Etched loco chassis

Chris Higgs

Information on the RODs in GW use is scant. Checked http://railphotoprints.uk/p176522356 inconclusive. I do have a picture in my collection showing the toolbox that way round, can't display it here due to copyright. Figure 292 in "A Pictorial Record of Great Western Engines" shows it this way round.

All I can say is that the drawing was measured from an extant tender. Perhaps you could mould the toolboxes as separate items?

Further progress. I am now focussing on the ROD tender with perhaps GC versions later. The fancy GA drawing I have (from the books on GC locomotives) does not seem to match any tender I could find a photo of! It has the footplate widening from 8'3" to 8'9" at the front, and side raves that extend further forward, but with a standard width tank and not self-trimming.

So I have taken some dimensions for the side profile from a combination of the Bachmann model and a drawing in RM. Hardly good practice, but it does seem to look about right.

Chris

post-1605-0-88823400-1495694501_thumb.png

• RMweb Premium

The GA in Eddie Johnson's book looks like the type built for the larger boilered 4-6-0s. If the end views correspond with the side and top elevations then the drawing is from the Beyer-Peacock archive at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester. The date on the end views means I'd put my money on the drawing being for the BP batch of B7s LNER no's. 5031-5035.

Simon

Edited by 65179

The GA in Eddie Johnson's book looks like the type built for the larger boilered 4-6-0s. If the end views correspond with the side and top elevations then the drawing is from the Beyer-Peacock archive at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester. The date on the end views means I'd put my money on the drawing being for the BP batch of B7s LNER no's. 5031-5035.

Simon

I suppose I should have read the text in the book more carefully. It tells me that this is precisely correct, the drawings are of the B-P built tenders.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I suppose I should have read the text in the book more carefully. It tells me that this is precisely correct, the drawings are of the B-P built tenders.

Chris

Well as I didn't actually read that text either, you're not alone!

Well as I didn't actually read that text either, you're not alone!

A wise man doesn't believe the text in the book (especially if it is a caption) until he has verified it for himself by checking photographs.

A wise man doesn't believe the text in the book (especially if it is a caption) until he has verified it for himself by checking photographs.

Most of the photos are really too indistinct to tell, particularly in regard to the interior. However the extended side raves look to match, and the footplate widening can also just be discerned in a couple.

And they are Beyer-Peacock works drawings which narrows it down significantly.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

I decided to plunge in and do the later GWR Collett tender myself. Although the final target is the 3000 gallon version, the picture is of the 3500 gallon, for which I have a drawing. I can lower the sides later to model the other type. I haven't found anything more than an outline drawing of the 3000, so will need to rely on the Bachmann 4mm model, or going to see the real thing (as running behind 3205).

Doing the curved rear corners has stretched Openscad to its limits.

This tender, along with the Dean 3000 gallon version being done by Nick Birkett-Smith and the ROD tender will provide three different tenders that can all accurately be run behind the Peco 2251 loco bodies that a lot of us picked up a few years ago.

Chris

post-1605-0-94666300-1496211645.png

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Also received are new and simplifed motor mounts for coreless motors (7mm, 8mm and 10mm diameter). You simply glue the motor onto the mount.

You can cut the mounting pins off if you want to just glue the mount to your frame spacers

Height adjustments if needed made by inserting plastikard (or similar) shims under the base.

Chris

attachicon.gifmotor mounts.pngattachicon.gifmotor mounts 2.png

Hi Chris,

Any news about the availability of these mounts in the Shop?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps of more general application than the smaller Collett tenders will be the Hawksworth smooth sided 4000 gallon to put behind Halls and Castles (or even a Grange if you choose the right one).

post-1605-0-78666000-1499608362.png

post-1605-0-13321800-1499608372.png

A rarer bird - the unique Collett 8-wheeled tender

post-1605-0-12761300-1499608383.png

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps of more general application than the smaller Collett tenders will be the Hawksworth smooth sided 4000 gallon to put behind Halls and Castles (or even a Grange if you choose the right one).

attachicon.gifgwr hawksworth 4000.png

attachicon.gifgwr hawksworth 4000 chassis.png

A rarer bird - the unique Collett 8-wheeled tender

attachicon.gifgwr collett 4000 8w.png

Chris

Excellent news, I had resigned myself to having to scratchbuild a Hawkswoth tender for Clifford Castle.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news, I had resigned myself to having to scratchbuild a Hawkswoth tender for Clifford Castle.

Jerry

So, Clifford Castle will have a tender behind.

Jim

I did consider that but I think it received that ugly double chimney at the same time.

Jerry

The GWR changed tenders often, sometimes twice a year. Some nerdone out there will probably know the complete sequence of tenders that ran with 5098. And the date the double chimney was fitted.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

The GWR changed tenders often, sometimes twice a year. Some nerdone out there will probably know the complete sequence of tenders that ran with 5098. And the date the double chimney was fitted.

Chris

You're almost certainly right Chris and whilst I prefer the Collett tender I quite fancy the Hawksworth one because it will be different to everybody else's. I have a couple of Castles, the other one I would like to backdate to original condition with the small tender which I think was their most attractive condition. It will if course mean that neither of mine use the Farish tender!

Jerry

Chris

Achem! Re. Castle tenders, see 'Locomotives of the Great Western Railway' Part 8: Modern Passenger Classes, page.H16, top right paragraph!  :crazy:

But you only have a short modelling timeframe Jerry, as 5046 ‘Clifford Castle’ (built April 1936), was renamed ‘Earl Cawdor’ just 15 months later in August 1937...  :banghead:

Achem! Re. Castle tenders, see 'Locomotives of the Great Western Railway' Part 8: Modern Passenger Classes, page.H16, top right paragraph!  :crazy:

But you only have a short modelling timeframe Jerry, as 5046 ‘Clifford Castle’ (built April 1936), was renamed ‘Earl Cawdor’ just 15 months later in August 1937...  :banghead:

The name was reused twice, next on 5071 that became 'Spitfire', and finally on 5098.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GWR_4073_Class_locomotives

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Achem! Re. Castle tenders, see 'Locomotives of the Great Western Railway' Part 8: Modern Passenger Classes, page.H16, top right paragraph! :crazy:

But you only have a short modelling timeframe Jerry, as 5046 ‘Clifford Castle’ (built April 1936), was renamed ‘Earl Cawdor’ just 15 months later in August 1937... :banghead:

5046 was just the first go at Clifford Castle. 5071 was named Clifford Castle when built in June 38 before being renamed Spitfire in September 1940.

5098 was built in May 1946 and did keep the Clifford name until withdraw, in 1964.

I've never seen a picture of either 5046 or 5071 before they were renamed but if anyone has ......!

Jerry

Edit to say that Chris beet me to it!

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 1

5046 was just the first go at Clifford Castle. 5071 was named Clifford Castle when built in June 38 before being renamed Spitfire in September 1940.

5098 was built in May 1946 and did keep the Clifford name until withdraw, in 1964.

I've never seen a picture of either 5046 or 5071 before they were renamed but if anyone has ......!

Jerry

Edit to say that Chris beet me to it!

Whoops! I thought there was something wrong with my rationale. Oh dear. Thanks Jerry.  :mosking:

Edited by Phil Copleston

It's on the left in my copy!

Edited by oily

• RMweb Gold

Phil there would have been a problem with finding a Hawksworth Tender in 1936/7. Still Jerry is lucky to have three choices of Clifford Castle.

Don