Post times from the UK?

Dear all we are still reviewing our postage UK & overseas and as soon as we can get a better deal from someone other than Royal Mail we will re-work it. We do try our best to ship items the same or next day (excluding a weekend / bank holidays when we do not get a collection service) .

Thanks for all the kind coments and please feel free to browse our eBay stoer and new sibe site just went live last Thursday.

Peter, Peters Spares Model Railways Ltd.

G'day Peter,

I believe you give us from 'Down Under' an excellent service. I have purchased from you previously and never had a problem with postage time and cost. Which come to think of it, I must order those SE Finecast Flushglaze windows...

Cheers, Gary.

Totally agree with the above comments, Peter, Hattons & RoS, all supply me with excellent service. But as I made the mistake of using City Link for an order with Hattons back in August this year , which has still to arrive, I would strongly recommend using either Royal Mail small packet for the smaller items and DHL for larger or multiply items. Pullman set has just arrived in Western Australia, 4 days from Hattons packing department to layout...excellent service and an excellent model from Bachmann

Just placed an order today with Hattons. Being shipped by Royal Mail (signed for), as from what I have read, City Link is a no-no. I'll let you know how long it takes once landed on my door step. Purchased some SR Guards Vans from Rails last month and they arrived in 6 days. Can't complain about their service.

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 years later...

Advice folks - two weeks ago a retailer dispatched Airmail two OO locos (limited editions, and last in stock possibly anywhere) from Queensland TO London. Delivery time, 10 working days max (i.e. two weeks).

As of now, 11 working days and counting, nothing.

Is this just the seasonal rush? At what point should I start getting worried in terms of postal incompetence and lost items?

My last loco from Aus (November 2008) took 7 days door-to-door.

I have the postage receipt and Auspost tracking number (which claims to be untrackable!), so I know when it was dispatched.

RM does, I believe, do its best to deliver mail in a timely manner - but at this time of year the increase in items is almost unbelieveable - I have been waiting 8 days for a first class posting from Nottingham! I can, however recommend DHL who manage to deliver Corels  PaintshopPro from Brno, Czechoslovakia, in two days, on two separate occasions, in their big yellow van!

Actually, package would have arrived on time. Customs decided I should pay VAT (technically correct, but why didn't they do this on previous similar purchases from Aus - never had a problem), and the VAT request form got held up in Christmas post. Overall cost - ouch... making me think twice before doing something like this again.

Unlike Australia with a Generous GST allowance on imports, no such generosity for us.

Thanks for the help.

Actually, package would have arrived on time. Customs decided I should pay VAT (technically correct, but why didn't they do this on previous similar purchases from Aus - never had a problem), and the VAT request form got held up in Christmas post. Overall cost - ouch... making me think twice before doing something like this again.

Unlike Australia with a Generous GST allowance on imports, no such generosity for us.

Thanks for the help.

Luck of the draw I expect, we get Customs surcharges in our Delivery Office all the time, and there's no clue as to why some are surcharged and others are not, you can't even say it's on a value  like $20 US, as some for $10 have surcharges.

I'm guessing that a lot depends on the physical size of the parcel rather than the actual value of the contents.

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

I have recieved my parcel of 9 wagons from Hattons today. Quite impressed with their mail out as it has arrived on my door step in 6 days. Well done Hattons !

Cheers, Gary.

Gary et al, I received a package from Hattons yesterday (30/12) that was despatched on 22/12. That was by standard Royal Mail air mail, not signed for. Not bad with Christmas in the middle - in fact faster than average (usually about two weeks at the moment).

• RMweb Premium

From my limited experience of sending items to Oz and NZ by Royal Mail it takes 5 to 10 days (a record early in december was  3 days...)to Oz, a day or so longer to get to NZ.

Baz

• 1 year later...

If I order from Hattons then about 2 weeks seems to be the norm here in NSW. I think our postal service (Australia Post) is very slow as I can buy and have items sent from DCC Concepts in Western Australia and they take 2 weeks to get here. Having items come by DHL is a waste for the girl in our post office informed me that although is maybe taken from the UK shop by DHL to Heathrow once it lands here it gets put into Australia Post and delivered via the usual way.

Archived