Mistley

Bar Side

I've been reading the ideas for the challenge with interest & have come up with an idea. Now, should I build it?

The space limit stopped initial ideas of a section of main line & the like (I'd want to run things on it!) so I have gone for a long since out of use section of track in Mistley, Essex. Mistley is a small port on the Manningtree - Harwich line that lost its connection to the line in the 60's. However, as is the case with many docks, the tracks are still visible in the dock side. Indeed they can clearly be seen on Google Maps:

My link

Mistley has a nice collection of maltings and warehouses that a rappidly being turned in to flats. The idea is to feature a spot where the line goes under a loading hopper inside a building. I'll post up my picture of the site later.

I have started sketching things out, so i'll post some updates as it goes.

Ivan

• Like 1

And here is the plan:

post-220-0-16696700-1308220680_thumb.jpg

Lots of empty space but it would look good for placing a wagon - maybe ex-GER grain hopper or similar. Lots of scope for accumulated grot around the edges. I have done a mock up in cardboard - what would we do without cereal packets? Will post a picture shortly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why not? Looks like a reasonable way to fill the space, and having the track at an angle rather than parallel to the edge always causes the viewer to stop and look. The high buildings will ensure they have presence. Could be really successful.

Thanks for the feedback - I was originally thinking of the line across the diorama & the edge of the dock at the edge of the scene, but it didn't look right. I want to make sure the track can be powered so I can shunt in from the back.

Think I will start on the buildings before the baseboard & see how it looks. I was going for cardboard with brick paper/printed corrugated.

Great idea - the buildings towering over the wagon looks good. The line lasted beyond the 1960s though. The book 'East Anglian Rails in the 1980s' has a photo of an 08 bringing air-braked vans [VDAs I think] up from the quay in July 1982. The 1978 sectional appendix contains instructions for working the line, including the fact that an 'incline brakevan' was provided, and 'must' be used.

Rob

Thanks for the comments - glad the angles look ok.

RobR - thanks for the info, the last photo I saw of the incline being worked was a class 15 struggling up there. The tracks were still there last time I looked, but I don't think they are connected to network rail anymore. I used to work in Cattawade & play footie with some of the guys from EDME - now there is a nice building to model:

post-220-0-76779700-1308300791_thumb.jpg

I did a bit of work on the facade last night. Just scrap card & brick paper. I used the original photo to 'clone' the corrugated iron for the top half & used the photo for the windows, recessed behind the card. Sort of like this:

post-220-0-55093200-1308300951_thumb.jpg

With a bit more of the frame shaped up & tacked together with tape this is what it started to look like:

post-220-0-36952100-1308301042_thumb.jpg

I'll probably have a go at the frame behind it or the side tonight.

• Like 1

I will watch this with interest as I only live a few miles away from here and have taken photos for possibly a similar project in the future you can get an old os map which shows the railway lines on the quay side. I was thinking of using the building with the cannopy behind for the backing on mine.

@cromponut - nice pic, I think that the 08 is sitting in the old EDME spur just before the station, rather than the steep incline to the docks. Could be wrong though.

@Simon - I've got some old OS maps showing the original loop under the main line Harwich - Manningtree line. I always fancied the height challenge with the big maltings / warehouses. Some five stories that are below the level of the road running behind them (and equally below the mainline level). It would make quite a narrow layout but if you could get the mainline in behind the dock scene (station and road) then it would look stunning.

Dock side view:

post-220-0-40198800-1308324059_thumb.jpg

Back of the same buildings from the road in front of the station:

post-220-0-54196400-1308324132_thumb.jpg

Nice to see that you got the pics before the new horrible fence on the dockside!

If you are missing any photos that can help let me know and i can pop down and take them for you its only 5mins away.

@Simon - cheers for the offer!

@adanapress - I *think* the bridge is still there. Have a look on google maps just before the house & swimming pool. You can see that the house is a long way below the level of the line. However that alignment shows as abandoned on the 1923 OS map, so who knows. And its all private land.

OK, a little progress with the main building:

post-220-0-05865000-1308343695_thumb.jpg

I have now figured out why people put building flat against the side or back of the layout. Putting a square building at an angle in the corner is something of a geometry test. Not tried putting a roof on yet!

post-220-0-17785400-1308343862_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Gordon - I had thought that was just a check rail but you are probably right. I guess it something like this at Ipswich docks:

post-220-0-85923900-1308345884_thumb.jpg

Could be a challenge to include the remains of a removed set of points like this. Hmm, will ponder that one. Thanks

• RMweb Premium

As someone else hinted, the connection to the main line did at one time go under the main line, I wonder what happened to that track bed and presumably a bridge?

Old maps.co.uk Type in Mistley and click search. a series of maps will be listed in the right hand side of the web site, then click on any of following maps that are listed.

The above link will take you to a very useful web site, as the above poster mentioned the line from the quay side did indeed run under the main line. but Imagen that the bridge has now gone due to a land slide a fews years back.

The flash earth image shows the line side repair where I should have thought the bridge should be.

Mistley embankment repair.

Terry

@Terry - like that Flash Earth site. I suspect you are right that the bridge has gone.

@Simon

Thank for those photos - much appreciated. I was going to model the structure but I haven't got a clue what it is or what it does. That shot is really handy though - thanks