see what it looks like today (well, at the time the photo was made ;)) :)

One question on the first photo, the one at Barnstable Station: I can't find its location as the area has been redeveloped extensively in the intervening 4 decades and the present day railway station is located on the opposite side, and quite a distance, of the water. Using Streetview, are there any references (buildings?) on that photo still existing today?

Thanks for the tip. I had a look at Streetview; it's possible to roughly work out where I was, but trees and shrubs have grown up since I was there in 1961.

The present day Barnstaple station used to be Barnstaple Junction. The station in my picture was Barnstaple Town on the north side of the river. See :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnstaple_Town_railway_station

As it says, the signal box is still there :

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Barnstaple&aq=3&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.201477,43.286133&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Barnstaple,+United+Kingdom&t=h&layer=c&cbll=51.079743,-4.063036&panoid=FCwSPo0KN8r_LQ76s-gZEQ&cbp=13,302.72,,0,1.84&ll=51.079661,-4.062943&spn=0.00092,0.002642&z=19

and the station building is now a school :

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Barnstaple&aq=3&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.201477,43.286133&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Barnstaple,+United+Kingdom&t=h&layer=c&cbll=51.079981,-4.063079&panoid=jA3y8mv0a8KU9YVrINfUNA&cbp=13,259.96,,0,-3&ll=51.079892,-4.063131&spn=0.000222,0.002642&z=19

• RMweb Premium

One question on the first photo, the one at Barnstable Station: I can't find its location as the area has been redeveloped extensively in the intervening 4 decades and the present day railway station is located on the opposite side, and quite a distance, of the water. Using Streetview, are there any references (buildings?) on that photo still existing today?

Its not easy to spot the route of the Ilfracombe line where it threaded along the riverside in Barnstaple; but this link should show the location on Google Maps.

Barnstaple Town station was just above Castle Quay; the long building with the grey slate roof is the station building, now surrounded by modern flats. The carpark is on the site of the platform and exchange sidings. The L&B curved round parallel to North Walk, where the Council building is, and then alongside the river Yeo, crossing Rolle Street and Pilton Causeway by level crossings, to Pilton Yard where the next carpark is.

Streetview shows;

Town Station from the road, Site of Rolle Street Level Crossing looking South, the line ran along the left side of the building. Site of Pilton Causeway Level Crossing Look closely at the wall, the cast iron caps from the crossing gateposts have been retained and placed on top of the wall, either side of the low section. A little further along Pilton Causeway, This Carpark is the site of Pilton Yard.

This website http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html will show how the old route. Put Barnstaple into the search box, scroll down the right-hand list and select the 1932 map, and then zoom in.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing photos from the 60's - I felt really choked viewing them for some reason, not sure why.

I discovered this old railway this year in April . Up to that point I had zero interest in it. There's just something about it!

Heres some pics I took. Hope they are of interest

Near Bratton Flemming

nrbrattonflemtowardslynton.jpg

Nr The Viaduct

20113008.jpg

Nr Bratton

20112001.jpg

Viaduct behind me, looking towards Barnstable

westofviadlooktowardsBarns.jpg

Again NR Bratton

nrBrattonFlemminglooknorth.jpg

BY Viaduct

cheltowardsviaandlynton.jpg

20113027.jpg

Old Rail!

oldrailnrcollarbdg.jpg

Nr former Bridge over Mill Lane

nrbridgeovermilllanebrattonflemming.jpg

I have others if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Dutch, glad you liked the pics. That bit of line seems to be a private piece of track in the Bratton Flemming area. I can't tell you anymore than that really. It could be seen only from a couple of similar road ober rail bridges in the area. In fact I suspect one of the pics from the 1960's might have show the same road bridge minus track underneath.

This shot is of Collar Bridge which is North of Snapper. This is looking North towards Lynton

collarbdg0.jpg

North of Chelfham Station looking towards Barnstable

looktwoardschelfamstationandbarns.jpg

Same location (give or take a few yeards) Looking towards Lynton

lookawayfromChelfamstationtowardslyton.jpg

Collar Bridge looking towards Lynton

collarbridge.jpg

Mill Lane missing bridge (Bratton)

milllanebrattonflemming.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Lovely stuff, very nostalgic. More please!!!

A question, the fifth picture down, of the abutment labelled "Near Bratton", is that the site of Lancey Brook Viaduct? I believe the viaduct itself was demolished during the war as an Army exercise.

Many thanks,

Dave.

Lovely stuff, very nostalgic. More please!!!

A question, the fifth picture down, of the abutment labelled "Near Bratton", is that the site of Lancey Brook Viaduct? I believe the viaduct itself was demolished during the war as an Army exercise.

Many thanks,

Dave.

