Mudmagnet's Workbench

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ray,

The construction is quite straight forward really, being boxes, made of four sides and glued together! I will bring this along to the club on Tuesday.

I will also take a photo showing the construction inside when the roof has been finished.

• RMweb Gold

As a change from making the buildings, I've had a go at weathering my recent purchase - a Bachmann Class 37. This is one of the older versions, purchased second hand at a recent exhibition and need to fit a decoder for DCC. I can live with the slight issues at the front end (windows and valance). Unfortunately only one set of pipes were in the bag, so need to get a second set for the other end and will then paint / weather both sets of pipes together.

post-7854-0-02113500-1314654705.jpg

post-7854-0-51758500-1314654715_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, I have finally managed to get the decals onto my two Mermaids and now weathered. The only other thing to do now is make the removable ballast loads! The photos below show loose ballast poured into the wagons for effect. I am planning to get a couple of Dogfish and then maybe a couple more Mermaids. I have a couple of Shark brake vans (one Hornby and the other Cambrian kit) which both need weathering.

The wagons have been weathered using Citadel paints, plus a little weathering powder.

post-7854-0-03550200-1316279263.jpg

post-7854-0-27949000-1316279266.jpg

post-7854-0-45682800-1316279270.jpg

• Like 7

I've taken the liberty of running your photos through a quick colour correction in Photoshop again, the originals aren't doing justice to what you've achieved with these wagons.

post-6668-0-95720500-1316338463.jpg

post-6668-0-71698100-1316338465.jpg

post-6668-0-11146300-1316338462.jpg

They both look convincing to me - keep up the good work!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I've taken the liberty of running your photos through a quick colour correction in Photoshop again, the originals aren't doing justice to what you've achieved with these wagons.

They both look convincing to me - keep up the good work!

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your comments. I'm very pleased with the way that they have turned out!

Thanks for tweaking the colours - what have you done?

• RMweb Gold

Super work Richard, the weathering is outstanding and they look great with the loads in.

i must get me some of these haha

great job mate

Hi Neil,

Thanks. I will get some more of these at some point - just have to remember to get the wheels at the sametime!

Once I have a couple more, I am thinking about running in pairs - so will have three-links (instanters I assume) between and Spratt and Winkles at each end.

I think that I will have ago at my Grampus wagons next - these need a little more weathering. Will post photos when done.

Thanks for tweaking the colours - what have you done?

No problem, I just adjusted the colour bias of the image to remove the red/yellow cast to them. I used the auto levels tool in Photoshop, but there are other, free, programs which you can do similar things with.

• RMweb Premium

No problem, I just adjusted the colour bias of the image to remove the red/yellow cast to them. I used the auto levels tool in Photoshop, but there are other, free, programs which you can do similar things with.

Hi Pugsley,

Can you recommend a free Photoshop clone? I have Photoshop, but a very old version (Elements 2) I would like to upgrade, but I dont want to fork-out for the latest Photoshop!

many thanks,

Dave.

PS Apologies for hi-jacking your thread Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin,

Thanks - I will have a look. There are some basic functions in windows, but to be honest, I copy the photos onto my laptop from my Nikon via their software (which has some editing functions, but don't use) and copy straight to the folders where I want the photos. I manipulate them from there. I need to change how I do things!

Hi Pugsley,

Can you recommend a free Photoshop clone? I have Photoshop, but a very old version (Elements 2) I would like to upgrade, but I dont want to fork-out for the latest Photoshop!

many thanks,

Dave.

PS Apologies for hi-jacking your thread Richard.

No problem Dave - all helpful information.

DLT - I've heard good things about Picasa, which I believe will do the basic colour correction and image manipulation.

I will have a look, subject to comments above.

• RMweb Gold

Who makes the mermaid wagons Richard, i think i will give them a go, something a little different for Deeping.

look forward to seeing the grampus wagons soon.

will give you a call if your about this week also.

Hi Neil,

These are Cambrian kits. Don't forget that you need to buy wheels and bearings as well at the sametime as these are not supplied in the kits.

They are a little tricky to put together, but do look great when finished.

I hope to have a go with the Grampus later this week.

Cheers

• 6 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've not been posting anything on this thread, in fact not been posting much on any of my layout threads, but have been busy. A lot of my time has been taken up with commissions and a few other bits and pieces.

One such project has been a depot diorama, which I will create a thread in the diorama section, but as a taster, here's one photo taken a few weeks ago.

post-7854-0-36357500-1522508334_thumb.jpg

I've also been making several buildings and other details. 

First up is a signal box assembled from a 4mm kit from Severn Models and complete with their interior kit.

post-7854-0-20167400-1522508896_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-72784100-1522508913_thumb.jpg

• Like 3