CAD Applications - Payware, Freeware, Updates and trial versions

• 1 month later...

another one for the list .... TinkerCAD.

This is a browser only application that is free for non commercial use, seems to have a large 'customer base' and plenty of support via forums / youtube - hopefully this translates into 'its a good application'

one really nice feature ... it includes a virtual Arduino simulator for those projects that you been meaning to test/develop but don't have the required hardware / bench space. It appears to have the standard Arduino IDE so your projects can be downloaded to the 'real thing' when you're ready.

I've only followed the 3D tutorials so far, I haven't any significant experience of any other 3D packages to date so cannot comment on 'comparisons'.

The drawing workspace does appear to be limited to a cube of 200mm - typical printer volume ?

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having a go at DesignSpark recently. While not perfect, it is free and looks like a good choice for components. It is Mechanical Design based so works to a few decimal places.

I have not found out if 2D .dxf can be imported for extrusion. What looks good, especially for smaller parts is the ease with which a face can be set as the drawing plane. Extrusions are automatically subtracted through a solid.

Most intuitive, of the freebies I have tried, so far. Still working at it, but is looking promising.

David

• 4 months later...

Arriving at this thread a bit late but I've been using opensource FreeCAD (https://www.freecadweb.org/) for a while; mostly on Linux systems but there are also Windows and Apple versions.

It's a very powerful 2D/3D CAD application but relatively easy to use with good online support forums and most importantly free for personal and commercial use.

Simon

• 4 months later...

Archived