Dave to be honest I'm not sure, it could be. IF I remember correctly we are west of Bratton at this point, Is that where it was situated?

Has anyone else got any pics of the trackbed? Just thought that it would be great to put them all together in order if there was more out there! (There must be)

• RMweb Premium

Dave to be honest I'm not sure, it could be. IF I remember correctly we are west of Bratton at this point, Is that where it was situated?

Er yes. Look at this map of Bratton Fleming and zoom in, it goes to the larger scale map. Mill Lane is labelled and the location of Mill Lane bridge (your final photo) is clear. I'm pretty sure that Lancey Brook viaduct was in the wooded valley just south-west (towards Barnstaple) of the bridge, .

There are very few photos of this viaduct around, as its location is away from roads and footpaths.

Thanks,

Dave.

Er yes. Look at this map of Bratton Fleming and zoom in, it goes to the larger scale map. Mill Lane is labelled and the location of Mill Lane bridge (your final photo) is clear. I'm pretty sure that Lancey Brook viaduct was in the wooded valley just south-west (towards Barnstaple) of the bridge, .

There are very few photos of this viaduct around, as its location is away from roads and footpaths.

Thanks,

Dave.

Righteo, well that looks right because that photo was taken just to the left of where it says Pennyall on the map.

I must go and find the pic of that viaduct now, that's intriguing. I picked up a relice from that location too. Not sure what it is . I will take a pic and post it to see if anyone can identify it.

Oh, also, that pic where the track is down in situ was taken at the point North of Bratton just above where on the map it says Button

Some railway all in all wasn't it, Dave?

Len

There does indeed appear to be a private miniature railway using some part of the old trackbed around Bratton, but I have no details of it.

Who is now reponsible for the upkeep of the viaduct and overbridges? Successor companies are responsible for the maintenance of structures in a safe state ( hence the common demolition of decks for disused overbridges ) - I'm interested to see at least one overbridge still apparently complete and the whole viaduct in place.

There does indeed appear to be a private miniature railway using some part of the old trackbed around Bratton, but I have no details of it.

I remember seeing film of a 7.25" gauge railway using part of the trackbed some years ago. The builder was running a Tinkerbell and I'm sure the track went under a bridge at one point. It may have been in the Going Loco series which dates it somewhat. I have no idea if this railway is still in place.

Geoff.

Who is now reponsible for the upkeep of the viaduct and overbridges? Successor companies are responsible for the maintenance of structures in a safe state ( hence the common demolition of decks for disused overbridges ) - I'm interested to see at least one overbridge still apparently complete and the whole viaduct in place.

I gather that the bridges were taken over by Devon County Council, which presumably remains responsible for them.

It's normal under these circumstances for something to be written into the agreement to the effect that if the railway is ever revived, responsibility for the bridges will return to it. However, when the Welsh Highland went under, Carnarvonshire County Council - as it then was, and using the then-spelling - forgot this last bit, and so still I believe remains responsible for the Welsh Highland's bridges to this day!

I remember seeing film of a 7.25" gauge railway using part of the trackbed some years ago. The builder was running a Tinkerbell and I'm sure the track went under a bridge at one point. It may have been in the Going Loco series which dates it somewhat. I have no idea if this railway is still in place.

Geoff.

The railway pictured is the 2ft gauge replacement for this 7.25" line.

I gather that the bridges were taken over by Devon County Council, which presumably remains responsible for them.

It's normal under these circumstances for something to be written into the agreement to the effect that if the railway is ever revived, responsibility for the bridges will return to it. However, when the Welsh Highland went under, Carnarvonshire County Council - as it then was, and using the then-spelling - forgot this last bit, and so still I believe remains responsible for the Welsh Highland's bridges to this day!

braver man than me, to express any opinion as to whether the Welsh Highland is alive, dead or any other thing!

Surely the position regarding the original L&B would be that it was incorporated within the Southern Railway at the Grouping and hence any remaining assets nationalised?

braver man than me, to express any opinion as to whether the Welsh Highland is alive, dead or any other thing!

Surely the position regarding the original L&B would be that it was incorporated within the Southern Railway at the Grouping and hence any remaining assets nationalised?

The WHR is surely officially alive, the remaining assets having, I believe, been bought from the Official Receiver.

The Brown, Prideaux and Radcliffe book on the L&B states categorically that Devon County Council took over responsibility for 12 road bridges; the viaducts seem to have remained as SR property, and no doubt ultimately went to BR unless / until they were sold off.

• RMweb Premium

The Brown, Prideaux and Radcliffe book on the L&B states categorically that Devon County Council took over responsibility for 12 road bridges; the viaducts seem to have remained as SR property, and no doubt ultimately went to BR unless / until they were sold off.

