Etched loco chassis

Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

J11, D10/D11 (Director), O4 (ROD), O1, lots of 4-6-0s.

The GWR knew nothing about standardisation. On the GC, it was pretty much a case of one size fits all in regards to tenders.

Chris

Chris,

I for one would be quite happy if you gave into temptation with any of those!

Simon

Edited by 65179

Hi Chris when will the 72xx chassis be available.

Dave

I have a couple of sheets in preparation, one for 2mm versions of my chassis, the other for 1:148 obscure stuff. As the 72XX is on both (in different scales) whichever is done first it will be on.

Chris

Hi Chris,

any news on the LSWR O2 chassis mentioned a couple of pages back?

Also, you mentioned N Brass for a body kit, but it is not listed on his website. Is there a body kit available anywhere?

Ian.

It's the G6. The body of a G6 is the same as at least some of the O2s (cab sizes did differ on some) but the O2 was about 8" longer. You might get away with nobody noticing.

Nearly there, its on a sheet waiting to be sent to PEC.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

Ca anyone confirm whether the holes in the rods on the shop's "Replacement nickel-silver coupling rods for GF locomotives" etch suit the Association crankpins or are they sized to fit the Farish? Essentially can I use the etch with standard finescale wheels and parts . . . 

Thanks in anticipation.

Ca anyone confirm whether the holes in the rods on the shop's "Replacement nickel-silver coupling rods for GF locomotives" etch suit the Association crankpins or are they sized to fit the Farish? Essentially can I use the etch with standard finescale wheels and parts . . . 

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi I can confirm that the holes are too large (0.7mm diameter) to be used with association crankpins without alot of play.   My understanding is that the coupling rod etch was designed to suit the original Ballentine range of wheels that used to be sold as direct drop in replacements for the older Farish locomotives.   Hope that helps

Guy

A way to go on this, but here are the bare bones of a GCR 4000 gallon tender to go with the Aberdare.

There are dangerous tempatiations here as there are a whole lot of other things that can go with this tender as well.

Chris

Chris et al,

I understand from my technical support (my son, Nick!) that a 3D printed version of the GWR 3000 gall tender will shortly be available in 1:148 and 1:152 scales from Shapeways. Look out for NBS3000.

John

• Like 1

Chris et al,

I understand from my technical support (my son, Nick!) that a 3D printed version of the GWR 3000 gall tender will shortly be available in 1:148 and 1:152 scales from Shapeways. Look out for NBS3000.

John

Yes I have been conversing with him on this. And adapting my GWR tender chassis etch so that it will work with this and Nick's other tenders.

The 3000 gallon has wide usage on Dean Goods, 2251, Aberdare, Bulldog and so on.

Once this one is done I was going to throw him the next idea for a new tender of a Collett 3000, pretty easy to adapt by lowering the sides on the 4000 gallon tender.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

In a previous conversion attempt, I successfully soldered some crank pin washers into the holes on a Farish con-rod so that they could be used with Association wheels.

From another thread it suggests to use 0.7mm brass rod turned down at one end (minidrill?) to 0.5mm to fit in the wheels. Then you can use the rods as-is.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82934-farish-jinty-2fs-dcc-jinty-update-4f-2fsdcc-conversion/?p=2725191

Or you could just drill or ream out the crankpin holes to 0.7mm and use the rod as crankpins? 

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Chris et al,

John

John,

I believe there wass some talk of a straight-framed Saint print---the Ladies. As I've always had a soft spot for these, could you enlighten me.

Mark A

John,

I believe there wass some talk of a straight-framed Saint print---the Ladies. As I've always had a soft spot for these, could you enlighten me.

Mark A

Mark,

I have finished the 2D CAD artwork and Nick has made some progress on the 3D model but I don't know when it will be ready for a trial print. I will post news as and when it happens.

Best wishes,

John

A way to go on this, but here are the bare bones of a GCR 4000 gallon tender to go with the Aberdare.

There are dangerous tempatiations here as there are a whole lot of other things that can go with this tender as well.

