Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

Richard Hammond's engineering connections: Japan's Bullet Train

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iL Dottore

iL Dottore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:09

I recorded this last Tuesday and watched it yesterday. It really is a fascinating insight into how the Japanese have engineered the famous Bullet Trains or Shinkansen (I had the opportunity to ride a bullet train when I was in Tokyo [Tokyo - Kyoto rtn], an amazing experience, it beats even the TGV and the ICE by "a country mile").

It is now available on the Beeb's iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk...3_Bullet_Train/ and is very much worth watching

F

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 DY444

DY444

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:35

I agree it was interesting however I felt it tended to give the bullet train engineers rather too much credit for things which probably came from elsewhere originally. For instance the French were pioneers in the field of high speed current collection from their work in the 1950s and distributed traction was used by LT before WW2.