When the L&B Trust took over Chelfam Viaduct a few years ago, I'm pretty sure it was from Railtrack

Dave.

The WHR is surely officially alive, the remaining assets having, I believe, been bought from the Official Receiver.

that would seem right. The railway, or its successor companies, would be liable for the ongoing maintenance in safe condition, of any structures and fixtures unless they are otherwise disposed of. However, they are NOT liable for upgrading them over time; if you want to, say, widen a bridge or increase its weight limit, you will probably have to adopt it in order to do so.

There was a thread on here about the WHR a while ago, which made extraordinary, if perplexing, reading......

• 2 months later...

The former 7.25" line at Bratton has indeed been replaced by a 2" gauge. It was and is privately owned by an L&B member. The viaduct is still owned by the successor statutory body - BRB (Residual) Limited who are currently responsible for its maintenance. The Viaduct was extensively restored to working order in 2000, including replacing the parapets which had been removed in the 1960s, and water-proofing the deck, ready for the time (eventually) when the railway again reaches Chelfham.

There is also a short 7.25" gauge miniature line in the grounds of Woody Bay Station, which is often in use at L&B Galas and Special Events - visiting locos welcome by arrangement :)

For more information of current developments on the L&B, see http://lynton-rail.co.uk

regards,

Martyn

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Who would ever have thought when those pictures were taken that you would ever be able to get on a train and leave Woody Bay station in the way that nature intended ... on a real narrow gauge railway? We may have hoped then and it seemed a forlorn hope but now ... :-) !!

cd Here is a picture of Chelfam Station and viaduct taken two weeks ago 29th January after a work party had cleared the bank behind the station building. This photo could not have been taken for many years as the trees obscured the site.post-10164-0-87891800-1328993299_thumb.jpg

I seem to recall the extensive reconstruction of the viaduct - with waterproofing, a new deck and parapets, was done by good old British Railways. It is an English Heritage Listed Structure and is now on its third 'custodian' never to have run a train over it (BR, Railtrack, and now, presumably, Network Rail). BR did much to try and divest itself of the burden of listed buildings that were redundant.

The English Heritage (Images of England) website is well worth a look for listed railway buildings. Chelfham Viaduct was listed in Feb 1965 (at the height of the Beeching closures, when it was necessary to try and stop redundant structures being demolished). The EH citation reads:

Viaduct, serving the dismantled Lynton-Barnstaple railway, 1896-7. Engineer, F. W. Chanter. Yellow brick with rock-faced plinths to the piers. 400 feet long and 70 feet high. 8 tall arches with semicircular heads springing from unmoulded impost bands. 2 shallow pilasters flank the 4 principal arches on the west side, and a single pilaster to centre on east side, all with unmoulded capitals of 8 oversaling brick courses. "More than a quarter of a million bricks were used in its construction, and the cost was about £6,500". L T Catchpole The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway. The narrow gauge line was closed in 1935. The largest bridge structure on a narrow gauge line.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

I seem to recall the extensive reconstruction of the viaduct - with waterproofing, a new deck and parapets, was done by good old British Railways. It is an English Heritage Listed Structure and is now on its third 'custodian' never to have run a train over it (BR, Railtrack, and now, presumably, Network Rail). BR did much to try and divest itself of the burden of listed buildings that were redundant.

The English Heritage (Images of England) website is well worth a look for listed railway buildings. Chelfham Viaduct was listed in Feb 1965 (at the height of the Beeching closures, when it was necessary to try and stop redundant structures being demolished). The EH citation reads:

Viaduct, serving the dismantled Lynton-Barnstaple railway, 1896-7. Engineer, F. W. Chanter. Yellow brick with rock-faced plinths to the piers. 400 feet long and 70 feet high. 8 tall arches with semicircular heads springing from unmoulded impost bands. 2 shallow pilasters flank the 4 principal arches on the west side, and a single pilaster to centre on east side, all with unmoulded capitals of 8 oversaling brick courses. "More than a quarter of a million bricks were used in its construction, and the cost was about £6,500". L T Catchpole The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway. The narrow gauge line was closed in 1935. The largest bridge structure on a narrow gauge line.

CHRIS LEIGH

Railtrack and Network Rail are not and have never been responsable for Chelfham Viaduct. It passed into British Railways hands because the Southern Railway were unable to despose of the structure (either by sale or demolition) once they shut the line. Like other redundent structures located on dismantled lines it was never passed on to Railtrack upon privitisation and is therefore still owned by the British Railways board.

Therefore it has only had one owner who never used it for its intended purpose - namly BR, and this looks set to remain the situation unless anyone else can be found to take over looking after the listed structure and all the liabilaties asociated with it.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Archived