Chris

attachicon.gifgcr tender.png

Here is the chassis to go with the body

post-1605-0-11920200-1495178659_thumb.png

post-1605-0-82963000-1495178788_thumb.png

Edited by Chris Higgs

Looks good Chris. Is my memory playing tricks or does the 4000 gallon tender have longer springs on the middle axlebox?

Simon

It does. However the way I do my 3D CAD made that pretty tricky, but I have now worked out how to cope with it.

Chris

post-1605-0-11852800-1495197348.png

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

Chris

attachicon.gifgcr tender.png

The body shape is coming along now. Turns out that GC tenders are not as standardised as all that, at least the interiors. The first drawing I found was of a wider, self trimming tender fitted to Directors and perhaps not much else. Having found a GA of a more typical version suitable for the ROD, and therefore the Aberdare and 2251, I have made adjustments and added the front end. All the detils are still to do though.

Chris

post-1605-0-04897400-1495384692_thumb.png

post-1605-0-05869700-1495384702_thumb.png

post-1605-0-81719800-1495384717_thumb.png

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chris,

Disappointing you didn't stick with the self trimming one; it would have gone nicely with a B3 or B7 print!

The ROD tenders have a round filler and full width rear coalplate as opposed to the u shaped (in plan view) filler of the GCR tenders with water scoop. As far as I know, the preserved O4 and D49 both have ROD tenders. I don't have any views of the rear of a ROD tender, but here are a few of the front of Morayshire's. Note no ship's wheel waterscoop handle or associated conduit in the coalspace.

Simon

Edited to correct name of waterscoop wheel.

post-3982-0-81042000-1495396123_thumb.jpg

post-3982-0-35666200-1495396217_thumb.jpg

post-3982-0-46189500-1495396290_thumb.jpg

Edited by 65179

Chris,

Disappointing you didn't stick with the self trimming one; it would have gone nicely with a B3 or B7 print!

The way I do my CAD, I can cover it later. I feed 2D drawings into the 3D, so I can do various tenders by feeding different drawings. Hence I could cover a few variants (different water fillers, with and without coal side plates and so on), as well as the smaller 3250 gallon tender which I think look much more elegant with the J11s.

Chris

The ROD tenders have a round filler and full width rear coalplate as opposed to the u shaped (in plan view) filler of the GCR tenders with water scoop. As far as I know, the preserved O4 and D49 both have ROD tenders. I don't have any views of the rear of a ROD tender, but here are a few of the front of Morayshire's. Note no star-shaped waterscoop handle or associated conduit in the coalspace.

Useful information.I had been assuming that the round water filler was a later modification to the original D shaped version, however from what you are saying they were built this way.

And presumably therefore tenders with D shaped fillers retained them to the end?

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I've struggled to find an early view of the rear of a ROD tender, but am confident that the round filler is as built.

There is a brief discussion of GCR tenders on the LNER forum: https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11419

It uses Bachmann models but shows some of the main differences between the 4000 gallon variants. You can see how much further back the ROD tender rear coalplate is compared with that of the J11 tender. This meant the ROD tender was rated as carrying an extra ton of coal. I think retention of the D was usual on removal of the scoop and gear for the GCR-built tenders (admittedly from memory and after a quick skim of the relevant RCTS book), but if 63601's tender really started life as 6202 as suggested in the linked text then some may have been.

• RMweb Premium

That's an interesting drawing Tim. The left hand side (looking from the rear towards the front) toolbox looks to be rotated through 90 degrees compared with the GWR ROD tenders I can find with a quick Google for 2251s and Aberdares. Unless I'm misinterpreting the diagram.

See for example: http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrls233.htm

Simon

That's an interesting drawing Tim. The left hand side (looking from the rear towards the front) toolbox looks to be rotated through 90 degrees compared with the GWR ROD tenders I can find with a quick Google for 2251s and Aberdares. Unless I'm misinterpreting the diagram.

See for example: http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrls233.htm

Simon

or something like this?

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/31-129_28904_Qty1_ruler.jpg

Chris